Dear Catster reader,

Almost two years ago, we invested numerous resources and rebuilt the Catster community. With new hardware, software and personnel, we did our best to satisfy the many users who shared their thoughts, pictures, questions, and love for and of their pets with us and friends. It was a thriving community with many users. We hoped, however, there would be more like you.

Times and habits have changed and we are sad to announce that the Catster community will be closing down on July 20, 2019.

Catster magazine, www.catster.com and the associated social media sites are NOT shutting down. We encourage you to continue reading the content found in the pages of the magazine and the web sites, commenting through the mechanisms provided and sharing your ideas and comments with us and your fellow readers.

Instructions for accessing pet profiles were shared with everyone in 2017. The instructions can be found elsewhere within the forum. AFTER JULY 20TH, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ACCESS THIS CONTENT. And, effective immediately, we are no longer able to answer questions about the community.

Thank you for your support and we look forward to serving you through our magazine and website.

Cheers,
Catster

Best food carried in a grocery store?

Laurén McNultyLaurén McNulty Dix HillsMember Posts: 3
edited 7 December, 2008 in Food & Nutrition
A friend of mine is a fellow animal lover and works in the pet industry. She swears by certain brands to feed kitties, however most of them are expensive and only sold in pet stores. Are there any good foods that can be bought in a grocery store? She claims the ones carried in the grocery store are bad and a holistic foods are the way to go. Any input? I want the best for my baby, however if there is something that is just as good and not as expensive, I wouldn't mind that!

Comments

• Beastie_and_the_BoysBeastie_and_the_Boys Marquette, MI / ChicagoMember Posts: 17,807 ✭✭✭
    edited 29 November, 2008
    Our local Kroger store carries Brandon Farms Organics, which seems to have pretty good ingredients. We've gotten the canned occasionally. I don't know if it's really less expensive than a lot of the foods sold in specialty stores, though!:-O I do agree, though, that you can't necessarily judge a food by the store it's sold in. There are some "premium" brands sold in pet supply shops that aren't really any better than the cheaper brands you can buy at Wal-Mart. You just have to read the ingredients and compare them that way.
  • Tina BTina B Vancouver IslandMember Posts: 2,238
    edited 29 November, 2008
    Go to this site called catinfo.org read it all, it also will tell you which brands are the better of "cat foods" if this is what you have to feed. Some brands that claim to be holistic or organic that are high priced can be crapola food too.
  • edited 30 November, 2008
    Do you feed canned food or dry food? I would say the best dry food brand that can be found in grocery stores would be Iams. Although it is still a pretty bad food to feed, I would say it's your best bet out of all the grocery store brands. The best canned food would probably be Fancy Feast canned food, as it uses meat based protein sources- and most cats love it! And as a previous poster said, you cannot judge a cat food by the store it is sold in, for example, Science Diet, a world-wide known food to be recommended by veterinarians, is sold in petstores. Although when you look at the ingredients- you realize that they are just the same ingredients as the cheaper, Cat Chow and Goodlife Recipe and such. Science Diet: Chicken By-Product Meal, Ground Whole Grain Corn, Brewers Rice, Animal Fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols and citric acid), Corn Gluten Meal, Chicken Liver Flavor, Potassium Chloride, Calcium Sulfate, Choline Chloride, vitamins (L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate (source of vitamin C), Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin, Thiamine Mononitrate, Vitamin A Supplement, Calcium Pantothenate, Riboflavin, Biotin, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Folic Acid, Vitamin D3 Supplement), Iodized Salt, Vitamin E Supplement, Taurine, minerals (Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Oxide, Copper Sulfate, Manganous Oxide, Calcium Iodate, Sodium Selenite), preserved with Mixed Tocopherols and Citric Acid, Beta-Carotene, Rosemary Extract. Cat Chow: Poultry by-product meal, ground yellow corn, wheat flour, corn gluten meal, soybean meal, brewers rice, beef tallow preserved with mixed-tocopherols (source of vitamin E), fish meal, brewers dried yeast, animal digest, phosphoric acid, potassium chloride, calcium carbonate, tetra sodium pyrophosphate, calcium chloride, choline chloride, dicalcium phosphate, salt, taurine, zinc oxide, ferrous sulfate, vitamin supplements (E, A, B-12, D-3), L-Alanine, riboflavin supplement, niacin, calcium pantothenate, manganese sulfate, biotin, thiamine mononitrate, folic acid, pyridoxine hydrochloride, copper sulfate, citric acid, menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of vitamin K activity), calcium iodate. See? The ingredients are almost the exact same. Here are some better ingredients in the cat food brand, Wellness, these are what cat food ingredients SHOULD look like: Deboned Chicken, Chicken Meal, Rice, Ground Barley, Ground Rice, Chicken Fat(preserved with mixed Tocopherols, a natural source of Vitamin E), Natural Chicken Flavor, Salmon Meal, Chicken Liver, Cranberries, Tomato Pomace, Olive Oil, Chicory Root Extract, Cranberry Extract Powder, Cranberry Fiber, Flaxseed, Potassium Chloride, Vitamins (Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin, Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C), Thiamine Mononitrate, Calcium Pantothenate, Riboflavin, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Beta-Carotene, Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin D-3 Supplement, Folic Acid, Biotin, Vitamin B-12 Supplement), Choline Chloride, Minerals (Zinc Proteinate, Zinc Sulfate, Iron Proteinate, Ferrous Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Copper Proteinate, Manganese Proteinate, Manganese Sulfate, Calcium Iodate, Sodium Selenite), Yucca Schidigera Extract, Dried Kelp, Chondroitin Sulfate, Glucosamine, Hydrochloride, Lactobacillus Plantarum, Enterococcus Faecium, Lactobacillus Casei, Lactobacillus Acidophilus, Taurine, Rosemary Extract See the huge difference in quality? I am also in a tight financial situation right now, and I am currently purchasing Royal Canin cat food, which is in my opinion, a decent cat food for the price you pay. You can find it in pet stores and it isn't that expensive. Natasha LOVES her Royal Canin and it is cleaning the plaque off her teeth like nothing else I have seen. I hope to keep having more good results with this food. I hope my post helps, let us know what you choose to feed your kitty!
  • Stephanie JohnsonStephanie Johnson Member Posts: 556
    edited 30 November, 2008
    There is a post below called \"Good medium priced cat food?\" that has some good suggestions in it, although I think they\'re all pet-store food. Do you have a Petco or PetSmart in your area? There are some good foods in the mid-range price at pet stores. Something else to keep in mind is that your cat will eat less of the higher quality food than the cheap stuff, so your dollar stretches further. Shadow always has good advice on this topic, so definitely check out that link! =;
  • Stephanie ChangtuStephanie Changtu MiamiMember Posts: 1,175
    edited 30 November, 2008
    Grocery store food isn't cheaper than quailty food when you look at it correctly. Blue Buffalo Wilderness has 587 calories per cup (4 % fiber) Purina ONE special formula for adult cats has 452 calories per cup (2 % fiber) At Petsmrt these are the prices of these foods. Purina ONE 3.5 pound bag $8.59 BB Wilderness 2.5 pound bag $9.99 A ten pound cat would eat 1/3 cup of BB Wilderness, and 1/2 a cup Purina ONE. So with quailty food they eat much less because it has more fiber, protein, and calories. That makes bad kibble cost more because you buy more of it, than you would with quaility food. Plus, bad kibble most likely makes your cat sick, and you would have to pay alot of vet bills.
    edited 30 November, 2008
    Here is the only food I can recommend for people that can only afford grocery store brands, please note it is only certain flavours. they are cheaper than Wellness or Evo, but they are only the canned foods. I cant really recommend dry food, based on the time I have spent educating myself on feline nutrition, and how dry food affects our carnivores. Whiskas Savory Ground pate - Chicken dinner, Mealtime, Bits 0 beef, Turkey and Giblets,( not Whiskas in gravy) The savory ground is vegetable and grain free. 9 Lives - Chicken dinner, Chicken and Tuna dinner, Turkey dinner, Chicken & Seafood dinner, Liver &Bacon Dinner, Prime grill with Beef. Friskies- Supreme Supper, mixed grill, Country style dinner, Poultry platter, Turkey and Giblets dinner. Pro Plan- Adult Chicken& liver entree, adult Turkey & Giblets entree. Fancy Feast Gourmet Feast - Gourmet Chicken feast, Gourmet Turkey &giblets feast, Tender Beef feast, Tender beef & Liver feast, Savory Salmon feast, Tender Chicken & liver feast, Beef & Chicken feast, Chopped Grill Feast.
  • Nicole MartinNicole Martin CranfordMember Posts: 185
    edited 1 December, 2008
    There are plenty of grocery stores that sell good quality brands. Do you have any Whole Foods, Wegman's or Trader Joe's? Still read ingredient labels but all of them carry good quality foods. Also, what is wrong with supporting a local pet store if you have one? Grocery stores are not always cheaper. The staff at pet stores are usually pretty knowledgeable too. No one at Shop Rite can help you if you have problems with your cat or the food.
  • Benji ThompsonBenji Thompson Member Posts: 7,380
    edited 2 December, 2008
    "Whiskas Savory Ground pate - Chicken dinner, Mealtime, Bits 0 beef, Turkey and Giblets,( not Whiskas in gravy) The savory ground is vegetable and grain free. 9 Lives - Chicken dinner, Chicken and Tuna dinner, Turkey dinner, Chicken & Seafood dinner, Liver &Bacon Dinner, Prime grill with Beef." I feel less crappy feeding those foods when I can't get to something better now. (though, I try to avoid feeding them at all costs) Anyway... I can't recommend too many dry foods. Because, lets face it, most grocery dry food is bad quality and doesn't have nearly enough protein for cats. But, if I had to pick the best from the worst; I'd say Iams or Newmans Own. Both can be found at Wal Mart and are decently priced. But, when I can't buy dry from a pet supply store or something such as; I usually get a bunch of cans. Canned food is better for cats because it's packed with protein. And, a lot of cats seem to like it, too. So, it certainly isn't a waste of money. :))
  • Head Scratch -Head Scratch - CheshireMember Posts: 44
    edited 4 December, 2008
    Sorry,this isn\'t much use if don\'t have a Sainsburys supermarket in the area,but they do a great natural range called \'Encore\',the chickens in the chicken versions are free range and corn fed-and they look and smell good enough for a human to eat. Can get them in box sets [fishy or chicken versions] or the tins on their own. The girls at home used to love their Applaws a lot more than their other brands when they were brought back any from pets at home [petsmart in us] so they thought a years worth of din dins had come early when they found out sainsburys started stock it under a different name,makes it a lot more accessible to everyone having them in supermarkets.
  • Janet PlymireJanet Plymire IllinoisMember Posts: 344
    edited 6 December, 2008
    Shadow I didn\'t know that about Whiskas Savory Ground pate - Chicken dinner, Mealtime, Bits 0 beef, Turkey and Giblets being veggie and grain free. I tried looking at the Whiskas website for ingredient info, but couldn\'t find any information at all about the Savory Ground foods? Have those been discontinued? Where did you find this info? I would like to see what the ingredients are because I\'m always looking for a good quality lower priced food for the garage cats. Thanks for your help ;)
    edited 7 December, 2008
    Bandit I got this out of the Book called "The cat bible by Tracie Hotchner.=; Great book!
  • Charlotte RameyCharlotte Ramey Member Posts: 578
    edited 7 December, 2008
    Sobey's, a Canadian grocery chain, carries Holistic Blend which is decent. It's pricier though: 13.99 for 3lbs. Low ash chicken meal, ground brown rice, chicken fat (preserved with rosemary extract) hulless barley, chicken meat, soy protein, millet, salmon meal, flax seed, dried whole egg, phosphoric acid, amaranth, alfalfa, cranberries, apples, garlic powder, cinnamon powder, rosemary, potassium chloride, nutritional yeast, choline chloride, L-lysine, potassium sorbate, dicalcium phosphate, yucca shidigera, vitamin A acetate, vitamin D3, vitamin E, ferrous sulphate, taurine, zinc oxide, zinc proteinate, niacin, copper proteinate, manganese oxide, manganese proteinate, calcium pantothenate, pyridoxine hydrochloride, vitamin B12, calcium iodate, folic acid.
  • Courtney MoreCourtney More Member Posts: 1
    edited 7 December, 2008
    My mommy gets me Purina One, from Zellers!