Are you a 1st cat?

Robin AtkinsRobin Atkins Member Posts: 298
edited 21 September, 2008 in Plus Friendly
By that I mean.....were you the first cat to join your human family? I was for my Mom. She and I were best friends for almost 13 years. We lived in 3 states and had lots of happy times. One of my Mom's favorite memories of me is when I tore the apartment up when they were gone...and when they came home, they thought someone broke in. Mom called me and I came out of the bedroom--saw the living room and looked stunned! MOL!! Another time a bird was sitting on the window ledge and I bounced off the glass trying to get the bird! That hurt! It took my Mom quite a few years to get another cat. Any more 1st cats?

Comments

• Kristen MaranciakKristen Maranciak PittsburghMember Posts: 560
    edited 27 July, 2008
    Hi Stormy :-h I was the first kitty in my house too!! Now there are six of us now. I am the big brother of the group. I keep them all in line when the get out of control :)):)):)). I loved being the only kitty but I also love my siblings...
  • Robin AtkinsRobin Atkins Member Posts: 298
    edited 27 July, 2008
    Wally, I was an only cat when I was around Mom. Before we left for CA, we lived with her Mom/Dad and they had a cat named Whiskers. From what I've been watching at Mom's house, she has so many cats....for her! Three!! Of course, I would've been the king. :))
  • Kristyn LuksKristyn Luks Member Posts: 32,266
    edited 27 July, 2008
    I was the first kitty my mommy has ever owned. I am very special to her and it was hard letting me go to the Rainbow Bridge, but now I am pain free. Mommy thinks that I was the most unique cat ever. I loved to ride in my stroller. (in the house because I was an indoor kitty) She would open it up and I would hop right in and paw at her through the gap while she was taking me for a ride through the house. I chased stuff animal toys like a dog! I seriously would play fetch, MOL! I would also chew on the stuffies fur. There are more memories of me that will never be forgotten but I thought I would share a few on the Catster forums. |/a/|
    edited 27 July, 2008
    Min, My Mom put me on a leash and walked me like a :q!! When people would see that they would just look at the crazy cat lady. :)) Mom didn't want to lose me and she was constantly fighting my urinary disease....and later liver disease. Sometimes people would see me and think I was the cat from the movie "Pet Semetary" -- Churchill. The only thing we had in common was the fur color and eyes.....
  • Kristen MaranciakKristen Maranciak PittsburghMember Posts: 560
    edited 28 July, 2008
    My Mommy and Daddy put us outside on ropes in the yard. We started on leashes and then moved to the cat runs. We love to go outside...but only with supervision...we are allowed to walk all around the yard! It is so much fun.
  • Liz LaButeLiz LaBute Liberty Twp(Cincinnati)Member Posts: 17,745
    edited 28 July, 2008
    I was my momma's first kitty. We've been together since I was about 10 weeks old and now I'm 15. She used to put a leash on me & we'd walk, but just on the sidewalk. That was a long time ago though. Now I am big brofur to Chip, who is just a couple years younger than me and Rudy & Maggie who are just over a year old. Those two are enough to keep an old cat young! :)):))
  • Eloise AbrahamEloise Abraham WimbledonMember Posts: 313
    edited 6 August, 2008
    I'm the first and only cat that my mum and dad have had together they have had me nearly 10 years and been married nearly 14.~a~~a~
  • Lisa BordenLisa Borden MedinaMember Posts: 13,210
    edited 6 August, 2008
    I was mommy's first cat. I'm the one that made her into a cat person! :D Now she says she can't EVER have no cats! I also made my grandpa into a cat person, but that's another story. ;)
  • Ellie CarterEllie Carter SeattleMember Posts: 2,252
    edited 6 August, 2008
    What great topic! I am the first cat mom owned after graduating from college, and really the first one mom was 100% responsible for. Her true first cat passed when she was in high school. We have been through a lot together, several moves (I have lived in 4 states). We have been together 12 years and counting... I am big sister to Sebastian and I am the Queen of the house, hehe... I like car rides and being able to go to Petsmart, I used to even pick out my own toys!
  • Molly StrothkampMolly Strothkamp MesaMember Posts: 1,381
    edited 6 August, 2008
    I was the first cat my mom had ever taken care of. My mom grew up with dogs but no kitties! She had no clue how to be a kitty mom but she figured it out! Of course, being that I was so tiny when she rescued me, I didn\'t really know much about being a kitty, either ~ I tried to nurse off of my doggie sister! We had nearly 9 years together but it didn\'t take long for me to convert my mom into a kitty loving person! |^|
  • Sue KaufmannSue Kaufmann CranfordMember Posts: 1,465
    edited 6 August, 2008
    I'm a first kitty, too. My human waited many years to bring a cat into her home, though she has always liked felines. Now I have a kitty roommate, whom I'm trying to get used to, and the human realizes just how calm I have always been by comparison!
  • Michele PoleMichele Pole StuartMember Posts: 64
    edited 6 August, 2008
    I'm my mommy and daddy's first cat. I remember the day I first came home. So nice and quite, no one else to share them with until my mommy and daddy took me to my check up at the shelter they got me from..... then daddy found a puppy he wanted and they brought the mutt home.....that was the beginning of the end of being the only child. I now share the house with 2 other cats, 2 dogs, 2 bunnies and a bird that talks to much.....MOL. My daddy has limited her visits to any animal shelters. :)):)):)):)):)):))
  • Sarah MinerSarah Miner MaplewoodMember Posts: 3,790
    edited 6 August, 2008
    I was mom's first cat and I am the reason mom fell in love with cats. Mom was more of a dog person before she found me but I turned her into a huge cat lover. Gordy owes me one big time!
  • Niki MattsonNiki Mattson St. PaulMember Posts: 20,360
    edited 6 August, 2008
    Welllll, that depends. If you mean a first kitty that Mommy's had on her own, then yes, I am a first kitty, but what is funny is that Sandy is older than I am, but she's our second kitty! If you mean am I a first kitty that she's ever had in her life, than I'd say no, cuz when Mommy was in her early twenties and still living with Grandma and Grandma's boyfriend, they had two kittens, Scooter and Munchkin (they have a page on Catster) But they only lived with Mommy for a year. .. . long, LONG story. Mommy considers me her first kitty though
  • edited 8 August, 2008
    I was the first kitty. Since I was perfect, Mom thought all kitties would be like me - HA! Boy, was she wrong. When I got close to 1 years old, she thought I was lonely and wanted a buddy, so she got Jasper - HA, was she wrong! We don\'t get along. Only now, 10 years later, does Mom realize that I wanted to be, and am, the only kitty. Too late now, now there are 5 of us. Poor poor me!
  • Denise GraysonDenise Grayson BothellMember Posts: 2,468
    edited 8 August, 2008
    I was mom's first cat. I was a christmas present when she was 16. We had 4 wonderful years together until she moved out. Her parents convinced her that I would be much happier here. But she knew that they would miss both of us going too much so I stayed behind. When I got into my senior years I was moved down to New Mexico with the parents. I lived to be 21.
  • Cris GutierrezCris Gutierrez San FranciscoMember Posts: 808
    edited 9 August, 2008
    My sister and I were not Mama\'s first cats. In fact, she had a tuxedo boy and black girl cat many years ago, and we were like the reincarnation. However, we were Daddy\'s first cats. That\'s because Daddy is allergic to cats. Mama had a lot of convincing to do, and planning, too. Mama put it to Daddy like a proposal for a new business--how they were going to keep the house clean, keep the cats clean, handle air-borne emergencies, reduce contamination and get regular medical treatment for Daddy\'s allergy and asthma. Daddy loves me so much! He always liked cats but didn\'t know you could have one if you were allergic by just doing careful planning.
  • Erika DavisErika Davis TallahasseeMember Posts: 213
    edited 10 August, 2008
    I was the first kitty my mom had as an adult. She had 2 other childhood cats but I was her first kitty "on her own". I was very special to her. I helped her raise Cosette from ten days old, and Cosette has a few of my "habits" . It always makes her smile to Cosette do something that is something I would have done. Cosette missed me too when I went to the bridge. She and mommy helped each other deal with it.
  • Benji ThompsonBenji Thompson Member Posts: 7,380
    edited 11 August, 2008
    I was a first kitty. %:D% Then, Faithers joined our pack. When I passed in *2000, Tigger joined. And, now, Faith is up here to keep me company. Now, the humans have 4 cats! That's a lot of kitties! We watch over them all the time. The kitties seem happy. There were other cats before me. But, I was the first kitty in my eyes. I was king of the house.
  • Lauren Di GiorgioLauren Di Giorgio Somewhere over the rainbowMember Posts: 11,617
    edited 20 August, 2008
    First of all, Stormy you have such beautiful wings!!:h::D No, my mom had 6 cats before me. Now she has only me. She says I'm her favorite, though.:c9
  • Nicole JonesNicole Jones Fort CollinsMember Posts: 128
    edited 21 August, 2008
    I was the first kitty, but I only got to be the only cat for about a month. She liked having me so much that a few weeks later, she went out and unexpectedly adopted a second kitty. I have only been with my family since October but I know that they are my forever family. I even moved with them half-way across the country in May. I am the cat that turned my mom into a cat person. Now, there are 2 cats and 1 dog in this house, plus mom & dad.
  • Lorraiane TaylorLorraiane Taylor New JerseyMember Posts: 7
    edited 21 August, 2008
    yes i was the "first cat" my momma found me. i was a stray. she has fed me, bathed me, and loved me for "22" yrs. i had a real scare last nite (aug 21) my doggie brother opend the brezzeway do,(he knows how) and momma didnt know so i walked out.. she looked for me for 2 hours, she was crying.. it was getting dark , i dont know how but she did not give up. when she saw me she picked me up and kissed me ,plus crying, she got my fur really wet. i cant see or hear to good anymore. but i know she would not keep looking!!!~a~
    edited 30 August, 2008
    Wow!! Thanks guys! I loved reading all the stories....1st cats or not. %:D% Happy Labor Day.
  • Debra PietrowskiDebra Pietrowski Sussex CountyMember Posts: 1,833
    edited 31 August, 2008
    I liked baby KITTERs story ! So happy meowmy found you!
  • Tiffany CarsonTiffany Carson St. MarysMember Posts: 15,800
    edited 1 September, 2008
    I was my special human's first cat. ~Tinker Bell|/a/|
  • Stephanie NikolaiStephanie Nikolai Member Posts: 355
    edited 18 September, 2008
    I am Momma's first (an only right now). Mom went off to college and was so lonley for an animal (she grew up with a dog). She went to the humane society on a whim and started to look around. She spotted me in a cage, she remembers that their was a very large intact male brown tiger next to me, he was very handsome and nice too! She asked to see me and I curled up in her lap and just purred and purred. Well, Momma had never even HELD a cat before this but thought that this purring business was something special. I sure tricked her, cuz I purred for anyone! She decided, why not? She filled out an application... she literally knew NOTHING about cats, and had maybe touched 2 other cats her entire life. But what can you say, it was love! A few years later after Mom was done with school she applied for a job at the shelter I am from. She now gets to educate people about cats, dogs, ferrets, rabbits, rats and everything else!! She always smiles to herself when someone walks in knowing nothing about cats and falls in love, they sure don't know what they are in for!!
    edited 20 September, 2008
    Coolness!! This is still being replied to!! =D> Lots of great stories. Thanks to all who shared theirs.
  • Lucybelle GLucybelle G Member Posts: 96
    Yes, I am! I am my mommy's first cat and am very special to her. My mommy has always wanted a cat but never really get to being owned by one. I somehow came into mommy's life when she decided to rescue me. I am really lucky because mommy is showering me with so much love and treating me like a real princess! ;c;
  • maya mathewsmaya mathews Member Posts: 471
    Yes, I'm the first. :)
  • Virginia WiningerVirginia Wininger SummervilleMember Posts: 47,633
    Nope, my mom and dad had Myles, and orange kitty first. He was my mom's first V-day present from my dad. He was one cool cat from what I hear:?=; A year after he went missing they got Indy and I. We love it here and mom and dad love us too:D