Dear Catster reader,

Almost two years ago, we invested numerous resources and rebuilt the Catster community. With new hardware, software and personnel, we did our best to satisfy the many users who shared their thoughts, pictures, questions, and love for and of their pets with us and friends. It was a thriving community with many users. We hoped, however, there would be more like you.

Times and habits have changed and we are sad to announce that the Catster community will be closing down on July 20, 2019.

Catster magazine, www.catster.com and the associated social media sites are NOT shutting down. We encourage you to continue reading the content found in the pages of the magazine and the web sites, commenting through the mechanisms provided and sharing your ideas and comments with us and your fellow readers.

Instructions for accessing pet profiles were shared with everyone in 2017. The instructions can be found elsewhere within the forum. AFTER JULY 20TH, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ACCESS THIS CONTENT. And, effective immediately, we are no longer able to answer questions about the community.

Thank you for your support and we look forward to serving you through our magazine and website.

Cheers,
Catster

Gerbil for Dinner

April BennettApril Bennett Terre HauteMember Posts: 97
edited 14 August, 2005 in Behavior & Training
We have 2 gerbils, Ali and Gwen, and I always play with them. We fight through the cage. It's fun. Well, tonight I FINALLY got the cage open, and got Ali! Mom heard a scuffle, and turned and saw me with Ali in my mouth. She was SO mad! She grabbed me and pried my mouth open to get Ali, who went back into the cage. Then Mom swatted my butt HARD! She told me I was a very bad kitty and made me go sit on the floor. (I like to sit on the table next to her). Seriously, I just wanted a taste! I don't see why Mom is so mad at me. Now I can't get into the cage, Mom did something to it so I can't open it again. Mom said it's good that I didn't hurt Ali, or I would be in even MORE trouble. Dad says it's my nature, and Mom is overreacting, but she said even if I am a carnivore, I shouldn't try to eat Ali. Any ideas to keep me from hurting Ali or Gwen again?

Comments

• Keysha AugustineKeysha Augustine Walnut RidgeMember Posts: 25
    edited 27 February, 2006
    My mom has two pet mice and a Cockatiel. She keeps the mice put way up high where I cannot get to them at all. Sometimes when she is there to supervise she puts me up there so I can watch them through the cage! Thats fun! Whats not fun is that she sprays me with water whenever I get too close to the cockatiel...that makes me mad so I stay away from him now!
  • Beastie_and_the_BoysBeastie_and_the_Boys Marquette, MI / ChicagoMember Posts: 17,807 ✭✭✭
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Aragorn-- Your mommy should just let you eat them, then she wouldn't have to worry anymore. ;-) I don't know what else she can do, really, other than what she's done to make sure the cage door is secure. Luckily, gerbils don't live as long as cats, so you'll be around long after they're gone!! It's great to be a cat! :-)
  • April BennettApril Bennett Terre HauteMember Posts: 97
    edited 27 February, 2006
    My new goal is to knock the cage off the table. Maybe if I do that it will come apart and I can get the gerbils! Then agian, if I break the cage, I lose my favorite nap spot on top of the cage. Hmm.....dilemas, dilemas.....
  • Beastie_and_the_BoysBeastie_and_the_Boys Marquette, MI / ChicagoMember Posts: 17,807 ✭✭✭
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Our mommy used to have hamsters and cats in the same household, and she kept the hamsters in aquariums. They're a little harder to knock over or get into. I don't know if that's an option for your gerbil-brothers.
  • Leanne JenkinsLeanne Jenkins Port AngelesMember Posts: 73
    edited 27 February, 2006
    WOW! Way to go Aragorn! And kudos to Ali for surviving the adventure. It's our nature, you can't whup it out of us, we gotta try when we see something furry and rodent-like. Oh, not the answer your human was looking for? Well, we'll see in the end whether cunning and instinct wins over brains and opposable thumbs.
  • edited 27 February, 2006
    Aragorn, it\'s instinctive for you to want to eat a gerbil, so don\'t feel bad about that. I\'d like to eat a gerbil, too. I think your mom needs to find a place for the gerbils that you can\'t get into. Maybe she can put the cage up high somewhere. It\'s good that she fixed the cage so you can\'t get it open again. Ask your mom not to swat your butt though. Kitties don\'t understand that kind of punishment and it might make you afraid of her.
  • April BennettApril Bennett Terre HauteMember Posts: 97
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Mom has only swatted me a few times, usually she uses the evil SQUIRT BOTTLE!!!! She doesn\'t like to swatt me, she doesn\'t really think it will help. Dad swatts me more often, especially when he is sleeping and I bite his nose or feet. Then he gets pretty upset. Mom usually just scruffs me and yells NO! when I bite her. Since Ali\'s near-death experience she hasn\'t taunted me quite as much. I\'ve stopped trying to open the cage since it won\'t work. But I can still attack through the bars! Hehehe!
  • Daisy GeaslandDaisy Geasland GlendaleMember Posts: 1,438
    edited 27 February, 2006
    I\'m nicknamed the gerbil killer my human always had rats but we never hurt them but after the last rat was killed by a very jealous cat who used to live with us ( wasn\'t nature was pure jealousy because she would sleep on hima and he woulden\'t care ) but she got 5 gerbils then I wanted to go investigate there was a small gap I tryed to get behind it and the tankl fell and all the gerbils ran away but I pounced on one and took it downstairs to show my human what I had caught she wasn\'t very happy because it died of shock. I got banned from the room for a whole mounth. Then came the second time one of them escaped I thought it was a play toy so when I grabbed it I played with it not my fault it died. I got banned from going near the gerbils for a VERY long time. That\'s all the gerbils I killed but I have attacked another one. My humans brother let me into the room where the gerbils where running in the balls my human was not happy when she got back but said since I was sat so good she\'d let me unforuntly one escaped from the ball and I grabbed hold of it but my mum was quick enouth and screamed at me after being hit very hard on the head to let go I spent the whole day sulking in the garden. My human saved her thanks to adivce form the vets but anytime the gerbils run free in the balls I have to leave the house but the gerbil tank is now out in the hallway I still watch them but undersupervision because i\'m not trusted. Anyways I know what you mean tell your humans to try moving them in sight up high where movement for you is not easy to do and anytime they are free put in another room or let out but best of luck. The gerbils are not staying with us anymore because we are moving to a bigger house where a dog will be arviving and I can\'t be watched so they are going to live with her best friend who lives 15 minutes away from thier new home.
  • SterlingAndTheSTeamSterlingAndTheSTeam Mount OliveMember Posts: 41,262 ✭✭✭
    edited 27 February, 2006
    The only way is to keep the gerbils separated from you. It's in your nature to kill little, wiggly or feathered creatures. Even putting them up high just creates a challenge for you to try. Years and years ago (I think it was during the stone age), when mom was little, her mom had parakeets but no cats. Then their first cat came. No matter how high they put the birdcages, they would find Reno hanging from them, reaching through the bars for the birds who were, of course, in a panic. As time passed the birds went to the Rainbow Bridge and mom and her mom made the decision . . . if you're going to keep cats, you can't have birds, hampsters, gerbils, etc. Don't forget, the gerbils are probably stressed out knowing that you are around, ready to let nature take its course. Apollo
  • Tara ScarlettTara Scarlett RaynhamMember Posts: 196
    edited 27 February, 2006
    My Mommy told me that when she was little her cat actually got and ripped open one of her hamsters! Her Mommy did hamster first aid and it survived, but after that, Mommy was very careful about closing the cage and keeping a brick on top of it! I have no intrest im Mommy's fishies... but I would like to eat those little loud doggies that Grandma has!
  • Jacqueline HolladayJacqueline Holladay MuscatineMember Posts: 76
    edited 27 February, 2006
    She leaves your food in a cage right in front of you to squirm around and then doesn't allow you to eat them? That is just plain cruel. I mean, honestly, she expects you not to eat them? Does she forget you are a cat? And why is it that she is allowed to eat things like cows, chickens and pigs while you have to eat this wretched processed cat food? Then she taunts you with a tasty gerbil. I think your mom is a sadist.
  • Deb O'NeillDeb O'Neill PerkasieMember Posts: 8,659
    edited 27 February, 2006
    When I came to live with my family, my human brother had three hamsters. They lived in a wooden cage he had made. There was a wire mesh top with a brick on it. I'll never tell how, but I got the brick off one night and the next morning, there were no more hamsters. I didn't actually eat them, but I did kill them. They never brought any more hamsters to our house. Mom says at least she knows I'll take care of any mice that are dumb enough to get in our house!