Dear Catster reader,

Almost two years ago, we invested numerous resources and rebuilt the Catster community. With new hardware, software and personnel, we did our best to satisfy the many users who shared their thoughts, pictures, questions, and love for and of their pets with us and friends. It was a thriving community with many users. We hoped, however, there would be more like you.

Times and habits have changed and we are sad to announce that the Catster community will be closing down on July 20, 2019.

Catster magazine, www.catster.com and the associated social media sites are NOT shutting down. We encourage you to continue reading the content found in the pages of the magazine and the web sites, commenting through the mechanisms provided and sharing your ideas and comments with us and your fellow readers.

Instructions for accessing pet profiles were shared with everyone in 2017. The instructions can be found elsewhere within the forum. AFTER JULY 20TH, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ACCESS THIS CONTENT. And, effective immediately, we are no longer able to answer questions about the community.

Thank you for your support and we look forward to serving you through our magazine and website.

Cheers,
Catster

Food causing upset tummy?

Juanita JamesJuanita James DallasMember Posts: 76
edited 18 September, 2008 in Food & Nutrition
My kitten has had diarrhea from the day I adopted him (08/02). The cat rescue had no idea what food he was on prior to me adopting him so I was unable to do a gradual change.I tried feeding him Evo which my other cat was eating at the time and it got worst. Vet said that grain free is to rich for his tummy. I have also been feeding him wet food (wellness & Merrick) He has been dewormed three times since aug 1st. Vet also had him on Albon. Still no improvement. He is currently on Wellness for kittens. Could the wet food be causing or preventing his tummy from getting better:? (Sorry for the long message)

Comments

• Gloria BixlerGloria Bixler Mansfield/ ArlingtonMember Posts: 7
    edited 11 September, 2008
    I would try Nature's Abundance dry, it's supposed to be very gentle on the stomach. It has probiotics and does have some grain, but not the irriating kind. If that works then , I would only keep him on it for a few months, until his stomach gets stronger. Then I would try to gradually transition him to a premium grain-free canned food, such as Evo, wellness, or by nature. Just my opinnion though. I would still ask a holistic vet first.
  • Maggie BradshawMaggie Bradshaw Member Posts: 506
    This might be drastic, but my Phil has had diarrea as long as he has had a medical record (about feb 2008. We don't know his history much before he was in the city shelter) The vet there said to not give him any wet food and only dry cause it was too rich for him. after doing this for a month with no sort of result, I took him to a holistic vet in my area who after a fecal exam and blood test with no parasites or problems, he suggested that Phil probably has a food allergy and should actually be on all wet food, with as little dry as possible since dry food crumbles can irratate his already irratated bowels. He said if a cat has allergies it is usually to grains, beef, or chicken, and to try a grain free diet of "unique protiens" If you want to go dry I would suggest Natural Balance Duck and green pea (It didnt work for Phil cause he has poultry allergies,but Ive heard very good things about it) or Nature's Variety Instinct brand Rabbit formula. Phil has done very well on that. they also have wet formulas with veal, venison, and Rabbit that are good. Also Ziwipeak has a Venison dry formula that is sopposed to be like freeze dried raw instead of kibble and is jerky like. I couldn't get Phil to eat it though. and it's rather pricey. I hope that helped! I've gone through a lot since i first got Phil he is so much better now, but not perfect. Is all else fails, and you really think its a food allergy, another cat names Lucy on the site had an allergy test that told her all her allergies and alist of foods she could eat. I have one more thing up my sleeve for Phil and then thats our next step but i think it runs 300$-400$.
  • Tina BTina B Vancouver IslandMember Posts: 2,238
    Aww Chance you are so cute, has the vet tested your poopies for things like collitis, campylobacter, and such?? You are probably suffering from an allergy to something in the food, Evo can be rich for a new kitty if they are not used to it, but the Wellness maybe your best bet as its not as rich but still has the needed protein. Let us know how it goes ok. Oh and Philbert just thought I'd let ya know the other day I was reading something about the food that you feed, something about the change in the food (the rabbit) or something is making some kitties sick, I just saw it so Im not saying its fact but just thought Id let ya know, you can find it at itchmoforums.com I think that its in the part "Your problems with pet food" You can search though if its not in that part. So just in case anything changes with your kitty:)
  • Nicole ZiembaNicole Ziemba Member Posts: 295
    I agree with Zoe....Life's Abundance is good, maybe even their wet would work for you....but it is a high quality and if you feed it and it works, no need to switch. http://www.trilogyonline.com/Trilogy/Pets/PetsHome.aspx?Ath=False&realname=40011192&hdr=&cat=0
  • Gloria BixlerGloria Bixler Mansfield/ ArlingtonMember Posts: 7
    Oh, thanks Chloe, I'm glad you corrected, I meant "Life's Abundance" not nature's abundance. Just had the name confused. oops.
    Zoe, are names rhyme!! I gave your name as a suggestion to my co-woker who just adopted a kitten. :) Know what, when I read yours, I didn't pick up on the mistake, it flowed since I knew what you were suggesting. :))
  • Juanita JamesJuanita James DallasMember Posts: 76
    Thanks everyone for your suggestions.;c; I never heard of Life's Abundance. Where can I purchase it? Chance has been tested for parasites, dewormed three times since August 1st and was on Albon and still no improvments. I have stopped feeding him wet food to see if that helps. It is very hard because he prefers wet over dry and now he is constantly in the kitchen crying for his wet. This is going to be a big challange. It breaks my heart to have to deprive him of his favorite food :((
    It is a food you have to get online, above is the link that I posted. Hope your belly feels better!
  • Juanita JamesJuanita James DallasMember Posts: 76
    Mom just ordered me sample pack of Life's Abundance. I will keep everyone posted on my progress.
  • Maggie BradshawMaggie Bradshaw Member Posts: 506
    edited 18 September, 2008
    oh my! Shadow, that's interesting! I'll check it out at itchmo! I havnt fed the rabbit in a few weeks but I hope its not something that's affected the other foods! Thank you! I can return the cans I have left!