Diagnosed with Fatty Liver Disease

Neeko McCurtainNeeko McCurtain Member Posts: 2
edited 2 November, 2008 in Cat Health
My name is Neeko and I was just diagnosed with Fatty Liver on Wednesday. My mum found a 2 week old kitten and brought it home to bottle feed and it stressed me out and caused me to stop eating! I spent the last two days in the hospital getting IV fluids, being force fed some A/D and getting some Pepcid and Periactin. My mum was given the option of sending me to have a stomach tube placed or taking me home and trying to force feed me..she chose to bring me home! The doc sent me home with some Valium, Pepcid and Periactin. The valium makes me kind of sleepy but it makes me RAVENOUS to eat. My mum was doing a bit of research about Valium and it\'s affect on my liver and is worried about giving it to me now. Has anybody else used Valium with fatty liver kitties? I\'m getting 1mg of Valium in the morning and 2mgs of Periactin, and some pepcid in the evening. Right now I\'m being fed 6CC of A/D every 4 hours to start. She offered me some tuna this morning and boy, was it delish! I love the tuna water! Mom is trying to sneak some tuna into my water to make it taste a bit better so I\'ll drink it. Right now she\'s poking me with 100mls sub-q once a day.. I\'m not too pleased, let me tell you. I don\'t feel great and am pretty weak but I hope to make a full recovery!!! purrrs! Neeko!

Comments

• shannon szuszalskishannon szuszalski ABQMember Posts: 1,542
    edited 30 August, 2008
    We don't know anything about the valium, but we are purring hard for you to recover, little one! |:|
  • Christine PereiraChristine Pereira Member Posts: 3
    edited 31 October, 2008
    Hi Neko- I was also diagnosed with fatty liver disease last week and on my third day of the feeding tube. We have no idea how it started but it may be to a new food that i started eating last month. Thanks for the advice on the tuna, i will try that. I am usually an extremely active cat but since i got sick, i have been really sleepy so I don't even need valium. I am taking pepcid every 8 hours, 1cc of liver medicine once a day and am up to 30ccs of liquid food every fours hours. I mostly sleep all day now and am just starting to move around. I wonder if you even need the valium??
  • Tina BTina B Vancouver IslandMember Posts: 2,238
    edited 31 October, 2008
    All I know is that you need to need high protein and calories via a feeding tube if you will not eat on your own, to allow the liver to use the excess fat from its cells. Also supplements like SAM-e (S-adenosylmethionine) and milk thistle are good for recovery.
  • Barbara OrrBarbara Orr OhioMember Posts: 1,051
    edited 2 November, 2008
    I had fatty liver....I am all better now.... I was force fed A/D food and water....I never took valium or pepcid...meowmy took me every day to the vet for my fluid treatments...and I got weighed everyday...I was on a couple meds...meowmy will need to check my diary since it\'s been a little over a year since I was sick...so she doesn\'t remember the exact names of them....you can go read my diary....we posted almost daily of all that I was going through...so maybe that will help you!! When I was sick, I lost weight....then gained...then lost weight...BUT I did get better...you need high protein food (A/D canned food) The food I finally gave in to eat was tuna juice and then the Meow Mix food that comes in the pouches.(and the meow mix that comes in the little orange cups) ..it doesn\'t have any by-products in it and it\'s YUMMY...I still eat some everyday....there are a few flavors that have wheat glutin in them but meowmy doesn\'t buy those...but there are some that taste like canned tuna.. Hang in there...and we\'ll help however we can!