Dear Catster reader,

Almost two years ago, we invested numerous resources and rebuilt the Catster community. With new hardware, software and personnel, we did our best to satisfy the many users who shared their thoughts, pictures, questions, and love for and of their pets with us and friends. It was a thriving community with many users. We hoped, however, there would be more like you.

Times and habits have changed and we are sad to announce that the Catster community will be closing down on July 20, 2019.

Catster magazine, www.catster.com and the associated social media sites are NOT shutting down. We encourage you to continue reading the content found in the pages of the magazine and the web sites, commenting through the mechanisms provided and sharing your ideas and comments with us and your fellow readers.

Instructions for accessing pet profiles were shared with everyone in 2017. The instructions can be found elsewhere within the forum. AFTER JULY 20TH, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ACCESS THIS CONTENT. And, effective immediately, we are no longer able to answer questions about the community.

Thank you for your support and we look forward to serving you through our magazine and website.

Cheers,
Catster

How much to feed??

Mandy AbbottMandy Abbott Member Posts: 96
edited 10 November, 2008 in Food & Nutrition
Hi, I have a 6 month old kitten and I'm not sure how much I should be feeding him. I'm afraid he's getting a little pudgy already but I could just be paranoid because his breed is prone to obesity. He was 5lbs about a month ago and I'm not sure of his actually weight right now. I feed him a fourth of a 5.5 oz can of Friskies twice a day along with a handfull of Iams dry food mixed in. I don't let him free feed or he would eat constantly. He acts like he's hungry, he even tries to steal the dogs dry food during their feeding time. The last 3 pics on his caster page were taken this week. Any suggestions?

Comments

• Nicole ZiembaNicole Ziemba Member Posts: 295
    edited 7 November, 2008
    I am not sure how much a kitten should eat...been a loooong time. BUT, OMgoodness, gorgeous cat!! I would say with those markings he has some Bengel in him. Google images, you will see.
  • Mandy AbbottMandy Abbott Member Posts: 96
    edited 7 November, 2008
    :) Thank you. He's actually an American Shorthair sliver classic tabby. Chloe is beautiful too by the way.
  • Christie BurdellChristie Burdell AlabamaMember Posts: 5
    edited 7 November, 2008
    I have the same problem - how much? Mine is a 6 year old spayed female - gets 1/2 can of Purina at night and 1/4 cup of Iams dry in the mornings, yet she weighs over 14 pounds and her doc says she needs to lose weight to avoid diabetes, etc. I think she could stay fat on air at this point! Beautiful cats, both of you! :^:
  • Chrysee HinshawChrysee Hinshaw Member Posts: 474
    edited 7 November, 2008
    Do not mix dry and canned food together, or allow dry food to become wet, it will cause bacteria to grow on it
  • Tina BTina B Vancouver IslandMember Posts: 2,238
    edited 8 November, 2008
    Mogley you are a beutiful kitty, if you are only 5 months old you are still probably eating alot, which is ok for a growing kitty, but once you hit a year or just before you will have to start counting calories. If you do get fat you will never loose weight on any kind of dry food. There is a formula you can use later on when your a bit older, weight of cat X 13.6 + 70 = the amount of calories you should have in a day. Also about the dry food being mixed with the wet, big no no. 'Although the cooking process kills bacteria in the ingredients, the final product can pick up more bacteria during the subsequent drying, coating, and packaging process. Some experts warn that getting dry food wet can allow the bacteria on the surface to multiply and make pets sick. Do not mix dry food with water, milk, canned food, or other liquids." This is taken from this site. http://www.api4animals.org/facts.php?p=359&more=1 Have you ever thought about trying some food like Wellness, or Evo?? They are good foods, hate to say it but Iams is full of carbs and corn and basically things cats (carnivores) really dont need or can metabolize.
  • Mandy AbbottMandy Abbott Member Posts: 96
    edited 10 November, 2008
    Oh no, I had no idea it wasn't good to mix wet and dry. I will stop doing that right away, thank you for letting me know that. I will get him an extra dish and keep one just for wet and one just for dry. Also thank you for the different brand of food recommendations I will look into that too. We feed our dogs Iams too so I didn't think much of getting it for him too. Thank you for the suggestions and compliments :)