Cheap canned and Diarhea

Gloria BixlerGloria Bixler Mansfield/ ArlingtonMember Posts: 7
edited 12 September, 2008 in Food & Nutrition
After doing the research my mom decided that canned was the way to go with for me. At first she tried to feed me some canned Friskies, but it gave me a nasty case of diarhea(can\'t spell). So, we decided to stay Science Diet dry kitten food for a week to get me back to normal. A couple of days ago we started By Nature canned and everything has been fine, no nasty poop. However, mom is thinking about trying the canned Wellness, since she\'s read so many good things about that brand. Before starting me on the Wellness, we would like to find out what in the Friskies brand might have given me the diarhea. That way mom can make sure that it\'s not in the Wellness canned, before we decided to give it a try, or any other brand for that matter. Any thoughts on the cause of the Friskies diarhea? Also, is it common for cheaper brands to cause the diarhea? Thanks

Comments

• Beastie_and_the_BoysBeastie_and_the_Boys Marquette, MI / ChicagoMember Posts: 17,806 ✭✭✭
    edited 10 September, 2008
    Sudden, abrupt dietary changes of any kind can cause stomach and intestinal upset in kitties. Any changes in diet should be made gradually. As far as if there was something about the Friskies in particular that caused the problem, it's possible. The lower quality foods tend to have more ingredients from more sources, mostly in the form of mystery-meat by-products and various fillers, so there's probably a better chance of encountering something you have a sensitivity to. Of course, Science Diet is about the same in that respect. So I'd guess it was probably more an issue of something different than what you were used to. :?
  • Debra PietrowskiDebra Pietrowski Sussex CountyMember Posts: 1,833
    My brofur and I eat Wellness canned and EVO dry - We love it, and it does our bodies good! hehehehe Its expensive, but we are worth it. Dont you agree - only the best for us catsters. |/h/| shake what yo momma gave ya!
  • Maggie BradshawMaggie Bradshaw Member Posts: 506
    at the shelter Phil was on Eukanuba wet food and (sorry for the graphic description) but he had explosive diarrea. believe me, i had to clean out his cage once. I found out he had food allergies and now he is on EVO dry and rotating between Weruva and Nature;s variety wet. He's sooo much better now, but still has what I call "pudding poop" but it;s hasn't been that long. I think limited and quality ingredients make a huge difference. He has much more energy now too and his coat is not as greasy as it was in the shelter.e
  • Gloria BixlerGloria Bixler Mansfield/ ArlingtonMember Posts: 7
    Thanks everyone. After reading your responses I've decided to try the Wellness canned, only gradually.
  • Diane WallineDiane Walline Hamlin (suburb of Rochester)Member Posts: 500
    We are dry only kitties and get wet food a few times a month as a treat. For our dry food we eat a mix of wellness and innova evo (we like both a whole lot) so mom usually would give us wellness cans. Last time mom had to lock us in the bathroom while we got new windows put in our place and she wanted to give us wet food so we knew we werent being punished. she was short on time so she ran around the corner and got us friskies canned. she put out half a can for me and Jewel to share but we both threw up and had diareah the next day. Daddy who was originally convinced that supermarket brands were fine told mom thats what she got for feeding us that stuff. Our little bellys werent used to all that stuff thats in supermarket brands! Mom has to go tomorrow to get us more dry food and since weight is becomming an issue in our house mom said she might get lots of wellness cans for us =D>
  • Janet & David MacdonaldJanet & David Macdonald Upper TantallonMember Posts: 12
    edited 11 September, 2008
    We have the same trouble here ,,Friskers canned food and dry food ,,,poor little Hopper had explosive poopies too ,,then we switched to just chunkie canned food ,,seemed to work ,,but once in awhile it happens ,, Ralph and I don't have this problem and we eat the same stuff ,,, Even since the arrival of Hopper , Ralph to our home I love having them here ,,,we runs around the house playing with them ,,since I am a year older sometimes I play too rough but they get back at me ,,,by sneaking up and jumping on me when I am not looking or just resting then running ,,silly kitties eh |/h/|
  • Debra PietrowskiDebra Pietrowski Sussex CountyMember Posts: 1,833
    Wow! it seems alot of us catsters are on Evo and Wellness three cheers for the good food;c;
  • Kristen DowneyKristen Downey Member Posts: 1
    When I got my kitties I was very firm in that I was only going to feed them the good, healthy cat food. The only problem was I got them rather unexpectedly and before I was prepared for them, so I only had science diet dry food and friskies cans. Anywho the point is I had to feed them that until I could get more and they just liked it so much I've kept them on it. And I've never had a problem with them having diarea
  • Barbara DelviscioBarbara Delviscio SomerdaleMember Posts: 6
    Too many carbohydrates, corn meal filler in some catfood can cause diarrhea. My mom feeds me and my housemate EITHER Evo or Innova dry kibble; and as a special treat we might get some canned Innova. Yum, yum . . . this food agrees with our tummies. One time, Sebastian had a diarrhea issue. Mommy gave him an herbal remedy called Plantaeris (spelling?) and within 3 applications (of 4 drops each), he was back to normal =D>~a~:)) Barbara
  • Nanaho SawanoNanaho Sawano Member Posts: 108
    I agree with Beatrice, the change in food can be a big factor in diarrhea... Trooper and I normally produce just a few medium sized, next to odorless poops a day on our all-wet food diet. But a few weeks ago the human had to leave us for one night without anyone to feed us, so she gave us a large bowl full of Innova Evo dry along with a large bowl of water. When she got back and opened the door...she was hit by the stench of our diarrhea, mine and Trooper's both. Innova Evo dry was the kibble we used to eat before we were gradually switched to an all-wet food diet, and we had never had any digestive problems while we were on the dry food diet. But after many months of just wet food...I suppose the sudden return to dry was a complete jolt to our systems. Of course, a few days later back on our all-wet diet, we were right back to normal.
  • Trica ReynaTrica Reyna JacknsonvilleMember Posts: 280
    edited 12 September, 2008
    I had the same problem for a long long time. Fancy Feast gave me the runs really bad and even blood in my poop. Mom didn't know what to do and she and dad were trying me on new foods Just because and mom noticed with different foods my poop was runny and some it wasn't. So Now I'm on Blue and Royal cat food and my poop is not runny anymore and I have no more blood in it. Even when I was Sick mom bought me Fancy Feast as a treat, oh boy was that a mistake my poop was icky...