Some important questions!

Saskia RottbeckSaskia Rottbeck CairnsMember Posts: 26,400
edited 27 November, 2008 in Food & Nutrition
I am doing my first assignment for my vet nursing course right now and I have to answer alot of questions about feeding cats. I just wanted to get some help with some of the questions. 1. What is the "wild" diet of the cat? 2. How are you notified of the feeding requirements of the cat? 3. How do you ensure the diet you feed is nutritionally adequate? Thank you in advance for your help|:|

Comments

• Sherry StoneSherry Stone Member Posts: 526
    edited 11 November, 2008
    1. What is the "wild" diet of the cat? Wild diet would be any birds they can catch, mice, rats, eggs from nests, insects, sometimes fish, depending on where the animal lives, prairee dogs, squirrels. Basically anything they can catch and kill! 2. How are you notified of the feeding requirements of the cat? Most of the time, people are notified of the requirements by the vet at a new cat/kitten checkup. Some by the back of the bag/can. Since I feed raw meaty bones, I really on a prey-based idea. 3. How do you ensure the diet you feed is nutritionally adequate? For me, the prey model. 80% meat, 10% bone, 5% liver, %5 offal meats. For kibble/canned feeders, they have to rely on what is on the bag/can, or on what the vet tells them. Hope this is what you're looking for!:)
  • Stephanie DejanStephanie Dejan Des PlainesMember Posts: 4,239
    edited 14 November, 2008
    Warning, this is a little bit of a rant. Sorry, but it's a sore point right now. Watson, great answers! The only thing I would change is about determining the nutrition needs of the cat. Zara, I am really glad you asked that, because I have become very frustrated with the lack of knowledge conventional vets seem to have about feline/canine nutrition. I have never had a vet volunteer feeding recommendations (they probably do with animals with a weight problem though). In fact, with my dog's digestive problems they've just shrugged (literally) and said "allergies," and sold me a prescription diet. When that didn't work they let it go unless I pestered them. Thank you for wanting to learn about it, and I'm really glad you're getting input from someone besides a pet food manufacturer! OK, I'll get off my soapbox now!
  • Beastie_and_the_BoysBeastie_and_the_Boys Marquette, MI / ChicagoMember Posts: 17,806 ✭✭✭
    edited 14 November, 2008
    This isn't a direct answer for these questions, but something that's interesting to read on the subject. Most commercial pet diets are formulated to meet AAFCO standards. Here is a Q&A from the AAFCO on their own regulations: Association of American Feed Control Officials, Questions and Answers Regarding Pet Food Regulations
  • Sherry StoneSherry Stone Member Posts: 526
    edited 15 November, 2008
    Here\'s another one, called \"What\'s in Pet Food\". I just found it really interesting! http://www.api4animals.org/downloads/pdf/PetFoodReport_05-07.pdf
  • Nicole MartinNicole Martin CranfordMember Posts: 185
    edited 27 November, 2008
    1. What is the "wild" diet of the cat? mostly small prey (birds, rodents); I have also seen many a stray hunt and eat insects 2. How are you notified of the feeding requirements of the cat? Every food company lists recommendations on their bags or cans. These are often overinflated though so that we buy more food. 3. How do you ensure the diet you feed is nutritionally adequate? The AAFCO regulations are supposed to be our assurance of that but I feel they let too much slide because it is not a government organization.