Wow, better quality does make a difference

Amber SimmonAmber Simmon Member Posts: 2,703
edited 7 February, 2009 in Food & Nutrition
Shocking!!! lol So for a week or so, my cats were eating the cheap-o cat food, long story short, I got $80 stolen from me and we all had to eat bad food lol We went back to eating a decent, but not great cat food and wowza! The litterboxes are so much better. I was scooping all 3 boxes, 2 times a day because if I didn't, they would go outside the box because they'd get so dirty. It seriously looked like I just didn't scoop the box for a couple days. Disgusting!! We're totally buying a higher quality once they're done with this bag. I like less poop! :) :) So name the better brands. The only place besides a grocery store I can get pet food at is petco so they have to carry it.

Comments

• Tina BTina B Vancouver IslandMember Posts: 2,238
    edited 23 November, 2008
    I would go for the Wellness or Natural balance.
  • Chrysee HinshawChrysee Hinshaw Member Posts: 474
    edited 23 November, 2008
    Wellness is just an all-around good food. I think petco has it? I would just make sure to buy it when there's still plenty of the current food left so you can transition them over to it very slowly, otherwise you could end up with a lot more poop if their stomachs get upset by the sudden change. They also seem to carry Eagle Pack, Solid Gold, Natural Balance, etc. Plenty of good brands to choose from. But Wellness is quite good and has a solid reputation.
  • Stephanie ChangtuStephanie Changtu MiamiMember Posts: 1,175
    edited 23 November, 2008
    Wellness. These are other good foods Petco has: Natural Balance Solid Gold Blue Buffalo Halo's Spot Stew O.K. Foods from Petco Pet Promise Castor and Pollux Organix
  • Elease KruegerElease Krueger Member Posts: 483
    edited 26 November, 2008
    no kidding right!! each time i've upgraded i've notice HUGE differences! :)) i first fed purina one and thought they were doing fine. then one day i tried the purina indoor and it was horrible, it's actually what made me start to look into better food. then i switched to blue buffalo wilderness which was great! then this last bag was Evo and WOW!! all their dandruff is gone, they are sooo much softer, their litter box is sooo much better, and they actually come looking for someone to play with them instead of just sleeping all day!! i know i'll never go back!
  • Gimli_TGMGimli_TGM HurstMember Posts: 29,929 ✭✭
    edited 27 November, 2008
    Mom has been feeding us Solid Gold for the last 8 months and she is impressed! K.C. came to live with us back in August. Her dad took her to the vet two years ago and said K.C. was overweight at 20 pounds (but she's Manx like me and my sister) so she was put on Science Diet. Mom transitioned K.C. to Solid Gold and K.C. sure is slimming down!
  • Nicole MartinNicole Martin CranfordMember Posts: 185
    edited 27 November, 2008
    It definately does make a difference. Angel ate Friskies when she was younger and we thought she was fine. I started working at a pet store that sold natural foods. We started working up the ladder of foods and gradually saw her getting healthier and healthier. She is now eating Stella and Chewy's raw food and it is the best thing I could have done for her. She was always on the small side and actually had a growth spurt once we switched her to the raw food. Behavior issues that she had (hyperactivity and aggression) even resolved for the most part.
  • Amber SimmonAmber Simmon Member Posts: 2,703
    edited 27 November, 2008
    lol Nayru! I've been feeding puriena one as well and was pleased with that for a while. i'm going to write some of these down and Friday I'll buy a bag of one of them and update in a week or so lol
  • Laura ToddLaura Todd Rocky MountMember Posts: 116
    edited 30 November, 2008
    BeBe, I reccommend Wellness, too. Kit-Kat has slimmed down on the canned varieties, his coat is shinier and his skin is less flakey. I wish I had a more current picture of him! This one just doesn't do him justice!:D
    edited 11 December, 2008
    They've been eating Natures ...best? or balance? something like that. They LOVE it. Fnirst day, when I mixed it int wiht what they were eating, they went nuts. one sat there and picked out the old food and just ate the new lol Litterboxes are def. cleaner. And their coats are starting to brighten up. BeBe's was getting so dull looking. Doesn't help some of his fur is grey but eh. haha I think we're going to stick with this for a while. I'm still working on the BF about raw food. I want to get a deep freezer to put their food in though. sorry about the typos. i just got my laptop fixed and I'm not used to the keyboard yet.
  • Jen SchmidtJen Schmidt MinneapolisMember Posts: 48
    edited 11 December, 2008
    We are going grain-free! We're being transitioned right now from Blue Buffalo to Wellness CORE. Both are available at Petco, I believe...?? We shopped at Petsmart for the BB and now at a local chain for the CORE since it's a tad cheaper! Glad to know you found something that is working well!
    edited 14 December, 2008
    For some reason Wellness only comes in smaller bags at the Petco here. I almost bought the large bag...but then I realized it was dog food. :)) They're eating a lot less too. Now BeBe's REALLY hyper. I caught him climbing up things he shouldn't lol Hopefully Jinx will loose some weight on it. She's starting to become a very chubby princess. This bag says grain free...But I didn't think dry food could be totally grain free, can it? Maybe I don't understand what a grain techincally is. Hmmm
    edited 14 December, 2008
    BeBe, is it Wellness core that you are feeding?? it is grain free, but unfortunately you will not loose weight on this, you may actually gain weight if you feed what it says on the bag. Make sure you only feed the right amount of calories per day: weight of cat x 13.6 + 70 = the amount of calories you should have a day.
  • Annkatrin RoseAnnkatrin Rose BooneMember Posts: 88
    edited 14 December, 2008
    We like Nature\'s Variety 95% meat. Not sure if they would have it at Petco - we don\'t have any of the big pet store chains nearby - but mommy buys it online for us. Wellness is ok, but the 95% meat cans are the best we\'ve had so far. We still insist on getting our kibble as well, of course, so mommy mixes Natural Balance and Wellness Core for our dry food snacks.
    edited 15 December, 2008
    All four are only eating about a quater of a cup. It's Natural Balance Ultra ingredients Chicken, Chicken Meal, Brown Rice, Duck, Lamb Meal, Potatoes, Chicken Fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols, Vitamin E) Canola Oil, Oatmeal, Fish Meal, Brewers Yeast, Rosemary Extract, Dried Skimmed Milk, Natural Flavor, Dried Eggs, Carrots, Whole Ground Flaxseed, Kelp, DL Methionine, Dried Cranberries, Lecithin, Parsley Flakes, Tomato Pomace, Taurine, Zinc Sulfate, Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Vitamin A Acetate, Riboflavin, Thiamine Mononitrate, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Biotin, Vitamin C Supplement, Yucca Schidigera, Folic Acid, Copper Sulfate, Manganous Oxide, Vitamin K Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Ethylene Dihydriodide, Sodium Selenite.
  • Irina HepburnIrina Hepburn TorontoMember Posts: 19
    edited 21 January, 2009
    Honestly, the debate over cat food brands is just silly. We are cats. We really don't care whether we are fed Science Diet over Meow Mix. Essentially they are the same thing with no "special benefits" and false advertising. For example, I was fed Science Diet and it gave me hair-balls and I really didn't like it. I actually starved myself from it and when Meow Mix Wholesome Naturals were introduced to my meal I ate around the Science Diet. My family has realized there were no significant changes to my fur, or anything they claim. And also, do you really believe that the cat food companies aren't paying the vets to promote their food?! Because they are!!!
  • Kerri ZimmermanKerri Zimmerman WinnipegMember Posts: 448
    edited 18 January, 2009
    I have to disagree with you. I think it is a great idea that BeBe's mom has decided to feed her a higher quality cat food. Of course cats love meow mix - it is junk food to them. Who doesn't like junk food? Especially if they don't know anything different. Humans do it all the time. If kids were to feed themselves they would eat candy, chips and pop all day. The ingredients in the lower end cat foods are atrocious. The first 3-4 ingredients aren't even meat. To me this tells me these foods are crap. Corn, rice, grains, should not be in the first 3-4 ingredients nor meat by products. Most of these foods have fillers that cats stomachs can not handle. And should not be eating. Why do you think that we have to constantly be cleaning out their litterboxes. Fillers, grains = large stinky poops....I choose to feed my cat a raw food diet because then I know what is really going into my cats diet. Not too mention their poops are not stinky and are much smaller. My one cat had chronic diarrhea for years on commercial pet food. I fed him vet recommended food for his supposedly "Sensitive" stomach. His diarrhea never went away. Now that he has been fed a raw diet his diarrhea has completely cleared up. So, I have no doubt that it was the ingredients in the commercial pet food that his stomach could not handle. And he should not be eating. Check out the following sites to see what is really in commercial pet food http://www.gentlecarepet.com/whatis_commercialpetfood http://www.bornfreeusa.org/facts.php?p=359&more=1 http://www.naturalnews.com/025063.html http://www.rawmeatybones.com/articles/Nexus07_pub_articletext.pdf http://vonhapsburg.homestead.com/petfood.html I recently have had to put my other cat back on to half canned and half raw food (The canned is Wellness) to get medication into her and her stools are alot stinkier again...
  • Lissa NicholsonLissa Nicholson SydneyMember Posts: 1,562
    edited 18 January, 2009
    I thought Fui and Suey were healthy on Iams. Fui had 2 UTIs, yellow teeth and gingivitis, and was a bit of a fatty boombah but I got the impression that was normal. They've been on a higher quality food for nearly a year, and I am thrilled with the improvements. They had shiny coats on the Iams, but now they glisten. Fui's teeth are white and he has no gingivitis. He has not had a UTI since the switch, and he has been slowly losing weight. Initially, it was all the stuff about recalls and euthanised shelter animals ending up in some foods that made me want to switch, alongside the animal testing Iams does, but now when I see the visible benefits in both my cats, I understand all the other reasons to switch. I finally found a supply shop that has Innova for cats on Thursday. Fui and Suey will begin the transition to that in the next few days, and I can't wait! I got all excited when comparing kj per gram in what they are eating now, and the Innova, aswell as the ingredient list. If the Innova sells well, the shop is looking at bringing in some Evo- woot!
  • Sherry StoneSherry Stone Member Posts: 526
    edited 18 January, 2009
    Cats on a "less expensive" food may live almost as long a cats fed a high quality, or raw, diet. But almost guaranteed, the kitties on the high quality will have fewer of the medical problems that will beset the older kitties on the "less expensive" kibbles! And I know some who will say their cat has not had any medical problems, and lived to 19. And I think that's great. But genetics also plays a role. My great grandma lived to 97, had smoked since she was 15, and drank a brandy every night.
    edited 18 January, 2009
    "In my experience" my cats were on dry food they got fat and one got crystals in her urine. I did not know alot about pet food back then, but now they are on a all wet diet, they have lost weight, do not have any UTI problems, and I have been doing this for 2 years now, and all is good. Where I live we are not really going through bad economic times yet. I feel bad for those that are in the United States.:( I myself am a huge animal lover, and I do not feel I am wasting my time when I want to educate myself on their proper nutrition. I wouldnt want to be wasting my time going to the vets all the time with a sick cats. That is why most of us are here in this Forum is because we love our cats , we want to learn more, and want what is best for them.
  • Jessica CobbJessica Cobb Gastonia/CharlotteMember Posts: 91
    edited 18 January, 2009
    Radar- Baudouin, this may come as a surprise to you but Science Diet is no better than Meow Mix. So when you say that you saw no change in your cats coat, hairballs, nutrition, weight, etc. when you switched - that's because they are virtually the same food. They both have corn, by-products, tons of cheap grains, and other junk that has no place in a cats diet. You're right about one thing, cats don't care what brand they're given. They'll eat whatever they think tastes best, but we should care. We are the ones that provide all their nutrition and medical care for them, they can't do it themselves. I guarantee you if they had a voice, they would tell us to feed them food that is good for them! Not food that makes them overweight, have less energy, with dull coats, and that had hardly any nutritional value whatsoever. It's up to us to feed our cats good foods. We all love our kitties here, so why not give them the best? And the best doesn't almost mean the most expensive. It just means the best for your kitty and your budget. But to say that someone doesn't have an important life because they are actually concerned about the health and nutrition of their cat - that's just wrong and very rude. My three cats are like my children, and I would do anything in the world for them. I understand that everyone doesn't look at their "pets" the same way, but a lot of us do on this board. No one is being suckered into false advertising. I for one, have first hand experience of healthier cats after switching to a premium food. I switched all 3 of mine to Wellness grain-free cans, and they are like a bunch of kittens running around with TONS of energy. They have smaller, less-stinky stools, and have beautiful silky coats with no white flakes. So I know for a FACT it has helped my cats. And that is reason enough for me to feed the food that I do. When they were on a lower quality kibble they just slept all day, got overweight, and had yucky dull coats. Who in the world wants that? Science Diet Adult Optimal Care Original: Chicken By-Product Meal, Ground Whole Grain Corn, Brewers Rice, Animal Fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols and citric acid), Corn Gluten Meal, Chicken Liver Flavor, Potassium Chloride, Calcium Sulfate, Choline Chloride, vitamins (L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate (source of vitamin C), Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin, Thiamine Mononitrate, Vitamin A Supplement, Calcium Pantothenate, Riboflavin, Biotin, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Folic Acid, Vitamin D3 Supplement), Iodized Salt, Vitamin E Supplement, Taurine, minerals (Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Oxide, Copper Sulfate, Manganous Oxide, Calcium Iodate, Sodium Selenite), preserved with Mixed Tocopherols and Citric Acid, Beta-Carotene, Rosemary Extract. Meow Mix Original Choice: Ground Yellow Corn, Corn Gluten Meal, Chicken By-Product Meal, Soybean Meal, Beef Tallow Preserved with Mixed-Tocopherols (Source of Vitamin E), Turkey By-Product Meal, Salmon Meal, Oceanfish Meal, Brewers Dried Yeast, Phosphoric Acid, Animal Digest, Calcium Carbonate, Potassium Chloride, Tetra Sodium Pyrophosphate, Calcium Chloride, Choline Chloride, Added Color (Red 40, Yellow 5, Blue 2 and other Color), Salt, Taurine, Zinc Sulfate, Ferrous Sulfate, L-alanine, Niacin, Vitamin Supplements (E, A, B-12, D-3), Calcium Pantothenate, Manganese Sulfate, Riboflavin Supplement, Biotin, Folic Acid, Copper Sulfate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Thiamine Mononitrate, Citric Acid, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex (Source of Vitamin K Activity), Calcium Iodate, Sodium Selenite. Edited to add ingredients.
  • Elizabeth MabardyElizabeth Mabardy Member Posts: 2,708
    edited 18 January, 2009
    Shadow, I feel the same way as you do when it comes to our Kats. I put her needs ahead of mine. She eats all Grain-free mostly canned, some grain-free dry too. She was eating S Diet Original Adult formula when I adopted her from a shelter about a 1 ago. Then I started feeding her better quality premuim foods. I noticed right away her coat was so silky, smooth, had a lot more energy & her litter box never has a stinky odor at all. We use WBCL. Everybody that sees Kally Kat says wow you really take excellent care of her. I read & resource such sites as catinfo.com & a few other Wholistic sites, that some of us posters has suggested reading. I want to educate myself & help others. Kally eats Wellness Grain-free, Innova, Evo, ZiwiPeak & Natures Variety Natural Instincts Rabbits her favorite. I give her Serengeti Grain-Free Dry from Timberwolf. I couldn't believe how nice it smells. She really prefers canned over dry. Taking care of our Kats is a top priority you have to do what's best for your little ones. We all want to avoid taking them to the Vets unless it's really neccesary, just the costs of the visits are horrendous for most of us pet owners. Today, Kally Kat ate some homemade Organic Bell & Evans Chicken & organic potatoes & carrots, just a little "Special Sunday dinner" :) Like I wrote earlier we all have to do whats best for our Kats. We all can learn from one another without insults & negativity. This a place where we can all love & give it our best. . Gotta go now, my neighbor just called as She's frantic taking care of her son's Kat while he's in the hospital. purrs to all kitties :^:
  • Lisa PerryLisa Perry Houston/Atascocita/HumbleMember Posts: 712 ✭✭
    edited 18 January, 2009
    Radar, why don't you stop being so rude. Just because someone doesn't share YOUR views, does not mean that they are ignorant or being suckered into anything. Everyone has a CHOICE. Why can't you just respect that and if you want to express YOUR views, do so but stop being so rude about it AND stop meowing about others behind their backs. Your mommy knows EXACTLY what I'm hissing about.
  • Cassandra NoneCassandra None Member Posts: 406
    edited 20 January, 2009
    Radar, Have a Coke and a smile on me. And stop posing and posting as a cat on this thread - you are ::coughcough: a few degrees south of reality on this issue. Cheers!
    edited 23 January, 2009
    Yeah, science diet really isn't that much better. Oh boy. I don't know why drama follows me. lol
  • Nicole JonesNicole Jones Fort CollinsMember Posts: 128
    edited 25 January, 2009
    We feed one of our cats the Natural Balance Ultra. Like most quality foods, it's higher in calories so you want to be careful on the amount or you'll end up with a fat kitty! That means you have to feed less though and it makes it even less expensive. Natural Balance is one of the more affordable quality dry foods, I highly recommend it. The best food at Petco is Wellness, but it's expensive. Wellness CORE is modeled after a raw diet, with very high protein and no grains. Petco carries Blue Buffalo and the Castor & Pollux Organix foods, but I don't think the ingredients are as great as the price tag (they are better than the Science Diet variety of foods though). So I say either stick with the Natural Balance or, if you want to pay more, try the Wellness. Whatever dry you end up feeding, try to feed some wet food too. Wet food is very important for cats. They aren't naturally big water drinkers and when all they eat is dry food, they are constantly dehydrated. This leads to kidney problems and other health issues later on down the road. We feed dry food even though I know better, but I have a water fountain for the cats and they each get 3 oz of wet food at night too. You really don't have to be as picky with the ingredients in wet food because ANY wet food (even junky foods like 9 Lives, Friskies, etc.) is better than feeding no wet food at all.
  • Leena KejuLeena Keju FortSmithMember Posts: 24
    edited 25 January, 2009
    wow do you not have a walmart in you're area? Thats where my meowmi gets my food. Try IAMS ALL-NATURAL
    edited 25 January, 2009
    I live right next door to WalMart but I disagree with a lot of their practices so I refuse to shop there. I go clear out of my way to shop. :)) I think we're going to stick with the natural balance ultra. They love it and they don't eat nearly as mcuh. Princess has gotten tubby on it but she's elderly so I'm not going to fuss o over it.
  • Nancy KarlovNancy Karlov Member Posts: 44
    edited 3 February, 2009
    Walmart used to sell a very good, better than 99% of all dry foods out there. It was called Maximum Kitten, but it is good for cats of all ages. That is if you can really call dry food good, it's all we can do along with some canned and some real food, vitamins, and a few additives mixed in. However the dry food can't be found anymore as they sold to another company who has not begun making it yet. You want a food that doesnt' have all those veggies, flax, onion, garlic, potatoes, etc in it. That is not good for cats. They need a high animal not vegetable protien food without all the stuff that's good for people but not cats. Mix some canned pumpkin in the wet food, along with digestive enzymes, rice bran from the health food store and a good vitamin supplement. Occasional salmon oil, or fish body oil is great too but be sure to add vit E with it. Boy this is a lot of babbeling hope it makes some sense. I'm sure many won't agree, but this is what I do. I have been using Wellness wet, but have written them several times asking why they put all that bad junk veggies in it. They have no answer. I like it for the grain free reason, but they don't make very many decent foods. The new core sounds pretty good, but it's very expensive when you have numerous cats. I don't use Wellness dry, bad ingredients.:^:
  • Annkatrin RoseAnnkatrin Rose BooneMember Posts: 88
    edited 5 February, 2009
    The veggies in Wellness are not junk, but used instead of artificial additives to add fibers, minerals, vitamins and anti-oxidants (preservatives) to the food. They\'re supplements, not fillers like the grains in other foods. For example, our latest can of Wellness was the Turkey & Salmon grain-free formula. It has: - carrots: contain the anti-oxidant beta-carotene that helps us fight pollutants, cancer and allergies - sweet potatoes, squash, zucchini: another source for beta-carotene, but also fiber (aids digestion), minerals and vitamins - cranberries and blueberries: contain anti-oxidants and minerals and promote urinary tract health - ground flax seed: add fiber to aid digestion and contain omega-3 fatty acids that make our coats shine and help boost our immune system
  • Nancy KarlovNancy Karlov Member Posts: 44
    edited 6 February, 2009
    Sorry but that is totally WRONG. I hate to see that posted and have anyone think it\'s true. Your description of what the veggies do is fine if cats were people, but they aren\'t. What is good for people isn\'t necessarily good for cats. I know the food companies want people to think that, but it is only hurting the cats and making the food company rich. Cat food should have zero fruit and vegetable. What\'s in most food is MUCH worse than \"fillers\" such as rice and corn - it\'s toxic alfalfa, plus fruit and vegetables that destroy cat kidney tissue and pH and promote UTI and struvite crytal formation. On http://petfoodpitfalls.blogspot.com/ there are scientific links to the fact that cats don\'t manufacture D6D that is used to digest plant based oils if you are interested in looking at the sources. It might make it easier to understand why these ingredients are useless for cats when you are reading labelling. KNOWN TOXINS TO CATS * Yucca schidigera and all Yucca species. * Alfalfa - any form especially raw. * Ethoxyquin * BHA * BHT * Garlic * Onion * Carrageenan * Propyl gallate apples, cranberries, alfalfa sprouts, tomatoes, carrots, peas and chicory root. . Potatoes are very questionable, best to avoid them INGREDIENTS NUTRITIONALLY POOR OR DETRIMENTAL OVER TIME * Flax seed and flax seed oil and other seed oils * All \"by-products\" (also called \"derivatives\" in some countries) * \"Tallow\" or \"beef tallow\" as a fat source * Rosemary extract, marigold extract and the like * Herbal ingredients in general (unless specifically researched as positive for cats) NONNUTRITIVE OR IRRITATING INGREDIENTS * Non-fermentable fiber such as cellulose, psyllium gum, wheat bran, xanthan gum, gum karaya, oat fiber, peanut hulls, soy hulls, citrus pulp, lactulose * Wheat products DESIRABLE INGREDIENTS AND CHARACTERISTICS * High percentage of specific animal proteins (not \"meat\" without specifying source) from prey size animals (chicken, fish, eggs rather than beef, lamb, etc for cats.) * Animal protein as the first listed ingredient * Minimum 0.1% percentage of magnesium (in dry food that has 10% moisture)--as magnesium chloride, not magnesium oxide * Calcium pantothenate higher on the list than pyridoxine hydrochloride * Fish oil (or less ideal, fish liver oil) * Fermentable fiber such as beet fiber or rice bran. (Second choice options: carob bean gum, locust bean gum, citrus pectin (but not citrus pulp), sugar cane residue) * Lack of any toxic items listed * Preservation with Vit E and/or Vit C only (not yucca or rosemary extract or toxins) * Minimum 34% protein (in dry food with 10% moisture) * For kidney compromised cats, *high* protein of high animal quality, but low calories, is needed - currently no commercial food is designed this way. * Cats need some carotene and plain cooked pumpkin is the best source known currently. * A source of intestinal bacteria including bifidus is desirable.