diarrhea

Marka B'JaiMarka B'Jai Member Posts: 7
edited 30 September, 2008 in Food & Nutrition
Hi everyone I\'m new here an need a little advice. I switched my cat from his old cat food to EVO. I used a half and half mix but it still gave him diarrhea. I took the kibble away last night and gave him a little cooked chicken and the same today. The diarrhea has stopped but I need suggestions on how to re-introduce the EVO. Should I add a few kibbles to the chicken? Thanks

Comments

• Tara WTara W St. PaulMember Posts: 939
    edited 19 September, 2008
    You added too much too fast. Try giving only 10% Evo blended in with the 90% of old food for a few days, then increase to 20% and 80%, then 30%/70%, etc. etc. This sounds like a big change for your kitty's digestive system and you'll need to take it slow. Keep an eye on the litter box and if the poo gets runny, go back a step until it's tolerated. The good news is that he's not turning his nose up at it completely. Just slow down and let your kitty guide you.
  • Marka B'JaiMarka B'Jai Member Posts: 7
    Thank you, I will take your advice and scale back on the EVO, his old food is Iams and it didn't seem to be that good for him.
  • edited 19 September, 2008
    Ewwww! I agree that Iam\'s is not the greatest. You are on the right track to switch. Like Khina says though, take it slow and easy. Also, plain cooked chicken is okay for an occasional \"re-balance\", but not for too long of a stretch. Cooking actually destroys a lot of the good nutrients in the meat, so too much of it over a long time can actually be bad. That\'s why lots of folks that fix \"homecooked\" meals for their furkids add lots of other stuff to make up for the nutrients lost in cooking. A slow and easy switch to the new Evo should do the trick for ya.
    I'm sure you're right about the cooked chicken, I've been told that raw chicken would have been better but Tuch is not crazy about raw meat. I thought I would try the cooked because it was kind of bland and would give his stomach a chance to settle down. I didn't cook the chicken all the way just a little so that the smell would entice him to eat it, it was still pretty red inside when I fed it to him. Thank you both for the helpful info, I'm going out in the morning to buy another small bag of Iam's to start the EVO introduction again. I actuall mixed the old bag in with the EVO, that was a mistake. So there will be a lot of cat food around here for a while.
  • Tara WTara W St. PaulMember Posts: 939
    edited 20 September, 2008
    It's true. Raw meat just isn't nearly as stinky as kibble is. Are you considering switching to a raw diet or was that only to feed something while the kibble was causing problems?
    edited 20 September, 2008
    I was just using the chicken until his stomach settled down. I tried the raw food before but it didn't go over to well with him. He would only eat it if I hand fed him.
  • Lucybelle GLucybelle G Member Posts: 96
    edited 21 September, 2008
    While EVO is premium and top of the line, they have been numerous reports of cats not taking to it too well. Diarrhea, smelly stool and flatulence is the number one concern. This is due to the % of protein present in EVO, being one of the highest in the market and some cats just can't seems to tolerate this high amount. If your cat still suffer from the same problem after reintroducing EVO, it is best not to force it. You may want to try Wellness Core instead and again introduce it gradually. Core is just as superior as EVO but has less undesirable effect on cats and more cats seems to agree to it.
  • Janet PlymireJanet Plymire IllinoisMember Posts: 344
    edited 21 September, 2008
    An alternative to raw and better than dry would be to feed a quality canned food, like Wellness grain free or EVO canned. There are other brands too that are good like Nature's Variety and California Natural. Canned food is so much better than any kibble diet because it has more protein and lots more moisture that cats need in their food. If you still want to feed kibble limit it to just a small portion each day, but use the canned for the main diet.
    edited 22 September, 2008
    Thanks everyone, I will try all of the different suggestions because he is still having some problems with the EVO. I will give it another couple of days and then I may have to switch if things aren\'t better. I know he is getting tired of me washing his butt everyday. :))
  • Maggie BradshawMaggie Bradshaw Member Posts: 506
    edited 22 September, 2008
    ohhh a white pesisn with diarea must be tough. I Agee though, phil on Evo now and has been for a while. His diarea is better it makes his poops stink to high heaven because it is 50 percent protien. Maybe a lower protien kibble would be better? Or what I do is a big wet breakfast an then about 1 cup of kibble for the rest of the day for the two of them. Seems to be helping! Good luck!
  • Nicole JonesNicole Jones Fort CollinsMember Posts: 128
    edited 28 September, 2008
    While you are switching, you can feed a little bit of canned pumpkin to help with the diarrhea. Make sure it's plain canned pumpkin, not pumpkin pie filling.
    edited 30 September, 2008
    Hi everyone I just wanted to update, I re-introduced the EVO and so far everything is going well, there\'s been no diarrhea for about a week now so I think we are out of the woods now. At least I sure hope so. He eats it but I don\'t think he\'s crazy about it, he doesn\'t eat it with the same zest as he did with the Iams. Oh well, he will just have to get used to it because we have a very big bag of it.:))