Evo

Tina BTina B Vancouver IslandMember Posts: 2,238
edited 5 October, 2008 in Food & Nutrition
Hi All, just thought I'd add this about the Evo. Last night Wilson puked up a hairball and in it and around it was tons of little pieces of carrot. So I know that cats dont digest corn and vegies, this is proof. So then why do they have to put it in the ingredients??? It was so gross. I am going to email the company and see what they say. Wellness removed the Garlic from their food because of all the feedback they got about it, so maybe Evo will listen about the large amount of carrots in the canned food.:-/ Anyone else experienced this?

Comments

• Nicole JonesNicole Jones Fort CollinsMember Posts: 128
    edited 29 September, 2008
    I think that pet food companies are putting veggies in cat food to appeal to people. I don't know that it is an important thing for cats to eat. Maybe some greens for digestion but carrots? I'm interested to see what they say.
  • Lucybelle GLucybelle G Member Posts: 96
    edited 29 September, 2008
    Hey there Wilson! Umph! Hairballs .. you too? Hahah.. I agree that cats, being strict carnivores do not benefit from fruits and vegetables at all. The very ancestor of our beloved domestic companion, the African Wildcat (Felis silvestris lybica) - a dweller of Africa’s Sub-Sahara - lives in an area that does not support lush plant growths to encourage the eating of abundant vegetation. Unfortunately, pet food companies have added these so called vital ingredients in pet food to make us feel better about feeding our cats a complete and balanced meal. Besides adding unnecessary fruits, veggies and rice, they came up with various shapes, sizes and colorful kibbles to attract the person who will shell out the money, not the cat. An interesting read from :- http://www.felinefuture.com/nutrition/fruit+vegetables.php "The cat is classified as a true or obligate carnivore, evolved to exist off animal matter alone. The cat lives and thrives on an exclusive animal matter based diet and does not rely on nutrients from plant source – not even vitamin C! Fact is that there are no nutrients essential to the cat in plant matter, which are not already provided in her animal matter diet – enzymes and antioxidants included. Extraction of nutrients from plant matter requires bacterial fermentation of the cellulose based plant structure. The cat has a very simple digestive tract insufficient for bacterial fermentation. Food entering the cat’s stomach is broken down by acids and enzymes produced by the cat, and the nutrients are absorbed in the small intestine. Indigestible proteins from bones, skin, and hair/feathers make the bulk of the cat’s feces, which are evacuated after water has been reabsorbed by the large intestine. No need for fiber. Very simple! What a picture-perfect image of a predator, who simply absorbs other animals for her own survival. ....eating plant matter alters the body chemistry and causes urine pH to be alkaline. Naturally occurring minerals in the urine form solids when the urine’s pH is above neutral, causing urinary crystals – an epidemic disease of nutritional origin which causes the cat great pain and agony, and can lead to death. Ingested plant matter can putrefy in the cat’s digestive tract due to the cat’s inability to efficiently break down food matter of plant origin. This can cause vomiting, gas, and/or diarrhea. Plant matter in the cat’s diet can also interfere with the proper absorption of nutrients from animal source, and the overall amount of plant matter in the diet can displaced much needed animal based food. Diets containing plant matter are much less dense in nutritional and caloric value. The cat has to eat much more of those diets to meet her needs, because the plant matter acts like filler. Kittens raised on a diet with a high plant matter content do not thrive. To fuel their rapid development, Kittens eat meals sizes disproportional to their body size. A diet diluted with vegetables may not provide the nutrient density required, but exceed food volume the kitten is able to consume. "
  • Katina JacobsonKatina Jacobson SoldotnaMember Posts: 2,302
    edited 1 October, 2008
    I think sometimes the extra veggies are also filler. So they don't have to spend so much money on meat. So they can sell it for an affordable price.
  • Janet PlymireJanet Plymire IllinoisMember Posts: 344
    edited 2 October, 2008
    Well I hope you feel better now Wilson, MOL! When we were eating Eagle Pack canned food, there was big chunks of carrot and whole peas in some of the food. Mom would have to try to mash it up or remove the really hard pieces because we wouldn\'t eat them. Even though I kinda like veggies, like lettuce, cucumbers and even a piece of banana once in awhile, :-O :-$ MOL, I know cats are not supposed to eat a lot of them. I sometimes wonder if the reason for them is for the vitamins and nutrients they add. Mom would rather get those from a natural source like the veggies, than from some artificial source where who knows where it came from, but I\'m not sure that\'s even the reason they put them in our food :?
  • Nicole MartinNicole Martin CranfordMember Posts: 185
    edited 5 October, 2008
    The fruits and veggies are added because of the nutrients they provide. It is impossible to make a dry food that has all of the nutrients that live prey would have without the addition of fruits and vegetables. I have yet to find a food that doesn't contain them. Even Angel's raw food does but they only make up 5% of the actual food. You have to remember that a hairball can cause a blockage in the digestive track. If the carrots couldn't get through then they would become stuck in the hair rather than just passing through as they are supposed to.
  • Tina BTina B Vancouver IslandMember Posts: 2,238
    edited 5 October, 2008
    The food was canned food not dry, and that is the response I got from Evo when I emailed them, that they used it for its nutritional value, but if you read Lucy Belles post in this thread, it really isnt needed. I have seen some food without carrot,being it rare. It was the amount of carrot that I was concerned about, there is just way too much in some of the batches, its just being used as a filler. I have also seen it in his poop too, so why wouldnt he be digesting this??