Dear Catster reader,

Almost two years ago, we invested numerous resources and rebuilt the Catster community. With new hardware, software and personnel, we did our best to satisfy the many users who shared their thoughts, pictures, questions, and love for and of their pets with us and friends. It was a thriving community with many users. We hoped, however, there would be more like you.

Times and habits have changed and we are sad to announce that the Catster community will be closing down on July 20, 2019.

Catster magazine, www.catster.com and the associated social media sites are NOT shutting down. We encourage you to continue reading the content found in the pages of the magazine and the web sites, commenting through the mechanisms provided and sharing your ideas and comments with us and your fellow readers.

Instructions for accessing pet profiles were shared with everyone in 2017. The instructions can be found elsewhere within the forum. AFTER JULY 20TH, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ACCESS THIS CONTENT. And, effective immediately, we are no longer able to answer questions about the community.

Thank you for your support and we look forward to serving you through our magazine and website.

Cheers,
Catster

I DON\"T NO HOW MUCH TO FEED THIS CRAZY CATS NO MORE

keri cruzkeri cruz BrooklynMember Posts: 57
edited 14 November, 2008 in Food & Nutrition
Hi, I have two kittys one is a year old and a few months and the other is about 7 months old I'm not sure how much I should be feeding them. I'm afraid I been feeding them too much but all they want to do is eat .Every time i go in the kitchen they attack me!!! The little one is a stray so she dosn"t even let the big one eat till she is done so i try to separate them .About two days ago i relized Ally the baby boy is getting a little pudgy and the other one been a little fat becuse she was the only *(child)* and is spolid. I feed them a cup of dry food twice a day morning and day for both and a 5.5 oz can of Friskies one a week for a snake. I don't let them free feed no more for about a few weeks becuse they will constantly eat. They act like their always hungry, Ally even tries to stealhuman food and even drinks out the bottle. Any suggestions? Would be so helpful :^:

Comments

• Forrest JenkinsForrest Jenkins Member Posts: 439
    edited 10 November, 2008
    Have you read the feeding directions on the food? A cup of dry twice a day is a LOT for most brands. Also, a mainly dry food diet tends to make them hungrier because dry often has a lot of corn or other carb/starch material that is not ideal for cats. They need mainly protein. The Friskies Special Diet canned catfood is a decent one because it doesn't have wheat gluten or artificial materials/dyes in it. Mine get 1/8 cup of dry once or twice a day (my schedule varies, so sometimes they don't get the midday meal), and 2.5 oz. of wet food (Natural Life or some other no-artificials-no-wheat-gluten food) once a day. Both their weights are healthy and stable at just under 8 lbs. for one, 8.5 for the other. My cats are big, tall things too--most cats are healthy around 6 lbs., but your vet can tell you what your cats' ideal weight should be. Don't be fooled by them freaking out about food every time you're in the kitchen. They have "trained" you to feed them whenever they pitch a fit like that, and you reinforce it every time you feed. It's not because they are hungry, believe me. Around 6-7 months the rapid baby growth slows down, so it is appropriate to reduce their food intake to an adult amount, especially if they are putting on that extra "fluffy" weight. I recommend you look at the feeding guidelines on their food, divide that amount into 2-3 small meals per day, and increase the wet food as you decrease the dry food. Wet food is more satisfying/filling to cats, even though it has less total calories than dry. Just know that the screaming and dying before your feet will get worse before it gets better, but they WILL figure out that they cannot persuade you if you feed them at the same times every day. It might help to get a timed feeder. If you can break the association between yourself and food, they will calm down and figure out they cannot bully a machine.
  • keri cruzkeri cruz BrooklynMember Posts: 57
    edited 11 November, 2008
    hey that sounds like a good idea for a X-mass presents for them lol becuse i know their a little pricey lol thanks so much ..............................MY KITTYS SAY THANKS TOOOOOO..................=;
  • Stephanie DejanStephanie Dejan Des PlainesMember Posts: 4,239
    edited 14 November, 2008
    Ally, are your kitties really saying thanks?? I wouldn't! :))!