Kitten eats only chicken, no kitty food!

suzy wosuzy wo Member Posts: 3
edited 28 September, 2008 in Food & Nutrition
E.V. is my first kitty, ever. She is from a neighbor\'s litter, and they said she was 8 weeks and weaned on Sept 7. Vet said on Sept 10 that she was no more than 6 weeks at that time, said she was a little thin, and gave me 2 cans of Science Diet Kitten Chicken flavor and a couple syringes (I don\'t like the idea of force-feeding). She won\'t eat Science Diet canned, Whiskas (3 different flavors), Kitten Chow dry, Iams canned -- I have tried feeding her from my fingers/hand and she won\'t touch it, so I boiled some plain boneless chicken breast, and E.V. loves it! She also loves whiskas kitty milk, and won\'t eat even chicken if the milk is out. I try mixing the milk with kitty food, she will only drink the milk. I try mixing chicken with kitty food, she picks the chicken out. I know this isn\'t enough nutrition for her. She is wild at night, runs like a rocket and attacks her toys ninja-style, but I think she needs to eat better. What do I do with this picky kitty???

Comments

• Kara DickmanKara Dickman Middle of No WhereMember Posts: 2,283 ✭✭
    edited 18 September, 2008
    There is nothing wrong with going to a raw diet. That's what I eat and it is better for you. It is 80% muscle meat (heart my favorite is a muscle), 10 % organ (5% of which must be liver) and 10% bone (eggshells count). The percentages are more of a whole picture rather then just everyday. It will not hurt you one bit. There are LOTS of people on this board that feed raw. Plus,there are several good sites with information if you are interested.
  • Tina BTina B Vancouver IslandMember Posts: 2,238
    First thing throw out that Science Diet :)) Yuck! bad ingredients. You could try some Wellness canned,Evo, Natures Variety, these are good foods. Let me direct you to this site that will educate you a bit on cats and nutrition. just type in catinfo.org it is a very helpful site. Another good one is catnutrition.org
  • suzy wosuzy wo Member Posts: 3
    Thank you for the info!
  • Lucybelle GLucybelle G Member Posts: 96
    edited 20 September, 2008
    Hiya, Since your kitty loves chicken, you can try feeding Sheeba and Weruwa. They both have commercial wet food with chicken in chunks/slices so your kitty might enjoy it.
  • Nicole MartinNicole Martin CranfordMember Posts: 185
    edited 21 September, 2008
    It is very possible that your neighbors did not wean her properly. Try getting KMR instead of the Whiska's milk. It is cat milk replacer and has all the nutrients they need to grow, whereas the Whiska's stuff is supposed to be a treat. Once your cat is eating KMR you can either slowly switch to the second step KMR or very very slowly mix in canned kitten food. I also agree that raw feeding wouldn't be a bad way to go if that is all that your cat will eat. It just takes time for them to realize they can eat solid food.
  • Chanda DeFoorChanda DeFoor Mount AiryMember Posts: 373
    edited 28 September, 2008
    I agree with a previous poster--you could certainly try going raw. Many folks complain that their cats won't convert to eating fresh meat, so you're already ahead of them! If you want to cook it, then you can research home cooked meals for your cat. There are forums for both raw and home cooked meals on here. Good luck! Done right, either one of these diets could provide the best possible nutrition for your new kitty. Just make sure to do your research!