Natural Balance Green Pea and Duck Formula a good food?

tigger cattigger cat Member Posts: 23
edited 4 October, 2008 in Food & Nutrition
We are thinking of trying this for our cats. Says it is grain free. Any of your cats on this food or ever have been?

Comments

• Lisa DausmanLisa Dausman Member Posts: 5,216
    edited 17 September, 2008
    Nope, nope, nope. Read the ingredients on the back of the bag, it starts to go south around the 4th ingredient, and peas is listed as the first ingredient. I have done extensive research on cat food, as I have a special needs cat, he is prone to crystals, not Bumpurr, and I don\'t need him getting them either. I feed Blue Wilderness, and I ran this by my vet first, and she ran this by one of her contacts at either WSU or UC Davis. I was trying to find the diff sites for you, but they are buried somewhere in my emails, check out the Blue Wilderness site, and read those ingredients. Will try to find the sites for you tomorrow. One site I know off the top of my head is www.catinfo.org, think that is it. :) :)) :):))
  • tigger cattigger cat Member Posts: 23
    edited 18 September, 2008
    Thanks for the info bumpurr. So many things to look out for. Some do well on a certain food, & others dont.
  • Beastie_and_the_BoysBeastie_and_the_Boys Marquette, MI / ChicagoMember Posts: 17,806 ✭✭✭
    As far as I know, that formula ha been developed for kitties with allergies, and I've heard a lot of kitties doing well on the Green Pea and Duck when they've been diagnosed with allergies to ingredients in other commercial brands. Are you looking for a hypoallergenic food, Tigger?
    No I'm not looking for a hypoallergenic food, but I want a very good food for them. What about Blue Buffalo? Good stuff? Been reading labels & I'm new to this so trying to get all the help I can. Thanks everyone for your input. So Blue Buffalo any good?
  • Gimli_TGMGimli_TGM HurstMember Posts: 29,929 ✭✭
    Hi Tigger! We ate Blue Buffalo for about two years or so. We really liked it. It is very good food. But some of us liked the LifeSource bits and some of us didn't. Oh, we did try one bag of the Blue Wilderness when it first came out, but mom can't remember why she didn't buy anymore. We've been eating Solid Gold Katz n Flocken for about 5 months now and mom has really seen a difference! I am part Manx and I have always had very soft fur, but now I have really soft fur! And I am more svelte now. Even at my last cat show (I'm registered as a household pet), the judges were commenting that I was not fat at all, just big. Nigel, the oldest kitty, has always had coarse fur and now his fur is so soft! We don't poop as much, even compared to when we were eating Blue Buffalo.
    Hey Gimli, you look like you could be my twin! :-h I\'ll research that food as well! Thanks!
  • Maggie BradshawMaggie Bradshaw Member Posts: 506
    Phil got anal leakage from that!!! I was looking for an allergy food for phil but it turns out he's allergic to poultry in general but duck was the worst!!! Its a very rich meat, too much for his poor system.
  • Jenna LuskJenna Lusk Pacific NWMember Posts: 2,034
    Natural Balance Green Pea and Duck is definitely for cats with allergies. If you are not having any issues with food allergies, I would go with a food that has a less limited protein source. Also, I would try to find one that is grain free. You can spend a lot of money on a good food. My advice is to figure out how much you can spend each month and buy the very best grain-free food at that price point. I also personally free feed dry kibble and give moist food twice a day.
  • Jessica CobbJessica Cobb Gastonia/CharlotteMember Posts: 91
    edited 20 September, 2008
    Natural Balance Green Pea and Duck is grain free. That's the whole point. My kitty is on this food for allergy reasons. He absolutely loves it, but isn't crazy about the wet food.
    We decided on Wellness Indoor formula, since all 5 cats are indoor cats. WOW! Not one of them disliked it! They tore it up & wanted more. So slowly we are converting them over to it. Yesterday was the first day we gave it to them, just a bit and they were crazy over it. I love the ingredients in it & it was good to see all of them liking it so much. 2 of the 5 cats were not fond at all of the Natural Balance so we were very glad all of them had the same eagerness to eat it. So far so good. |/h/|
  • Lucybelle GLucybelle G Member Posts: 96
    I have been feeding NB and I don't see any problem with this food at all. I do understand that some furparents tend to be extra careful especially when it comes to finding food for their special need kitties. But if your kitty is in the pinkest of health, I don't really see why NB is bad at all. It's grain free and NB is a reputable company. Also, make sure your kitty really likes wet food because compared to other flavor, Green Pea and Duck tends to be very soft and moist. If you are looking for other good brand to try, Wellness is one that I would really recommend. My kitty has a rotation of a couple of brands and Wellness is one of her favorite.
  • Jenna LuskJenna Lusk Pacific NWMember Posts: 2,034
    I didn't mean that Natural Balance Green Pea and Duck wasn't grain-free - just that it is used mainly as a food for cats with allergies. With no allergies to worry about, I was merely suggesting that another food with more varied protein sources might be better. It is a fine food, though, as are all the Natural Balance foods.
  • Rosemarie ChociayRosemarie Chociay Southern New JerseyMember Posts: 151 ✭✭
    edited 22 September, 2008
    Not trying to butt in on another kitty's question, but I have food allergies and I am prone to UTI's any dry foods that are good for both these issues? I have been on Purina ONE Urinary tract health since I came home a year ago and have had no UTI's, but what we once thought was a flea allergy (I developed millet dermatitis) we are now thinking is a food allergy because Mom banished the fleas from the house four months ago and I still am having skin issues. We also need a brand that is sold in the big 16 lb bags as I live with two other kitties and money is really tight for mommy and daddy, so we can't afford to spen $30 on a 5 lb bag of food that will only last a week or two. Thank you, everykitty, and I am sorry that I butted in on Tigger's question, but I had a similar question and saw that a lot of knowledgeable kitties answered. *head bonks* Rikki
  • Lucybelle GLucybelle G Member Posts: 96
    edited 22 September, 2008
    Hi Rikki, Unfortunately, all dry food are detrimental to your kitty if he is prone to UTI attacks. You have to understand that dry food deplete your boy of essential moisture and because of this the urine PH tends to be on the higher side, causing extremely concentrated urine. Most cats dealing with UTI does best when fed and exclusive wet diet. Cats are designed to obtain most of their water with their diet since their normal prey contains approximately 70 - 75 percent water. Dry foods only contain 10 percent water whereas canned foods contain approximately 78 percent water. Canned foods therefore more closely approximate the natural diet of the cat and are better suited to meet the cat’s water needs. The high heat used in processing dry food damages (denatures) the proteins in the food. The resulting unnatural proteins may trigger an immune response that can lead to food allergies and many other dieseases. Here are some important links that which give you more information on why a cat dealing with UTI should be fed an exclusive wet diet. http://www.catinfo.org/zorans_article.pdf http://www.catinfo.org/ http://www.catnutrition.org/catkins.php http://www.littlebigcat.com/?action=library&act=show&item=whycatsneedcannedfood
  • Nicole JonesNicole Jones Fort CollinsMember Posts: 128
    edited 24 September, 2008
    Dry food is not ideal, no matter how great the ingredients. I feed my cats Natural Balance Ultra. It fits within our budget and the ingredients aren't that bad. I fed one of my cats the Green Pea and Duck formula for a short while but prefer the ingredients in the Ultra formula. Natural Balance is better than many cat foods you can find at chain pet stores and is far better than any grocery store brand. Natural Balance is a high calorie dry food (553 calories in a cup) compared to nearly all other dry cat foods so I make sure to feed a little less. I have done some research and the following dry foods seem to frequently come out at top: Wellness CORE, Innova EVO, and Taste of the Wild. I think the Wellness was a great choice. The best dry food is the one that fits within your budget (but remember, food is not a place to skimp!). If you aren't feeding any wet food, I would try to spend a little less on dry food and try to incorporate more wet food into their diet. Wellness is good but there are equally good foods for a little less money, and that's money you could spend on wet food. (Though with 5 kitties, I realize how tough that is). Sometimes with a dry food, cats aren't going to take to it right away because it's not what they are used to. Gradual switches with dry food are best.
    edited 25 September, 2008
    I wanted to thank everykitty, especially Tigger for letting me as my question in his post. All the information that everykitty gave was SO helpful. Momma and Daddy have decided to try Natural Balance with us as it is in their price range (money is *really* tight for momma and daddy right now as momma isn't working and daddy's pay was just cut and that has really caused a hullaballoo. If momma and daddy had the extra money to spare, they would love to get us wet food or even a *really* high quality dry food, but things are the way they are and we have heard many good things on here about Natural Balance. Momma also plans on saving up for a couple of water fountains (she found a couple of good brands on amazon.com that were less expensive than the Drinkwell) and placing them around the house because my new obsession is running water, especially from the tub! Momma thinks it is funny because I used to be *petrified* of running water! Thank you all again, you have all been such a great help! *head bonks* Rikki
  • Nicole JonesNicole Jones Fort CollinsMember Posts: 128
    edited 28 September, 2008
    Rikki - We feed NB because of budget issues too. The largest bag of NB Ultra is about $28 here. If we fed dry only, the NB costs $30 a month for 2 cats (who would eat 1/2 cup a day each). Since we feed half dry and half wet, the NB is $15 a month and the wet food is about $24 if we buy 6oz cans that are under $0.80 each. (We split the 6oz can between the 2 cats at night and then they eat 1/4 cup each of NB in the morning). You don't have to be as picky about ingredients in wet food because any wet food is better than no wet food at all. We also considered Chicken Soup and Diamond Naturals. Of those 3, Diamond Naturals is the least expensive. Water fountains are great, especially when you aren't feeding any wet food.
  • Haley SalitrosHaley Salitros Member Posts: 107
    edited 30 September, 2008
    I have just now been trying green pea and duck since anything with fish has been giving Sneakers problems. They are right, this is "limited ingredients" since this is an allergy food. I had been trying Before Grain chicken, and it began to take a toll after awhile on Bubbles. (Plus, it still had fish oil, which I was not crazy about.) The foods with higher protein tend to do that to her after awhile. We tried California Natural chicken and rice and he did NOT like it. However, they are responding very well to the first 24 hours of switching. When I look at a cat food, I make sure there's no grain, gluten, or by products. I also check the fiber levels. After browsing the "good" aisle of PetSmart last night, this food impressed me the most. (All the Wellness I looked at had fish.) I'm going to try the small bag I purchased and I'll give another report! If you are looking for another duck food, it looks like Eagle Pack Holistic has a Duck/Oatmeal that has more ingredients. They're within the same price range.
    edited 1 October, 2008
    Momma and daddy just bought us the NB Green Pea and Duck and we were SO EXCITED about it that we almost tore the bag open. When Momma put some in our bowls, we dove right in and loved it! We didn't eat as much of it as we used to with Purina ONE UTH, we got filled up a lot sooner. We are very happy kitties with this new food. Momma is still saving up her pennies for a water fountain for us, for now, she lets me drink from the tub faucet before she gets her shower and there are always plenty of water bowls around the house for everyone. Thank you, everykitty, for all of your advice! I will let you know how we do with our new food, so far we think it is DEEEEEE-LISH! *head bonks* Rikki
  • Haley SalitrosHaley Salitros Member Posts: 107
    edited 4 October, 2008
    Here's my update: LOVES IT. I picked up a small bag of this on Monday, and worked it into their diet, along with a 1/4 tsp. of In Clover Fresh Digest a day. Today is Saturday and Sneakers does NOT have pudding poop!!!!! For the first time in MONTHS!!!! Both Sneakers and Bubbles love the green pea and duck and get SO excited at feeding time. Their coats look good and Sneakers has more pep!!!~a~~a~~a~~a~
  • Jennifer SzucsJennifer Szucs ChathamMember Posts: 3,765
    edited 4 October, 2008
    We get a variety of NB canned food. But my favorite is the Duck and Green Pea!