What to feed new kittens?

meredith maynardmeredith maynard Member Posts: 80
edited 18 November, 2008 in Food & Nutrition
Hi there! We have 2 3 month old kittens at home now (Tiger & Bubbles) and are having a hard time with what to feed them. We only want to feed them wet food, maybe raw at some point. I have been feeding them EVO, which in my opinion is the best canned food out there. I was feeding them all of the 95% meat varieties until my vet told me only the original EVO is for all life stages. So, we are now limited to one flavor and they are very bored with it. I try mixing in a little of the beef cans and that works, kind of. They aren't excited when I feed them, it seems like they just eat it to satisfy their hunger without really enjoying it. So, I am guessing it is time for a change. I looked up the Nature's Variety brand online today to check out Instinct canned food, and it says they import some of their ingredients from China, which is a no no for us since our last kitty (Friday) got hurt from melamine. We tried a can of Avoderm Select Cuts Chicken Chunks/Cat & Kitten food today and Tiger went insane for it, like I've never seen (yay!), while Bubbles wasn't too thrilled. I am in the process of figuring out if they import ingredients from China or not. So, I'm here to ask you what you think is the best canned kitten appropriate food in the world and why??!! Thanks and purrs, Tiger & Bubbles

Comments

• Tina BTina B Vancouver IslandMember Posts: 2,238
    edited 16 November, 2008
    Hi there ,why dont you try the Wellness grain free flavours, they are fine for kitties. There is also a new Wellness canned core too :) I wont feed Avoderm as it has Avocados in it, why take that risk, as its toxic to cats, who knows if something went wrong and they accidently put too much, but hey thats just me, miss worry wart. lol!
  • Sherry StoneSherry Stone Member Posts: 526
    edited 17 November, 2008
    If you're interested in raw, there's no time like the present:D. At that age, they'll be much easier to transition that when they're older! Check out rawcats at http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/rawcat/ They can give a LOT of good advice!
  • meredith maynardmeredith maynard Member Posts: 80
    edited 17 November, 2008
    Thanks Shadow & Watson :) I actually feel like their is so much stuff in the Wellness cans - cranberries, sweet potatoes, etc, that it's kind of overkill. Some people say cranberries are toxic to cats, so that is interesting to hear about avocados! Yikes! Why would they make a cat food out of avocados if they are toxic!!?? We fed our last kitty, Friday, raw food (Primal Raw nuggests) for the last 2 years of his life. He loved it! I was thinking about starting them on a sometimes raw diet because when we are away I don't really feel comfortable that our cat sitters will handle the raw food properly. Our vet discourages it (like most do), but said if we were to feed them raw, that it should only be Nature's Variety Brand because they meet the AAFCO standards for cat nutrition and the rest of them don't. Then I found out that they import ingredients from China and I am still waiting to hear back from them. Please keep the feedback coming! THANKS!
  • Tina BTina B Vancouver IslandMember Posts: 2,238
    edited 17 November, 2008
    Hi Friday- Lucifer, ya I know what you mean, I dont like the extra added stuff either, but I guess im just putting up with it for now, as there isnt anything else out there, other than Evo, and I cant just feed that alone. I am hoping that there is not that much cranberry in the Wellness . I also would like to go raw, but Shadow has no teeth accept for her fangs and inscissors, so will have to go with a premade raw, they both dont like Natures Variety raw, so I was going to try another brand here that I can get. I tell you if I won the lottery I would make my own pet food company. :))
  • Sherry StoneSherry Stone Member Posts: 526
    edited 17 November, 2008
    I don\'t know if this is something that would work for you, but all my kitties are in the process of being transitioned to raw meaty bones, instead of premade raw. Chewing and eating bone will actually help with dental health, which in turn helps keep kitty healthier by reducing the amount of plaque and bacteria sitting in the mouth.
  • Tara WTara W St. PaulMember Posts: 939
    edited 17 November, 2008
    I agree with Watson. Just skip the premade for your little ones and get some real meat from the butcher/grocery store/farmer/whatever. The awesome thing about feeding raw is that the stuff that's the best for them (fatty/small bones/tough meat) is the stuff humans don't generally like and so it is CHEAP! I just went to an asian market today and bought quail, quail eggs, duckling gizzards, chicken necks, pork kidney, beef tongue and beef lips and only spent $25. That will last many meals for my four carnivores.
    edited 17 November, 2008
    Well, haha, I am a vegetarian, so all of that stuff is kinda icky to me. If I was going to feed raw, I would use the pre-made nuggets. I picked up some Newman's Organics Canned Food today. It just came out, 95% organic beef, beef & liver, or just liver. It's approved for all life stages and has no grain. The kitties went crazy for it, although it does look pretty disgusting! Anyone out there have any input on this food? I don't know if you should feed liver so often? I also talked to the woman at the pet store and she said they only put avocado oil into the Avoderm, not sure if that makes a difference. Thanks!
  • Tara WTara W St. PaulMember Posts: 939
    edited 17 November, 2008
    Supposedly it's the avocado skin and pit that's poisonous. Regardless... cats have no need for plant matter, so the addition of avocado oil is only to appeal to the humans buying it and not for the health of the cat. Now if they were adding fish body oil or emu oil or something for the same benefit, that would be worthwhile. But that's likely much more expensive than avocado oil... so there ya go. Humans know that avocados are good for them and thus figure it must be good for their cat as well.
  • Stephanie ChangtuStephanie Changtu MiamiMember Posts: 1,175
    edited 17 November, 2008
    Feeding too much liver can cause hypervitaminosis A, calcium phosphorous imbalance, and has a large amount of Vitamin C, which cats make themselves. ETA: Never tired the liver one, but some of my siblings have tried the Chicken and Salmon flavor (Newman's Own), and it wasn't bad at all. Although mum wouldn't feed it to us more than once a week because it has fish (salmon)
    edited 18 November, 2008
    Yeah, thanks. We went to the vet today for Tiger's distemper vaccine and I asked her about the liver. She said once in awhile is fine, just not everyday. Now that they have tried the Avoderm and the Newman's, they refuse to eat the EVO, instead they try to bury it. I guess I will try some Wellness no grain as I have no idea what else to feed them! Any more ideas are welcome! Also thought you guys might enjoy this: http://www.jamesshuggins.com/h/hum1/guidelines_for_cats.htm
    edited 18 November, 2008
    Yeah, thanks. We went to the vet today for Tiger's distemper vaccine and I asked her about the liver. She said once in awhile is fine, just not everyday. Now that they have tried the Avoderm and the Newman's, they refuse to eat the EVO, instead they try to bury it. I guess I will try some Wellness no grain as I have no idea what else to feed them! Any more ideas are welcome! Also thought you guys might enjoy this: http://www.jamesshuggins.com/h/hum1/guidelines_for_cats.htm