Dear Catster reader,

Almost two years ago, we invested numerous resources and rebuilt the Catster community. With new hardware, software and personnel, we did our best to satisfy the many users who shared their thoughts, pictures, questions, and love for and of their pets with us and friends. It was a thriving community with many users. We hoped, however, there would be more like you.

Times and habits have changed and we are sad to announce that the Catster community will be closing down on July 20, 2019.

Catster magazine, www.catster.com and the associated social media sites are NOT shutting down. We encourage you to continue reading the content found in the pages of the magazine and the web sites, commenting through the mechanisms provided and sharing your ideas and comments with us and your fellow readers.

Instructions for accessing pet profiles were shared with everyone in 2017. The instructions can be found elsewhere within the forum. AFTER JULY 20TH, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ACCESS THIS CONTENT. And, effective immediately, we are no longer able to answer questions about the community.

Thank you for your support and we look forward to serving you through our magazine and website.

Cheers,
Catster

Food issues, please help!

tigger cattigger cat Member Posts: 23
edited 27 September, 2008 in Food & Nutrition
Our cats are having food issues. Daughter & I have 5 between the 2 of us. They were all on Felidae by Canidae, & one day after opening a new bag, they wanted nothing to do with it! For 2 days they would not eat. Bag was not marked the formula was changed, just like their dog food was not. We called our vet supply where we buy it & after she did some searching found out it was a new formula. So my daughter went & got the Science Diet. I do not agree with her choice. I read the ingredients & I see it has Corn Gluten meal in it & I hear thats not good for alot of cats or dogs. Every day there is throw up. Sometimes twice a day! Sometimes the whole food, but most of the time it's a liquid paste that is the same color as the food. They have been on the Science Diet for about a month now. I want my daughter to change this food for the benefit & well being of our cats. I want her to read the suggestions on a better food for them, & what others think of Science diet. Thank you all in advance. :^:

Comments

• Vanessa BobackVanessa Boback TampaMember Posts: 3,149
    edited 15 September, 2008
    Hey Tigger, I saw the post on dogster about this and recommended www.catinfo.org. It has some good information about cats and nutrition. Science diet is just a horrible food, I cannot say enough about it. It's full of corn, by-products and cheap ingredients for an ultra high price. We eat and LOVE Wellness grain free canned foods and get a small amount of EVO dry. Recommendations: Wellness Innova EVO Nature's Variety Orijen =;
  • Jennifer SzucsJennifer Szucs ChathamMember Posts: 3,765
    Those are all really good foods listed above. Stella had alot of issues with the new felidae as well. But science diet isnt a great food. It causes alot of problems especially allergy related. Wellness is a good food it is richer then most and it really bothered stella. Gave her loose stool and she vomitted alot. Oliver was fine but Oliver is fine on the new felidae formula he isnt sensitive to anything it seems like. Go natural grain free is really good food to. What I did with my cat is go to my usual pet store and I looked at all the cat foods they had and their ingriedients. Went with the best one for my buck. Lucky for me the first one I picked to try was go natural because it worked lol. Usually takes a bit before you can find a food that gets along that well with them.
  • Tina BTina B Vancouver IslandMember Posts: 2,238
    Felidae changed there formula, here is a link about that. http://itchmoforums.com/news-recall-related/canadaefelidae-formula-changes-t6095.0.html I would advice a better food such as Wellness, Natures Variety, or Evo. You have to really watch the labels you have to read them every time you buy a new batch. Due to the high cost of rice alot of company's are changing formulas without even saying such, until its too late, and using up old labels:-/
  • Janet PlymireJanet Plymire IllinoisMember Posts: 344
    edited 16 September, 2008
    Hi Tigger, Like others have said, stay away from Science Diet, it\'s a yucky food. Do you eat wet food? It\'s so much better for you. We eat Wellness canned food and love it! Rasha listed some really good foods you could also look at. But it\'s best to limit feeding dry food at all and eat wet/canned food as your main diet. Also have your daughter read the website Rasha mentioned. It\'s has the most useful information you\'ll find. Click Here Let us know how you\'re doing, OK?
    edited 16 September, 2008
    http://www.petcurean.com/index.php?page_id=154 Bandit can you look at this for me. This is what Stella eats. She has never looked or acted more healthy. I am so happy with the results of this food. But is it bad then for her to be on this food?
    edited 17 September, 2008
    Stella, I had never heard of this food before, but it looks to have very good ingredients in it. Is it the dry food you\'re feeding? I see it\'s made in Canada and did a search on the website for stores that sell it and there a couple right in my area. I will look for it next time. But if Stella is eating it and doing well then I see no problem with her eating this food. If you are only feeding dry, then it\'s very important to make sure you\'re also drinking plenty of water. If you\'re also feeding some wet food, that\'s even better! Let me know what variety it is you are eating and liking.
    edited 18 September, 2008
    Its the grain free trout. Ya I never heard of it either. But the guy that works at the store I always go to suggested it when he heard I was having trouble with the new felidae. I looked at the ingredients and from all that I know it looked really good. Which is good because I was in that store forever it seemed like lol. I was having trouble finding a decent food. They dont have a good cat selection their dog selection seems better. I wanted Orijen. They sell all different flavors of Orijen for dogs but nothing for cats lol. I never knew about cats and the whole water thing. I found out on animal planet rescue. Then I came online and did some research thats when I posted here. My cats never got any wet before. I think I am going to wait to make sure Stella's tummy is settled for sure then try do wet maybe once a day for them. Just to be on the safe side. I know more about dogs and nutrition then I do about cats. I might go with merrick, natural balance canned or old mother hubbard canned if they have it I know they have it for dogs. I cant give Stella Wellness. We tried them on the Wellness dry before and it made her sick. I was told wellness can be rich for some so that could be why it didnt agree with her. Thanks so much for all your help.
  • Meghan SMeghan S Rosslyn, VAMember Posts: 82
    Matilda didn\'t take to Wellness either.... I started by mixing just tiny amounts in with her regular food and she would have an upset stomach afterwards. It got to the point where she wouldn\'t eat it so I had to stop adding it in. That\'s the only food she\'s had a problem with. I got a few samples of the new formula of Felidae last week and mixed those in over the weekend. She seemed to like it and no upset tummy afterwards which is good. The website has some good info on the ingredients and the improvements look good to me. It\'s too bad that it didn\'t agree with your kitty!
    Another good food you might want to try is California Natural. Scroll to the bottom for the cat food. I\'ve heard that some cats can\'t tolerate Wellness because of the fat content of it, but there are lots of other very good foods to try, so hopefully you\'ll find something that you like and agrees with you. Tigger how are you doing, sorry if it seems we kind of took over your thread :r
  • Maggie BradshawMaggie Bradshaw Member Posts: 506
    Oh my gosh Stella! Thank you so much for finding that food! I've been searching forever for something for Phil since he has poultry allergies. He get's mostly wet food but he does get some Evo dry. It has chicken in it, but he doesn't do as bad on it as he has other foods (with turkey or duck in it for example) I used to feed him NV Instinct Rabbit kibble, but he didn't like to eat it and it still had chicken as an ingredient, though a smaller amount as it was further down the list than the rabbit protien. I've heard of Go! but only one pet store in manhattan carries it and its hard to get to! I've only seen the Grain free Now! and never notice the Go! came in grain free! I am THRILLED! I was able to leave work early and went to the petstore and bought a bad. I love the all trout ingredients, which is one of the better/low mercury fish to have! (I have a card I got from this store about the different mercury levels in fish I will scan for you guys! I think it's pretty helpful. It's not just Tuna!) Anyway, I bought a bag and can't wait to feed it to Phil and Squeekie and see if they like it. Phil loves Fish, and squeekie can be skeptical, but I hope all goes over well. I'll let you know how he does! I hope it helps his stinky poo!
  • tigger cattigger cat Member Posts: 23
    Oh its ok Bandit. Just reading all the different things. Besides a few throw ups, I'm ok! LOL. Getting ready for a different brand after all this researching. Tried Natural Balance last night and the 5 cats were not too fond of it. After reading I found one better with better ingredients & better reviews. 9 out of 10 points on this one site below. It is very informative and gets to the nitty gritty on what some ingredients try to be passed off as. Like natural chicken flavors & so on. I was surprised. I'm going to try a small bag of Natures Variety. It has great ingredients, no corn,soy, or wheat. Link is below. http://hubpages.com/hub/Dog_Food_Review
    Thats great Phil! I hope it works for you. Stella is happy with it. Seems to love the taste to! And Tigger ya I didnt mean to hijack your thread. :r I have heard good things about Natures Variety to. Hope all works for you to and that you feel better soon and fine something yummy as well.
    edited 19 September, 2008
    Just remember Catster's that too much fish is not good for your kittys Urinary tract.;)
  • Maggie BradshawMaggie Bradshaw Member Posts: 506
    Oh Tigger! Nature's variety if very good. Phil and Squeekie gets the canned lamb formula and love love love it. There is a thread about the dry food here that has some info on checking the used by date for a batch that might not have been so good. http://itchmoforums.com/your-problems-with-pet-food/natures-variety-grain-fee-kibble-troublefeline-t4387.0.html The thread starts out talking baout the non grain free (Prarie) brand, but int he last few pages theres some info on the grain free. The talk about the kibble being very dark, but when I bought it for phil it was very dark but didnt seem to have anything wrong with it. it actually helped his diarrea a alot, he would jsut rather eat my roomate cats fancy feast instead of his own food, though he would eat it when he had to (if he was closed up in my room at night). and if you can find a good price on the cans its great and totally worth it. its very meaty and our cats seems to love it! I also have some raw rabbit medallions in the firsde im waiting for the right time to try.
    Decided on Wellness indoor & OMG! They tore it up! Put just a bit on their plate & they ate every piece up. So far they love it!
  • Mysty BeatlesFreakMysty BeatlesFreak PhoenixMember Posts: 15
    edited 25 September, 2008
    Science diet is Premium Premium food, the best u can get without a prescription. My cats have eaten it for 11+ years and they are fine. DO you give them any kind of treats? Also, what kind do u give them, hairball control or elderly cats or what?
    Mysty, some cats & dogs will do ok on a formula that gives others problems. Not all react the same. But, looking at whats in Science Diet, and seeing that it has ingredients that are KNOWN to cause allergic reactions and many rashes & skin problems, ear infections & so on, made us change food. Especially since we had no problems UNTIL they got on Science Diet. One of our cats was getting sores on his lip, & after 1 1/2 weeks on Wellness, its just about gone now. They have only thrown up their food 2 times in 1 1/2 weeks and before they did it 2-3 times A DAY!Ingredients that I'm sure plenty of others on here will agree that are not the best for our cats that are in Science diet are corn gluten meal, corn meal. And they are listed as the 3rd & 5th ingredient which tells me there is a good amount of them in it. Thats what made us switch after seeing whats in it & seeing what it did to our cats. And we do not give them treats. I'm glad your cat does not have any problems after 11 years on it, thats great. I cant say enough about the change to Wellness. Hope your cat never goes thru what our 5 went thru. Take care.
  • Chrysee HinshawChrysee Hinshaw Member Posts: 474
    Why do people insist Science Diet is an excellent food?? Do they just not -read-? I don't think it's a terrible food as far as commercial brands go.. but people act like it's a super high quality food that's so much better than other brands but it's really quite similar to most grocery store brands. It's nothing special.
    Atrus its because most people do not educate themsleves on feline nutrition, they have no idea what they are giving their pets. If they would look at the ingredients, they would see that its the same as meow mix or cat chow. Here is 2 links that people can read: http://iml.jou.ufl.edu/projects/Spring04/Perhach/PetFood/Vets.htm http://www.api4animals.org/facts.php?p=359&more=1
    The first link will not let me copy and paste the site properly, you will have to manually type it in (there is no space in the word vet) It is well worth the read the other site is very informative aswell.
    edited 26 September, 2008
    It is basically the same ingredients list as Cat Chow. I know a lot of vets recommend Science Diet, but come on. When a doctor recommends something to me, I don't just blindly agree with them without doing my own research, and it's the same with vets. People also seem to think Royal Canin is awesome too, but when I looked into it it turned out to be basically the same thing as Purina ONE, which isn't the -worst- thing you can feed but it certainly doesn't deserve the reputation it seems to have.
    Because vets recommend science diet. Thats why people think it is a good food. You CAN see their point though. If your vet says something is good why doubt them they should be highly educated on anything animal. But they are only educated by the Hills nutritionalists so of course people working for hills are not going to say their food is bad they are going to educate vets on why they believe corn gluten and all that other crap is good. So most people do as their vets say because its easier and why do research when vets already should have. I have seen cats and dogs on science diet all their life. They do alright I mean they survive. Coats are dull, stool is huge and stinky. Eyes runny, skin problems, ear problems. Ya it clears up while on science diet after spending a ton on medication to make it clear up. Then the medication is out wait a month at most and problems arise again. Vomitting is another big one. Vet will say take their food away for a day. Weird when they arent eating science diet no vomit. As soon as science diet comes into the picture vomit. Ive seen people switch to something else to see a "lesser quality" being purina which is not the greatest but better then science diet and wow instant miracle because there is no vomit anymore. In the long run you save money on better quality food like wellness or any grain free. You feed less AND less chronic type vet bills. I work at a clinic so I have seen all these situations and then some.
    I suppose it's just a difference in philosophy, but I really don't get why a person would just blindly accept what a vet or a doctor says. Not that I mean to suggest they have ulterior motives or anything, but that I am ultimately the only one responsible for my own health and the only one that will suffer as a result of any decisions made about it, so why would I not make an effort to educate myself? Obviously a doctor will still be better educated about medicine, but health care and pet care are a -business-. I do follow my vet's or my doctor's advice in the vast majority of cases, but I also know WHY I'm choosing to do it and I also understand very well wtf they're talking about.
    We looked it up on some website that Purina sends us and thats what they said. So i'm sorry if i miss told some people. :)
  • Karina GressKarina Gress Member Posts: 402
    What's more important--a high meat content, vet recommended food that your cat hates, won't eat or makes him sick, or something from the grocery store that he eats like crazy and keeps down? Over the 12 years I've had my Henry, I've had many food recommendations from vets. The last vet recommended food gave him horrible gas, constipation, and super stinky poopies, and was so expensive I couldn't believe it. He also has a problem with vomiting up dry food often. After experimenting with dozens of different foods, he's found a new food to love, plain old grocery store "goodlife indoor cat formula". He gobbles it up, doesn't make him sick, and he's lost some weight. Everyone says these store brand foods are horrible, but what if your cats won't eat the "better quality" ones and they cost a fortune? My cats are in good health and happy, so why shouldn't I feed them a food that they like? If someone can recommend a food that has less fillers (corn meal, by-products, etc), doesn't cost a fortune, easy to find, and my boys love the taste of and doesn't upset their system, I'm all ears. BTW, I am a scientist that works at a college so I know nutrition and chemicals. Just because I don't feed my cats a raw food diet or grain free food, doesn't mean I don't know the value of it.
    Thats good that they like it, I always say tha if it keeps ur cat happy, you will be too.
  • Lisa DausmanLisa Dausman Member Posts: 5,216
    edited 27 September, 2008
    I too, fed vet recommended Hills Science Diet, which I have noticed, alot of vets sell. But I also had the same issues, throw up every few days, some the whole food, right after they eat it, some liquid in an hr or so. And they really didn\'t like it that well. And because Prowler has crystal issues, which he got again anyhow, even on the Hills, I was on a mission to learn all I could about why this was happening. As alot of other posters have said, there are too many grains in Hills, and most cat foods. Grain is for horses, not cats. Grains also means carbs. And part of what I have learned, is in reading the ingredients, they start to go \"south\" after the 4th or so. If ya don\'t know what they are, or what they mean, you shouldn\'t be feeding it. I now feed Blue Wilderness. No more throw up, no more hairballs, and they like it. http://www.bluebuff.com/products/cats/index.shtml It is high protein, which is what you want for UTI\'s, and very low salt, another thing you want for UTI\'s. It is also low carbs. I know some don\'t advocate just feeding dry, as they don\'t get enough water intake, which is critical to UTI\'s, and I do agree, but I refuse to feed wet, after what happened. To increase their water intake, I add a little water to their dry food, which it says you can on the bag, and I also give baby food, Beechnut, chicken or turkey ONLY, about 1 teaspoon, and mix with lukewarm water, so it is the consistancy of soup, kinda like broth. You do not want to ever give chicken broth, as it is too high in salt. I do have one issue, and maybe some on here can help me with it. My vet insists Prowler stay on Hills CD. I know it manages the crystals, but don\'t\' know why, what is in there, that does this. He is the only one still throwing up. Bumpurr & Smokey are on the Blue Wilderness, no throw up. The last straw per say, is waking up to liquid throw up, all over the place this morn, and stepping in it. I know it was the Hills, it was light, the Blue Wilderness is dark. So food wise, what are you looking for, in a food, that will help prevent the crystals? I know I am on the right track, for the other 2, and very close to solving the last piece of the puzzle, regarding the crystals. After this morn, I am done with Hills!!! Even with the CD, and am going to feed Prowler too the BW. He likes it, has stolen a few crunchies out of Bumpurr\'s dish, before I can stop him. I put up a link for the BW, what do ya think, ingredients wise, regarding the crystals? If not them, then what am I looking for? :):-h:);c;=;~a~:^::)
    Here is some information about crystals for you. Mainly though Id feed your cat a high quality wet food. They need more water (moisture then they are getting) Im not sure if blue offers a wet food or not. Anyways here it goes: FLUTD is a problem that generally affects male cats, and was more commonly known as FU S.Any time a cat misses the litter box and begins to urinate in other places around the house, a bladder infection should be suspected and the urine should be examined. Often times cats with FLUTD will be straining in the litter box, or in some cases, not using the it at all, preferring the bathtub or other cool surfaces. Bladder infections provide a perfect environment in the cat's bladder for magnesium ammonium phosphate ions in solution to begin to form crystals. These microscopic crystals attach to each other or bacterial life and begin to precipitate into larger masses. If the crystals stay small enough, they will pass out in the urine. If they continue to grow they will form bladder stones or even the more rare occurrence of kidney stones. Bladderstones irritate the lining of the bladder and provide an excellent breeding ground for bacteria. In female cats, the urethra leading from the bladder to the outside world is relatively distensible, shorter, and of larger diameter than the urethra of the male cat. Therefore female cats rarely become obstructed. Male cats, neutered or unneutered, have a relatively long and quite narrow urethral diameter; the male cat is highly prone to struvite (magnesium ammonium phosphate) material congesting and obstructing the distal end of the urethra. Feeding a low magnesium diets with high meat inclusion ( to ensure and acidic urine) is the best way to prevent these crystals. The low magnesium diets prevent concentrations of the magnesium ion in the urinary tract from reaching levels that predispose to magnesium ammonium phosphate crystal formation. However many factors play a role in struvite formation, such as activity level, water consumption and genetics.
    Henry you look exactly like me :) What is important is that you know the food that you get from the vet is not high meat protein, its exactly the opposite, it is full of carbs and things that cats just dont need, what they do need as carnivores is a high protein diet. Cats cannot digest vegetables or grain, and raises the ph in their urine, and all sorts of things that would take a while to explain on here. There are alot of useful links I can give to you for some info on that. Meanwhile there are some foods out there that are affordable, and are a better quality than the "grocery store brand" Here is a list of some of them Wellness Natures Variety Innova California Natural (for sensitive stomachs) Natural Balance ( for senstive stomachs) Taste of the wild ( some kitties really like this one in this catster group) Orijen. Of course that being said, wet of these varieties is the best, as this is closer to what a cat would eat in the wild, more moisture and higher meat content and more nutrition, as it is cooked differently than dry food. Cats can live to they are 30 happy and healthy and not overweight on a feline appropriate diet.
    Bumpurr, if prowler has crystals he needs to be on wet food period. Shadow had crystals really bad and was cured after she was taken off the dry food and put on Wellness grain free wet food, and some other wet foods, and has been on this diet for well over a year, and is all better. I refused that crapola food that the vet prescribed, as I knew that after researching about it, that this was not going to help Shadow in the long run, sure it may have disolved the crystals at first, but I didnt need to do it that way with all that salt in the food just to make me drink more water, no way!! then Shadow would have probably gained more weight too, now she has lost the needed weight she had gained too. If you keep your kittys on that prescription diet it will cause a host of other problems ( this done from all the research I have done on it) I also must warn you about adding water to dry food this quote from this web site and from a few others. "Although the cooking process kills bacteria in the ingredients, the final product can pick up more bacteria during the subsequent drying, coating, and packaging process. Some experts warn that getting dry food wet can allow the bacteria on the surface to multiply and make pets sick. Do not mix dry food with water, milk, canned food, or other liquids. " That was taken from this site: http://www.api4animals.org/facts.php?p=359&more=1 If you do some reasearch on grain and pet food and how long this stuff sits in silos and warehouses and such you would be grossed out Can we see Mycotoxins and Aflatoxins?? EEEWWW!!! Hopefully this helps a little for you, if you have any questions, I can try and help.