Help!: Mancat with PMS?

Amy CroweAmy Crowe Member Posts: 278
edited 17 December, 2008 in Behavior & Training
My brofur is the alpha male of the house, and normally the pecking order is fine and there are no squabbles, but sometimes he is just flat out b*tchy (excuse my language) and picks on us. My moms half-joke that he has PMS when he gets in these moods. I know about the book for multi-cat households, but I was wondering if anyone had suggestions on something we could give my brofur when he gets in one of his mood. It is like he needs something to mellow him out. Thanks to his recent ingestion of part of a shopping bag, he had many tests at the vet and we know there is nothing physically wrong with my brofur. So that has been ruled out. Thank you all for your help! ;c;;c;;c;;c;

Comments

• Amy CroweAmy Crowe Member Posts: 278
    edited 11 December, 2008
    I should add that we are all fixed, so that is not an issue either.
  • Toby_AragornToby_Aragorn Garden GroveMember Posts: 43,438 ✭✭✭
    edited 11 December, 2008
    So sorry to hear about your brofur Minnie. There is 5 of us and my one sisfur, Lilly-Rose (10-1/2) is on permanent PMS! (So says meowmy.) As I am the newest and youngest, she takes out her b*thiness on me, usually when I'm just minding my own business. Meowmy squirts her with the squirt bottle and makes her go upstairs for a while, but then she does it again. Meowmy says she has always been this way and there really aren't any fights. But you could try Feliway. Lilly-Rose also does the same with the other kitties, but we've all learned to get out of her way. The other night, she wanted in meowmy's lap so much that she left me alone (I was already snuggled up with meowmy). Meowmy says some cats are just naturally that way, it's their personality and as long as there aren't any real fights, everyone will learn their places.
  • Diane WallineDiane Walline Hamlin (suburb of Rochester)Member Posts: 500
    edited 16 December, 2008
    Harley gets like this sometimes. He will be somewhat mean and standoffish one minute then the next he will whine for someone to hold and cuddle with him. When he is in a mood like this he will follow our humans around and wants to lay in bed under the covers with them or lay in their lap and then after a while he will usually kinda smack his paw on our humans leg or face and get up all cranky again untill someone consoles him. It seems to happen about once a month and last a few days so mommy used to call it Male Kitty PMS lol:))
  • Stephanie DejanStephanie Dejan Des PlainesMember Posts: 4,239
    edited 17 December, 2008
    Are you sure it's mean aggression, or just play aggression? I love to pick on everybody - big-time alpha here, see me roar! Mom tries to spend extra time playing with us to try to calm us all down. We really need the exercise.