Good food, bad treats?

Haley SalitrosHaley Salitros Member Posts: 107
edited 9 September, 2008 in Food & Nutrition
I was wondering if anyone else had this same problem: Sneakers is on a good food now, but every type of "healthy" treat i've put under his nose, he has ignored. So, I went back and got some stupid Friskie's tender chicken treats and he's happy. I figure if he's getting the good stuff 99% of the time, a bad treat for being good during his eyedrops or a brushing isn't too terrible. I think of it like when I buy myself a Big Mac. :D Anyone have this problem?

Comments

• Forrest JenkinsForrest Jenkins Member Posts: 439
    edited 7 September, 2008
    Mine like "junk" treats. But instead of a catfood treat, I give tiny pieces of feta cheese or chicken or turkey. It's better for them than the crappy treats, and they get just as excited to be rewarded!
  • Chrysee HinshawChrysee Hinshaw Member Posts: 474
    edited 7 September, 2008
    I don't think it's a problem. People occasionally have things of absolutely no nutritional value (ie soda or anything else full of corn syrup) and I really don't think there would be any ill effects if the diet was otherwise appropriate.
  • Sharon BraatenSharon Braaten Great BarringtonMember Posts: 842
    edited 7 September, 2008
    You can't be good all the time! MOL :)) Mom tried to give up sugar and one day she went nuts and ate a bunch of cakes from the bakery. Haha! I like the idea of feta or chicken snacks. =;
  • kate vonkkate vonk BoiseMember Posts: 1,313
    edited 7 September, 2008
    I do exactly the same thing. My cats are obsessed with the Whiskas Temptations treats. They get one of them every couple days. Other than those, they eat a healthy dry food and sometimes, Fancy Feast because it is their favorite wet food, and they don't waste it unlike some of the more expensive brands.
  • Donna SearsDonna Sears BostonMember Posts: 57
    edited 7 September, 2008
    I am on wet and raw mixed in now so Mommy actually uses the EVO or Taste of the Wild kibble as treats. I get a few every now and then!
  • Benji ThompsonBenji Thompson Member Posts: 7,380
    edited 7 September, 2008
    I don't see what's wrong with it. Why should I be allowed to eat cookies and ice cream while my cats only treat is a treat he won't even touch? I must admit, the only treats Gypsy will touch are the Friskies ones. The only treats Malik will touch are the Pounce ones. The only treats Noble will touch are the Meow Mix ones. Chance enjoys a good Milkbone from time to time. And, Lilo loves the heck out of a Meaty Bone. And, I'm thinking about trying the new Friskies on Gypsy to see if he likes, them, too. A treats just that; a treat.
  • emma clarkeemma clarke Nottingham Robin Hood CountryMember Posts: 6,819
    edited 7 September, 2008
    As my great grandma used to say: "A little bit of what you fancy, does you good!"
  • Heide LevineHeide Levine Member Posts: 313
    edited 7 September, 2008
    Awwww Sneakers my kindrid kitty! :-h Of course it won't hurt! If Sneakums won't eat the "good for you" treats... then he won't eat them... it's not like you feed it as his base nutrition!! I say doughnuts and twinkies are good for you!! Especially Krispy Kremes! ~a~~a~
  • Valerie DurhamValerie Durham Member Posts: 8,724
    edited 8 September, 2008
    I don\'t usually give my cats treats...perhaps this is more of an American than a Japanese custom? :-k
  • Maggie BradshawMaggie Bradshaw Member Posts: 506
    edited 9 September, 2008
    Phil gets Evo Dry and several different good canned foods for his main food, and gets a greenie every once in a while or some sprinked on Spot's Vit-a-littles (or something like that) it jsut dried out salmon bits he likes pretty well. they have other flavors too. its just meat, nothing else added.
  • Beastie_and_the_BoysBeastie_and_the_Boys Marquette, MI / ChicagoMember Posts: 17,806 ✭✭✭
    edited 9 September, 2008
    We always get treats as positive reinforcement for things like nail clippings, taking medicine, etc. I don't think there's anything wrong with treats being "junk food." Treats are, by definition, something which is only supposed to taste good and not to provide balanced nutrition. Even the healthier treats should be given in moderation. As long as they are only given occasionally and not a significant source of calories, I don't think they're going to hurt anykitty.
  • Jenna LuskJenna Lusk Pacific NWMember Posts: 2,034
    edited 9 September, 2008
    We won't eat treats - good or bad. Mommy has tried! But we do like turkey from the deli. Yummy!!!! Mommy says "bad" treats are good in moderation for both kitties and people. Like Leaf's mom, my mom quit sugar. She went about a year and a half without it. But she allows herself little splurges on occasion. That's how she lost 40 lbs and is keeping it off!