Feeding a cat with urinary problems.

Stephanie ChangtuStephanie Changtu MiamiMember Posts: 1,175
edited 20 November, 2008 in Food & Nutrition
I've seen many threads now asking what to feed a cat with all types of urinary problems, so I thought it would be a good idea to make a thread about it. Cats with any of these problems need alot of water, so it is best to feed an all canned or raw diet. You should also stay away from fish completelỵ You shouldn't mix kibble with water, because when its left there for awhile, it creates a mold that can make the cat sick. To get your cat to drink more water, it wouldn't be a bad idea to get a pet water fountain. A little cranberry/cranberry juice helps sometimes, alsọ. Íve heard foods with low magnesium/ash help, toọ. High quailty foods are really helpful.

Comments

• Tina BTina B Vancouver IslandMember Posts: 2,238
    edited 19 November, 2008
    Hi I will add that you are right about the canned or raw for urinary problems,:) but.... the cranberry they can do without, the sugar that is in cranberry actually raise the urine PH, which adds to bladder problems. Cats do not need any fruit or vegetable matter in their diet, they do not get any benefit from this. All these things do is appease us humans, thinking if its good for us, it must be good for our cats. All it does is make the product more cost effective, and make product last longer. Just thought I'd add my 2 cents
  • Sherry StoneSherry Stone Member Posts: 526
    edited 19 November, 2008
    Why should a kitty avoid fish if they have urinary problems? And by urinary problems, do you mean crystals, infections, or what? I didn\'t know this.
    edited 19 November, 2008
    Once was thought that magnesium in the fish was causing struvite, but new research shows this is not the case. Magnesium chloride acidifies the urine, and magnesium oxide makes a more alkaline urine. There are 2 different kinds of crystals here struvite and alkaline. Salmon and some other cleaner fish is not as high in magnesium as Tuna, it is alot higher. *I will only feed my cats salmon once a week, they do not get Tuna at all, here are some of the reasons why I dont feed Tuna (on a daily basis.) -Makes for a picky cat ( cats need a variety in diet) -Contains Mercury -high in mineral salts (this is what is bad for the cats urine) -high in polyunsaturated fats, which cats cannot metabolize. -Tuna in vegie oil takes vitamin E away from the cat.
  • Karen LeeKaren Lee The kingdom of Mer-lotMember Posts: 89,020
    edited 19 November, 2008
    Fish and seafoods are high in phosphorus which can create crystals and is hard on the kidneys, epesically for CRF cats. You should eat fish/seafood only once in awhile.
  • Stephanie ChangtuStephanie Changtu MiamiMember Posts: 1,175
    edited 19 November, 2008
    Yes, by urinary problems I mean UTIs, crystals ect... I know you shouldn't feed a cat cranberry/cranberry juice, some foods (like Wellness) already have it in them.
    edited 20 November, 2008
    Yes I just put up with this small amount of cranberry that is in Wellness, I dontlike it but there is not many options out there, as the pet food companys only are trying to appeal to us humans, and not our actual carnivores.