introducing new cat...has this ever NOT worked for anyone?

Jessica BlumenthalJessica Blumenthal Member Posts: 56
edited 21 December, 2008 in Behavior & Training
hi- i've posted before about introducing my foster (5 mos old boy, travis, to be fixed next week) and resident cat, pie- (3 years, adopted her 9 mos ago). i've been keeping travis in a separate room for two weeks and bringing items back and forth to exchange scents. all pie does is hiss under the door, which i know is totally natural. i've been doing exactly as everyone has suggested and i know it's supposed to take time. last night i held travis and bent down to pie. her pupils were enlarged and i was really scared that she might attack us. i thought i could buy the safety gate and that might be better, but i'm really scared to put travis down in front of pie- he will be terrified and i just don't want any fighting... has anyone been through this that has any other advice? thanks!

Comments

• Kat WhickerKat Whicker ToledoMember Posts: 1,695
    edited 10 December, 2008
    rightly so, these take time. Holding the cats to eatchother dosnt help and you could get scratched. try holding the door open a crack for them to sniff. I hate to tell you, theres no way around it. there will be hissing, spitting and growling. this is what cats do. there might even be a fight. you need to get a squirt bottle if there is a fight. Its good to switch rooms with the cats. like for mine i put the old cats in the bedroom, and let the new cat use the rest of the house. Then i switch. after a bit i let the new cat out and watch them very closely. Mostly there a lot of grumbling but no fight. i watch them for a bout 5 minutes, depending on how it goes maybe less( are they harassing the cat, are they fighting, ect) I let them be together for short time periods and switch there rooms. this is what works for me. i have 4 resident cats and lots of fosters are in and out. Sometimes they like certin fosters better then others. the key is to watch there body language and to not be tense or worried. only interveen if they are fighting for real, meaning accully rolling around biting and scratching. you can try letting them work things out on there own but only for short periods of time and work your way up. Hopefully soon they will be able to co exists. also make sure they eatch have there own litter, water dish, food, ect good luck!
  • janice lancasterjanice lancaster temple gaMember Posts: 2,505
    edited 10 December, 2008
    It takes lots of patience--Meowma actually tied a shoe string to a hook and eye so the door could be opened just an inch or so when we would talk under the door, but Rocky would totally flip when he actually saw me. We upgraded to a big playpen with a top, that I could stay on so he could examine me; it was still several months before we could be let out together, and Meowma had to leave me in a room by myself when she was not home for nearly eight months before it got good enough to leave me out. It was an extra bad case, but still, resist the urge to rush your kitties, as you will only make it worse. You might try giving them some treats several feet apart, (however far apart it takes for them to be comfortable) under strict supervision, nd gradually move closer, but I agree, never pick up one kitty and try to move close to the other, or try to force it in any way.
  • Lisa DausmanLisa Dausman Member Posts: 5,216
    edited 12 December, 2008
    The prob is Travis is a whole male, not neutered yet. Things start to happen at 5-6 months old, and Pie knows he is a whole male, and being a female, she is acting appropiately. Things should calm down, once he is neutered. But it does take a couple of weeks, before a male cat, will not act whole. Until Travis is neutered, and a couple of weeks after, just keep them seperated, and the others are right, do not try to hold either cat, when introducing them to each other, as you could be injured, or the cat gets loose in the house. I have a very large dog crate, not like a carrier, but more like a cage, that has bars all around it. I put the new cat in the cage, with food, water, cat box, blanket and toys. That way, they can see each other, sniff each other, but no one is going to get hurt. There will be hissing, growling, and swatting at each other, that is normal. It takes about 10-14 days, but they do become used to each other. I have never had a prob, ever, with this not working. I do the show kittens totally different, but I am talking 8 week old kittens. Hope this helps. :):):):D:D:D:D
  • Allison Tuthill GaulAllison Tuthill Gaul Virginia Beach, VAMember Posts: 168
    edited 21 December, 2008
    I must have the easiest cats in the world. I brought Kali home in her carrier and Tiger was waiting so they were immediately face to face. Tiger wouldn't share food or water at first, so Kali got her own bowls in the bedroom, but Tiger got over it almost instantly. Kali was snuggling on Tiger and kissing her after 2-3 days and within a few after that, Tiger was grooming Kali. It may be because Tiger was old enough (we didn't know this, b/c she was so small and malnourished/dehydrated) when we got her to be spayed and Kali was a kitten. We purposefully got a smaller, younger cat so Tiger wouldn't feel as threatened. We thought about keeping them separated, but Tiger is so vocal and needy that we couldn't really keep Kali in a room by herself. They still have dominance battles and once in a blue moon, Tiger will really hold her down, but that's usually bc Kali has been super pushy. They've shared their little box since day one, shared our bed since day one, although sometimes Kali won't sleep in the bed if Tiger is there first (Tiger thinks she owns us and I guess she does, she adopted US). Our cats are the perfect size, shiny, well behaved. They both came litter box trained. They don't shed much nor do they wreck anything. They don't pee or poop inappropriately. Did I just get luckY? Anyhow, you may just have to let the two kitties do the trial by fire thing. Since the new one is smaller and younger, it may go easier that way. Just as long as you supervise them and break them up if they get too rough. And keep food for the newbie somewhere away from the older sibling. Good luck. It's a relief to me to know that Tiger has someone to love and play with, to romp around, and chase or be chased by when we're at work. She was SUPER needy and didn't act like a cat when we first got her. She acted like a 2 year old child with separation anxiety. Allison