Fizzy-Bubbleh needs your help!!

Amanda CooleyAmanda Cooley KilnMember Posts: 11
edited 30 August, 2008 in Cat Health
My cat Fizzy is a black and white male domestic shorthair. he has been healthy for his entire life...until today (august 23, 2008) when he came up to the porch. he wouldn't jump up from the ground like he usually does. he just sat there. so i had to go get him...when i did, i noticed this massive lump under his chin. it was very mushy, and he didn't seem to want to move too much. i tried to feed him, but he just sniffed at it and didn't even touch it. please help us! idk what's wrong :(

Comments

• Diane ChewDiane Chew Member Posts: 1,094
    edited 23 August, 2008
    Oh, please take this baby to the vet. There is not much that an online community can do! As much as people want to help, it may be best to take this baby to a vet to determine the problem. Please do not wait too long to be diagnosed. We hope the best for your baby!
  • Nicole ZiembaNicole Ziemba Member Posts: 295
    edited 23 August, 2008
    Being on the porch...is that an inside porch or an outside porch? Could it be puss? Like an infection from another cat bite or another animal? Let us know what you find out.
  • Amanda CooleyAmanda Cooley KilnMember Posts: 11
    edited 23 August, 2008
    it's an outside porch. why? and we can't take him to the vet cuz we don't have vet money.
    edited 23 August, 2008
    i don't think it's puss, it was harder than that. it felt like a gland, but that's not where his glands are. it kinda looked like he had a 2nd chin, but he's not overweight and i think only humans get extra chins anyways...omg idk what to do...
  • Nicole ZiembaNicole Ziemba Member Posts: 295
    edited 23 August, 2008
    We just asked if it was outside or inside (in FLA we have inside porches/lanais)....I was trying to feel out the possibility if it is an injury from another cat if your cat is an outdoor cat.
  • Arlye DruryArlye Drury DartmouthMember Posts: 826
    edited 23 August, 2008
    Fizzy probably has an abcess and needs medical attention. He needs antibiotics NOW!
  • Stephanie PowellStephanie Powell Member Posts: 1
    edited 23 August, 2008
    My cat had something similar a few years ago; it was puss built up over several months from an infection that started when he got in a fight with another cat. It was very painful but we didn't know about it because he was a very fluffy cat and it was on his back, hidden. The vet drained the wound and put a cone on his head. There is vet insurance you can purchase and it would be beneficial to take him NOW before it turns into something more serious and requires surgery.
  • Annalisa Conserti-JonesAnnalisa Conserti-Jones Member Posts: 5,234
    edited 23 August, 2008
    Yeah, please phone his vet and ask if they can arrange for you to pay the bill over time. Sometimes if you've been a patient for a while and you have other emergencies, a vet knows you and is willing to work with you. It is not going to get better on its own, it needs attention.
    edited 23 August, 2008
    By the way, has Fizzy been neutered? That's one way to cut down on the fighting that intact males do, resulting in this type of injury.
  • Sharon BraatenSharon Braaten Great BarringtonMember Posts: 842
    edited 23 August, 2008
    Please PLEASE see the vet ASAP!!! This sounds like it could be very serious! Most vets will arrange a payment plan! Let us know how you're doing!!!!!!!!
  • Melissa FordMelissa Ford Santa CruzMember Posts: 3,914
    edited 23 August, 2008
    You need to find the money to see a vet because this will not go away on it's own. It sounds like an abscess, likely from a cat fight. It will rupture and then fill up with pus again. Your cat needs surgery and antibiotics. He will continue to act lethargic and possibly stop eating if he doesn't get treated. Ask a friend, neighbor or family member for financial help. Apply for a credit card, apply for care credit. your cat needs to see a vet TODAY!!!!!!!!
  • Greg StawinogaGreg Stawinoga So. HollandMember Posts: 1,000
    edited 23 August, 2008
    We agree with every kitty, you need to see a vet ASAP, if not right now. this sounds like it will not go away on its own. please get this kitty some help.
  • Crystal FoggCrystal Fogg Member Posts: 370
    edited 23 August, 2008
    Hi Fizzy-Bubbleh, We agree with everyone that you need to go to the vet. I bumped up the "help with vet bills" thread, which you may find useful if cost is a factor.
    edited 25 August, 2008
    no he's not neutered. we (me and my 2 sisters) were supposed to pick out one cat each and they would be spayed or neutered and my mom never took them to the vet to get it done. BUT, i have good news about Fizz. Sunday (yesterday) he started to eat a little and sat in my lap. I really think he's getting better, though the lump is still there. fizzy-bubbleh and i thank you for your support. :)
  • Lissa NicholsonLissa Nicholson SydneyMember Posts: 1,562
    edited 25 August, 2008
    If Fizzy has an infection in his chin, which sounds likely, he will not just get better on his own. Please take him to the vet. And please take him to get neutered. Otherwise, you will only further contribute to the overpopulation problems. Regardless of whether your mum said she would do something or not, you must follow through on the responsibilities you have to this cat, which you accepted when you picked him out. You have a responsibility to seek medical treatment for him. It may pay to remember that in certain places, failure to provide veterinary care when you suspect a health problem is regarded as cruelty, and action can be taken.
    edited 25 August, 2008
    I agree with Suey...Fizzy needs medical attention - NOW. He will not get "better" on his own. He could get septic from this problem and die! There must be low-cost spay and neuter clinics in your area - check the phone book and look into it. If you can't afford to care for your kitty properly, maybe you should consider re-homing him/them? good luck!
    edited 25 August, 2008
    I'm glad he's feeling a bit better today but this is only temporary. I have been bit by lots of cats (been in the veterinary profession for 15 years) and antibiotics are Rx'd 99.9% of the time. The infections are serious and potentially life threatening. Your cat will not get better without treatment. You need to schedule an appointment and have the abscess taken care of. While the vet has him sedated have him neutered at the same time. If you are not going to have him neutered, he MUST stay inside. He is at risk for additional wounds form cat fights, roaming for miles to search for a mate, being hit by a car, attacked by a wild animal among other things. If you can't afford his treatment now what will you do when something more serious happens? In addiction, you are adding to the over population of cats by not having him neutered. We are not talking about a few cats here...we are talking about him potentially being the father to thousands. Spay the female, neuter the male and get the abscess taken care of NOW!!!!!
  • Lisa DaversLisa Davers SacramentoMember Posts: 3,642
    edited 25 August, 2008
    Glad to hear that Fizzy is feeling better, but this could just be temporary if the abscess has burst/drained. If it is a bite would it will heal over and start to fill up again. Try calling round local cat rescue places and the ASPCA/Humane Society to find one who can help you with low cost spay/neuter. Tell them he may also have a bite/infected wound and see if their vet can check that at the same time. You should get all the details and convince your mom to get it done. Fizzy will be friendlier/get into less fights once he's neutered and live a longer healthier life. Get the details for your mom and bug her til she takes care of Fizzy and your sisters cats.
  • emma clarkeemma clarke Nottingham Robin Hood CountryMember Posts: 6,819
    edited 25 August, 2008
    Firstly, it's true what all the other posters say, you have to try to get your mom or whoever is responsible to get Fizzy to a vet. An infected wound can poison the bloodstream and be fatal. It's also true that you should be neutered - I believe it's the single most beneficial thing a pet owner can do for their pet. In the meantime, IF it is an abscess, you can try to do something to help, although this DOES NOT replace the advice and treatment of a vet, just something you can do before you get to the vet, if you suspect the lump could be caused by an infected wound. Make some warm salt water solution using cooled down boiled water and salt (about a teaspoon of salt per pint of water). Get a pad of clean cotton wool and make it wet with the warm salt water. This is called a warm compress. Hold this over the lump for as long as Fizzy will let you. This will encourage the pus to come out of the abscess. Keep doing this with clean cotton wool and warm salt water until you can get to the vet. The pus is better getting out of there than trapped in and the warmth of the compress will encourage this. I know this is really gross but it will could help Fizzy if it is an abscess. Of course the lump could be something entirely different to an abscess and that's why you need to get him to a vet ASAP. Purrs ~ Peppie.
  • Sharon BraatenSharon Braaten Great BarringtonMember Posts: 842
    edited 25 August, 2008
    Owning a pet is a serious responsibility. If your cat is in pain and suffering from infection, it is your duty to get help and treatment for him. This cat is helpless and relies on you to take care of him. And keeping an un-neutered male outdoors is simply unacceptable. There are so many unwanted cats and kittens in this world, that you simple can not let more come into the world and not care. This poor cat needs medical attention right away! He could DIE from an infection!!!!
    edited 25 August, 2008
    To Fizzy"s owner: I know you are young and I do understand the appeal of a cute little kitten. I also understand that it is NOT your fault that your mom did not follow through in getting your kitten neutered. But judging by the way you have written in this forum, (pretty good grammar and well formed sentences) you are not a baby. You need to do some research by getting names and numbers and giving them to your mother ,who should then be a responsible adult, and make sure your pet(s) get the care that they need and deserve. Having a pet is a responsibility that should be taken seriously. If you can't afford to do this, seriously consider giving your pet a chance at a better life by getting them a new and better home.
    edited 30 August, 2008
    we finally found out what the problem with fizzy was. we called our aunt over here and she has medical experience. she said...well this is really gross, but it was indeed a maggot. don't worry, we got it out, and i have been cleaning it with peroxide and neosporin. see? we didn't have to go to the vet and spend money we don't have. thnx guys :)
  • shannon szuszalskishannon szuszalski ABQMember Posts: 1,542
    edited 30 August, 2008
    I hope Fizzy gets better with this treatment, but I agree with the other posters. I still think a look-see by a vet is in order. He may need oral antibiotics since this has gone on for some time. I know how expensive veterinary care can be, and it is hard with times being so tough, but if you can find a way, I think Fizzy would benefit. We are purring for him.
    edited 30 August, 2008
    I still think you need to see a vet. If you found 1 maggot chances are there are more. Also maggots eat DEAD tissue...yes that's right...a maggot would not be found in an area where the tissue was healthy. Please get into a vet. Your cat is still at risk. there is obviously infection or rotting tissue somewhere. You need to spend the money to see a qualified veterinarian not just someone who has medical knowledge...this person can't fix the underlying problem but a vet can!
    edited 30 August, 2008
    oh by the way...hydrogen peroxide can actually inhibit regrowth of healthy tissue...STOP using it. Neosporin can actually trap infection in...STOP using it. If you want to clean the area use plain water with a small amount of soap and be very sure you are rinsing the area completely after washing it. But I still say see a vet!!!!!
  • Diane ChewDiane Chew Member Posts: 1,094
    edited 30 August, 2008
    Oh.My.Cat. A maggot? That is not good news. Poor kitty really needs help. If tissue is dying and maggots are there now, how can you be sure that more tissue is not dying daily and the infection is not spreading? Please, please tell your mom Fizzy needs to be seen by a vet!
  • Annalisa Conserti-JonesAnnalisa Conserti-Jones Member Posts: 5,234
    edited 30 August, 2008
    Listen to Hunter. He's right. Medications that work on humans can actually harm cats. This baby needs vet care. Period. I understand that your mom can't afford it, but you can always find a way. You can try and call around low cost vets and ask them if they can accept a schedule of payments. You can see if there is assistance for low income persons to obtain vet care in your area. I know my area has two veterinary organizations that allow people who are below the poverty line or live in neighborhoods that are predominantly low income to have their pets receive free neutering and vet care, and given these options, pet owners who have access to this kind of care and still persist in refusing to avail themselves of it can be fined for cruelty and have pets taken away from them, which is a lot more expensive than just finding out about these resources and using them. Your area might have these programs too, and since you are using the web, you can use that to search for them. Worse case scenario, you can ask each and every person you know that knows you have a kitty a small loan, whatever they can spare, so you can put enough money together to have him seen. Edit: Actually, you live in the Biloxi area, right? Then the ASPCA can help you. They opened a new shelter in Southern MS in 2006, and they are focusing their efforts in helping more people spay and neuter their pets. See if you can get in touch with them, they might be able to at least point you to some resources your mom can avail herself of to care for your kitties.
  • shannon szuszalskishannon szuszalski ABQMember Posts: 1,542
    edited 30 August, 2008
    Yes, yes, yes, avail yourself of the help that is out there and see a vet. I hadn't thought of it, but Hunter is right. The maggot is a symptom of a much bigger problem and this kitty needs medical attention. Have you called around to any of these agencies that the other posters have suggested or used the web? You owe it to your kitty to try. Neglecting this problem could have dire consequences.