Wow, better quality does make a difference

2»

Comments

• Melanie LynnMelanie Lynn CaliforniaMember Posts: 48
    edited 6 February, 2009
    Hi :-h I have been wanting to switch Phineas' food but have been having issues convincing my hubby. He thinks it's only worth it to spend the big bucks on our dog food, feeding them very high quality food, but that it's ridiculous for a cat. Grr. :? My husband is a logical person, so I think if I throw some stats at him, he'll change his mind. I'm still researching and learning, so I'm loving this thread. I work for my dad, a vet, but we don't "push" ANY certain food, so that post about vets in it for the money is NOT true, atleast for us. We offer Science Diet puppy and kitty packs (they come free as samples for clients), but I am very knowledgeable about dog food and know it's not something that's the best for pups, so I assume the same for kittens. I have 4 outdoor cats but they eat everywhere, I'm not switching their food. I do, however, really want Phineas on something good. He currently eats Purina Complete, only poops once a day and is happy and healthy. Shiny coat, playful, happy kitty. He is strictly indoors. What are all of your thoughts? :-k
  • Tara WTara W St. PaulMember Posts: 939
    edited 6 February, 2009
    Thank you, Snowball. I was about to post something similar. I hope that people can appreciate that a cat is indeed not a little human. They are 100% carnivores. A very basic study of the anatomy and biology of felines is all that's needed to prove this point. They do not derive the same benefits from plant material as omnivores do. And in fact it is or can be harmful. And here is the key phrase: "Over a period of time". No your cat won't drop dead on the spot from eating fruits and veggies in his food, but it simply isn't what he is designed to consume and is therefore detrimental to his health. Pet food companies are preying on your ignorance. The only way to get them to change their ways and start producing appropriate food is with our pocketbooks. Pet food companies that continue to produce unhealthy foods will never see another dime from me. Period.
  • Tina BTina B Vancouver IslandMember Posts: 2,238
    edited 7 February, 2009
    I second that Khina, these pet food companies really know how to pull the wool over our eyes.
  • Nancy KarlovNancy Karlov Member Posts: 44
    edited 7 February, 2009
    Khina you make a very good and often overlooked point. A person feeds an inappropriate food and says my cat looks great now. Yes, maybe right now, but the inappropriate ingredients are destroying his internal organs and his beneficial gut bacteria and much more. That's why so many young cats are getting ill at much too early an age. It catches up with them over time, and it doesn't take that long. A good feline probiotic is very good to give your cats. Make sure it is not a dog one, but a cat appropriate one.
  • Jessica CobbJessica Cobb Gastonia/CharlotteMember Posts: 91
    edited 7 February, 2009
    Snowball, I checked out that link you posted and all of the "scientific studies" that I clicked on had absolutely nothing to do with felines. I saw the blogger rant about how vegetables will kill your cat, but the sources were for humans or something other than felines because it never mentioned cat or feline anywhere. I didn't read every single source, but I clicked on over half of them. Look, I think it's great you guys are so passionate about the raw diet and that you feel like it is the only option. The bottom line is that it's not. It's going to take way more than some random blog to convince me that tiny amounts of vegetables will kill my cat in a few years. Cats do ingest small amounts of vegetables/stomach contents in the wild. I have ferals outside that kill rodents constantly and they don't eat everything, and just leave the stomach like all of you say. They typically eat the entire inside of the animal and most of the carcass. I'm not quite sure where you get your facts. I've been very interested in learning about the raw diet, but I only find poorly made websites with opinions on how cats are carnivores so they must eat raw meat. Yes, I do believe the vast majority of their meals should be meat, but none of you will ever convince me that my cats wouldn't get toxoplasmosis, e-coli, or salmonella. It has happened before, and it WILL happen again. Not to everyone, but it does happen. I worked at a vet for years as a tech assistant and saw more than a few animals come in who had some type of infection, disease, or parasite from being fed a raw diet. And these were people who knew what they were doing, they weren't raw feeder who just tossed some raw chicken on the floor. Yes, cats are designed to eat raw meat but I won't feed my cats something that could possibly be infecting them with parasites. I go to a vet that is very raw friendly, but she even warned be as great as the diet is there is ALWAYS a big risk of infection, disease, and parasites. It's a fact. You're saying that feeding a cat a canned food diet with a small amount of vegetables makes them look and feel better now, but down the road it will cause major issues. Well, I can say the exact same thing for you raw feeders. Sure your cats teeth look great now, and their coats are shiney, and they're thin and have smaller stools, but what happens when they get a piece of meat with parasites that leach onto their insides and suck up all of their nutrients. You won't notice the signs until it's too late. Like I said, the raw diet makes since to me in theory, but I won't take that kind of risk with my kitties. And I think it's time that we all start understanding that not everyone wants to feed a raw diet. There's a reason why there is a raw forum, and a sepearte food & nutrition forum.
  • Jennifer SzucsJennifer Szucs ChathamMember Posts: 3,765
    edited 7 February, 2009
    Yes I agree Aglaia that raw feeding is not for everyone and if you dont feel comfortable with feeding your pet that way then by all means dont. Feeding raw scares me to. I even got so far as to read up about it and I just cant go the extra distance to feed it. Id never live with myself if something I fed my kitty ended up killing them and I dont know it just scare me. But hey I give a thumbs up=; to people that actually go the extra mile and feed it. I think its the most natural way to feed. Im just a chicken and I think I always will be.
2»