Tail Chasing

Samantha PutnamSamantha Putnam Coos BayMember Posts: 1
edited 13 December, 2008 in Behavior & Training
My cat is driving me crazy chasing her tail. She will sit up against a wall or something similar, sit on her tail then raise the front portion of her body in the air, wiggle her tail then pounce down on it like she is catching a mouse. Is she losing her mind or just desperate to get back into the wild? (She has been an indoor cat since we adopted her, she was found wild before that.)

Comments

• Jillian Van WeeldenJillian Van Weelden BeamsvilleMember Posts: 40
    edited 12 December, 2008
    I love my tail! I don't need any toys as long as I have my tail :)
  • Tara WTara W St. PaulMember Posts: 939
    edited 12 December, 2008
    I sometimes chase my tail too. My people think it's cute, so I do it to make them happy. As long as it's not obsessive or she's pulling fur out or anything I think it's fine.
  • Thea PowellThea Powell Member Posts: 852
    edited 12 December, 2008
    Princess Lilianna, I had a kitty do this to the point of shredding. Do you do this?? I was recently talking with the vet who treated him all those years ago (long story). Anyway she was telling me that the latest reasearch done is that the cat is feeling "Pain" or like pins & needles in thier tail and this is the way they deal with is. I would of course discuss this with my vet first but if you are attacking your tail to the point of ripping it appart. Do not go the antianxiety route (they used to think it was a stress condition) but the pain killer route. As it is most probably you trying to get those darn pins and needles to stop. Any way this is just the insite I have. If thought it's not excessive I wouldn't worry too much we all sleep on differnt parts of our bodies and put them to sleep and get those pins & needles. I personally do it to my leg and then I start this shaking thing. :-h
  • edited 13 December, 2008
    I loved to chase my tail. My humans thought it was an adorable habit, and now the new female cat in the house does the same thing.
  • Gina GroneGina Grone Beatrice, NebraskaMember Posts: 217
    edited 13 December, 2008
    I used to chase my tail all the time when I was a kitten, and I still do sometimes when I'm feeling really playful. I'd go round and round in circles for a long, long time! Mom thinks it's hysterical when I do it now, cause I'm such a big boy. Mom thinks it's normal, and just a matter of kitty having some fun. :D