What do you think of California Natural?

Sharon BraatenSharon Braaten Great BarringtonMember Posts: 842
edited 27 September, 2008 in Food & Nutrition
We were eating all Wellness, and things were going great. Recently we seem to be bored with it and would stick our noses up at a lot of different flavors we used to love. Last time Mom went shopping, she picked up some new varieties and we just love the California Natural. It is not all grain free like the Wellness, but it seems pretty high quality. Does anyone else eat this? Venison & Rice Ingredients: Venison, Fish Broth, Herring, Ground Brown Rice, Egg, Flaxseed, Sunflower Oil, Guar Gum, Taurine, Vitamins/Minerals Chicken & Rice Ingredients: Chicken, Chicken Broth, Herring, Brown Rice, Egg, Sunflower Oil, Flaxseed, Guar Gum, Dicalcium Phosphate, Potassium Chloride, Choline Chloride, Taurine, DL-Methionine, Vit E Supplement, Vitamins/Minerals, Sodium Ascorbate, Vit B12 Deepwater fish Ingredients: Whitefish, Salmon, Mackerel, Fish Broth, Herring, Brown Rice, Egg, Sunflower Oil, Flaxseed, Guar Gum, Dicalcium Phosphate, Potassium Chloride, Choline Chloride, Taurine, DL-Methionine, Vit E Supplement, Vitamins/Minerals, Sodium Ascorbate, Vit B12

Comments

• Tina BTina B Vancouver IslandMember Posts: 2,238
    edited 24 September, 2008
    Hi Leaf there is a thread on this just down from this one and some kittys have given their opinion there, just scroll down a bit, Sneakers started it. :)
    Have you tried the Evo, or the Innova in the red can?? You may rotate that in too, I use both Wellness and Evo, I have also a few times given the California natural and Innova( but not the pink can)
  • Lucybelle GLucybelle G Member Posts: 96
    Chicken and Rice is a hit with my kitty although I do try to feed once in a blue moon, because Rice = Carbs and I am trying to stay awaty from it. Wilson has some good suggestions and I second that.
  • Janet PlymireJanet Plymire IllinoisMember Posts: 344
    Leaf we have been refusing Wellness more and more too. Hmmm, I wonder what\'s going on with it? :-k Anyway, we have tried California Natural Herring & Sweet Potato canned. It is grain free and we liked it somewhat, though it has a strong smell to it. Mom was thinking on getting the Chicken & Brown Rice one for us to try too. She\'s been trying to think of what to do if we start totally refusing the Wellness, because as it is now we\'re not eating it half as much as before.
  • Haley SalitrosHaley Salitros Member Posts: 107
    I tried Chicken and Brown rice dry and both my cats didn't like it---even when it was mixed with their old kibble.
  • Sharon BraatenSharon Braaten Great BarringtonMember Posts: 842
    We have gobbled up all 3 flavors of CN! We love it. We also have really loved Eagle pack chicken & lamb. Maybe we just like more variety? We eat 95% canned food, since I have had crystals and Matilda has CRF. I am also trying to lose a little weight, but I am the fussiest eater in the house. I mostly wan dry food, but Mom forces wet food on me. Maybe Wellness has changed a bit?
    edited 25 September, 2008
    I have a sneaking suspicion that it has changed too, my cats arent to thrilled either with it, but you do know that they have been bought by some different company?? Yup its true, so imnot sure how this is all going to pan out. I just hope that things dont go downhill, as I dont have much more options. My cats will still eat it, but I have to give them evo one day and then the Wellness the next to make it more variety.
    edited 25 September, 2008
    Oh I wrote that wrong, its late,they have not been bought they have merged with another company. I will have to double check which company they have merged with, but I thought I saw Elmer's :-O I need to sleep now :)
  • Sharon BraatenSharon Braaten Great BarringtonMember Posts: 842
    edited 26 September, 2008
    I hate to think that they changed the formula. We did gladly eat some turkey/salmon formula last night though. I did notice the other thread about CN. I am pretty sure they are referring to dry food. We eat mostly wet food here and only tried the cans. Thanks for all the input!
  • Lisa DausmanLisa Dausman Member Posts: 5,216
    edited 27 September, 2008
    Hey Leaf\'s mommy! :-) You want to stay away from fish products, they are detremental to crystals. You also want to stay away from rice/grains, they equal carbs, and grain is for horses, not cats. I suspect the herring would make it high in salt, another thing that is very detremental to crystals. Salt should be listed way way down in the ingredients. And another thing to look for, from guar gum on down, can you even tell me what they are?? If ya don\'t know what the ingredients are, a-v-o-i-d it. Here is a link to Blue Wilderness, high protein, low carb, low salt. May not work for Leaf, but for Bumpurr & Smokey it does. Guar Gum, Dicalcium Phosphate, Potassium Chloride, Choline Chloride, Taurine, DL-Methionine, Vit E Supplement, Vitamins/Minerals, Sodium Ascorbate, Vit B12 :-O:-O:-O=;=;:-h:):^: