Switching....

Brittany ReedBrittany Reed Des Moines, IAMember Posts: 133
edited 21 September, 2008 in Food & Nutrition
So our normal diet we eat 1/4 cup of katz n flocken at 10 am and 5pm, then get an ounce and a half of wellness canned food at 10pm. well Athena recently had an other urine problem. this is the 6th or 7th time of this happening in her 5 years. so we are switching to all canned food (wellness). Obviously the large cans are the better value. so I was wondering how much to feed out of the large cans. so far i've been using up our 3 oz cans. so between 2 cats... an ounce and a half each... so 4 and a half ounces a day. does that sound right? How should i measure this? thoughts on feeding all wet? thanks!

Comments

• Tina BTina B Vancouver IslandMember Posts: 2,238
    edited 21 September, 2008
    I see you weigh 10 lbs, my cats are 14lbs and they share one can of Wellness a day (12.5 oz) and it is enough calories for them. One can should be enough for your 2 cats.
  • Lucybelle GLucybelle G Member Posts: 96
    edited 21 September, 2008
    Hello! Wellness has two larger cans after the 30z - 5.5oz and 12.5oz so which one exactly are you feeding? If you are feeding the largest one, then it will be adequate for your 2 cats. If you are feeding 5.5oz, then you might need to feed about 2 cans a day. However, what you need to know is that food requirement is different for all cats. Generally speaking, a cat weighing in at 6-8lbs would need about 6oz of food a day. Since you are feeding Wellness, which is a great brand, satiety comes easily and you may need to actually feed less. This is because when you are feeding premium, food absorbency is at its maximum and that is why I always believe that it is not more expensive to feed premium in the long run. When you start feeding exclusive wet, note their weight, activity level and how fast do they get hungry. If they appear to beg for food after each feeding, you may upped their intake. Weigh them again at the end of the month and judge if the feeding amount is adequate. Then, plan any adjustments from there. And my thought on wet food is that it should be the ONLY food to feed. Wet food is species appropriate, has a higher content of moisture and is a very good choice especially for your kitty who is prone to UTI attacks. If you are switching completely to a wet food diet, you can almost immediately eliminate the dry. Only those fed an exclusive dry with no wet should do a gradual transition. Sometimes, when switching to all wet using scheduled and portion control feeding method cat owners feel bad when they see their cats begging for more food. Resist the temptation to give in. Cats can very well go a few long hours without eating. Stick to your routine. But never starve a cat into eating. The decision to switch to wet food is the correct one and I am glad that you have taken a step forward in ensuring your cat gets all the proper nutrition and species appropriate food.