Thanksgiving leftovers, what\'s safe?

Jason YoungbergJason Youngberg WheatonMember Posts: 251
edited 23 November, 2008 in Food & Nutrition
I don't each much human food (except spam and licking the cereal bowl clean) but with Thanksgiving coming next week my Daddy is wondering what foods would be safe to give us. Unfortunately Daddy won't be giving us much, if any, but he's curious. :((

Comments

• Tara WTara W St. PaulMember Posts: 939
    edited 20 November, 2008
    You can eat ANY part of the turkey as long as it is completely raw. The gizzard, liver and heart are excellent. The dark leg meat is very yummy. You can even chew on a raw wing bone or ribs. Your person may need to break it up for you a bit as turkey bones are pretty big. There's a lot of wonderful nutritious marrow inside that you will go bonkers for. If it's cooked, the only thing you can have is the meat. And only if it is completely unseasoned. Make absolutely sure that you don't get a hold of any cooked bones. Cooked bones are dry and brittle and could easily break and cause serious injury or a blockage.
  • Jason YoungbergJason Youngberg WheatonMember Posts: 251
    edited 20 November, 2008
    Thank you! The meat is going to be smoked. Will that make a difference? What about ham?
  • Tara WTara W St. PaulMember Posts: 939
    edited 20 November, 2008
    I'm really not sure about the smoking process being good or bad, but I think I would limit it to just a few little tidbits. As for ham... that generally has quite a bit of salt and you should probably just offer a taste or two. When I make deli ham sandwiches I'll give the cats a couple of strips maybe a half inch square. I don't want them to fill up on cooked meats when their raw diet offers many more benefits.
  • Amber SimmonAmber Simmon Member Posts: 2,703
    edited 23 November, 2008
    Random note on the chicken bones, I went to visit my grandpa and found his cat running around chocking. We cornered her, I held her and my mom stuck her fingers into her mouth and pulled a chicken bone out. It had lodged in her throat like this _______. It was so scary. :( I got a buy one get one free turkey this year, so I think I'm going to let the kitties have one, indoor and ferals hehe~a~