Dear Catster reader,

Almost two years ago, we invested numerous resources and rebuilt the Catster community. With new hardware, software and personnel, we did our best to satisfy the many users who shared their thoughts, pictures, questions, and love for and of their pets with us and friends. It was a thriving community with many users. We hoped, however, there would be more like you.

Times and habits have changed and we are sad to announce that the Catster community will be closing down on July 20, 2019.

Catster magazine, www.catster.com and the associated social media sites are NOT shutting down. We encourage you to continue reading the content found in the pages of the magazine and the web sites, commenting through the mechanisms provided and sharing your ideas and comments with us and your fellow readers.

Instructions for accessing pet profiles were shared with everyone in 2017. The instructions can be found elsewhere within the forum. AFTER JULY 20TH, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ACCESS THIS CONTENT. And, effective immediately, we are no longer able to answer questions about the community.

Thank you for your support and we look forward to serving you through our magazine and website.

Cheers,
Catster

Amount to Feed...

Denise SDenise S Member Posts: 54
edited 11 November, 2008 in Food & Nutrition
Meow! I have another question. I'm 4lbs and 4 months old. My mommy feeds me 1/2 of a 3oz Wellness wet food can for breakfast and the other half for dinner. She also leaves me about a handful of Purina Pro Plan dry food for kittens during the day. In the evening if my bowl is empty, she will give me just a little dry food to get me through the night incase I get hungry. Sometimes I eat all my wet food (when it is a flavor I really like) and other times, I leave it behind. I don't really cry for food. My mommy is worried about how much to feed me. Some days my tummy looks bigger than others. Is a full 3oz can split into 2 servings a day enough or too much for me? Let me know what you think and I'll pass the info along to my mommy. Jixie...

Comments

• Annalisa Conserti-JonesAnnalisa Conserti-Jones Member Posts: 5,234
    edited 9 November, 2008
    Hmmm... I'd say that's on the low side, because around here we split about 3/4 of a cup of Wellness Core and a 5.5 can of wet food a day between two of us kitties. So frankly I think both of us would starve on the amount you are being fed right now. Mom says that kittens younger than six months should be offered as much food as they will eat. How do you do otherwise? Are you healthy and energetic? Do you beg for human food?
  • Denise SDenise S Member Posts: 54
    edited 9 November, 2008
    Nah, I don't beg for human food. I'm curious about what mommy's eating and go to any lengths to explore what's in the plate. When she gets firm, I usually give in. I have a lot of energy. I sleep during the day when she's gone but in the morning and the evening when she comes home, I am ready to play. Sounds like the wet food might be about right if you're splitting the 5.5oz can with your sibling. Maybe she needs to give me a bit more dry food like she used to before she thought it might be a bit too much. Thanks, I'll make sure she keeps a track of my bowl over the next few days.. Jixie
  • Stephanie ChangtuStephanie Changtu MiamiMember Posts: 1,175
    edited 9 November, 2008
    Sounds like too little! At your age, and your weight, you should be getting 452 calories a day. A 3oz can of Wellness (depending on the flavor) have 90 - 120 calories.
    edited 10 November, 2008
    Meow Zaphod! Thanks for your feedback. The number of calories is a good guideline. We're looking into it right now and starting today, we'll aim for close to 500. She only wants the best for me. New mommy and all. Jixie...
  • Stephanie ChangtuStephanie Changtu MiamiMember Posts: 1,175
    edited 10 November, 2008
    Calories in Pro Plan Kitten Metabolizable Energy (ME) 472 Calories per cup Digestible Enegry (DE) 497 Calories per cup One thing, Pro Plan has horrible ingredients and isn't (at all) something I would feed. Is there any way you can feed another (high quality) kibble or (even better) an all canned diet.
    edited 11 November, 2008
    Meow Zaphod! Mommy is trying to switch me over to Wellness Core and is mixing it in with the Purina Pro Plan. Hopefully, in 7 days I'll be eating just the Core and mommy will have to figure out what to do with that other stuff. She still has a pretty big container left of it. She'd love to feed me all wet food but works during the day and doesn't feel comfortable leaving the wet out all day. She thinks it might go bad during the day and/or figuring out how much to leave for the full day. Food for thought for us. Thanks for all your help. Purrs.. Jixie :D:D