does this sound like separation issues?

Sam GreenSam Green Flour BluffMember Posts: 1
edited 11 December, 2008 in Behavior & Training
my mom and I live together with 5 cats. she decided to go visit family for a week and while she was gone I was to take care of them. 2 of the cats get special food in the morning and evening. while they are eating the other 3 get a treat. the same routine was followed except a friend of mine came to the house and stayed at night. I slept in my room and she slept in my moms. she did not sleep on my moms side of the bed. my mom came home yesterday and Charles has been the only one who is having trouble. he wouldnt come out for his treat in the morning. all day today he spent in my moms closet. he is normally a very vocal cat when you call his name, but now he will only make little meows. when someone walks into the closet he looks around then watches the door, like hes waiting for someone else to come in. I finally coaxed him to me and I gave him a tour of the house to show him no one else was there but the entire time he was reaching his head out trying to see around the corners. he is now in my room under my bed and wont come out. any ideas? could the friend have spooked him? she did not mention him or any of the other cats giving her any problems and he is usually a pretty quite cat unless he wants food.

Comments

• Annalisa Conserti-JonesAnnalisa Conserti-Jones Member Posts: 5,234
    edited 11 December, 2008
    A lot of time, if the behavior is sudden and unexplained, that points to the kitty being sick. That's especially true of a cat who acts "off" when it comes to food. For him to refuse treats, it says that he might not be feeling well. I would take him to a vet just to make sure he's doing ok.