Has anyone else tried this?

Laura ToddLaura Todd Rocky MountMember Posts: 116
edited 16 December, 2008 in Behavior & Training
I have been trying to train Christmas and Kit-Kat to jump up on chairs when I say "up." They both seemed to enjoy it and I'm hoping that it will help Kit-Kat to get more exercise and get some mental stimulation for both cats. I used small treats and tapped on the surface to get them to jump. Has anyone else tried something like this?

Comments

• Tara WTara W St. PaulMember Posts: 939
    edited 13 December, 2008
    Of course! Most people think that cats aren't trainable, but that's not at all true. Cats don't have the desire to please humans like dogs do, so we have to learn to speak cat language. The easiest way to train a cat is to make them think it's their idea to perform the behavior. The next best way is to show that doing the behavior has some benefit to them (i.e. treat). Both of my cats can sit, stay, hunt, fetch and walk on leashes. They also know the "up" command. I also have a "come here and kill this bug" sound that Khina responds to. It's a mimic of her chatter. She comes running when I make the noise and eats whatever bug I point to. Very handy! I generally don't use treats and really haven't spent very much time on training, but Khina catches on quickly and Gordie learns a lot from watching her. Good for you for wanting to spend time keeping your kitties mentally and physically stimulated! A kitty who is tired and never bored doesn't have the energy to be naughty!
  • Laura ToddLaura Todd Rocky MountMember Posts: 116
    edited 14 December, 2008
    Thanks for the response! Christmas does walk on a leash. I originally trained him to walk on a leash because I want him to be a therapy cat once he gets old enough. He still has to get past the clawing kitten stage though.:)
  • Joy WaltersJoy Walters Member Posts: 9,276
    edited 15 December, 2008
    Khina, my \'come here and kill this bug\' signal is usually a very loud \"IZZZZZZEEEEEEE!\" I am soooo lucky to have a cat who kills bugs! =; Usually, we get requests for help from people who want their cats OFF the furniture, counters, etc. This one is interesting! I\'ve never met a cat who had to be trained to jump up on anything. Right now, Lily Rose is asleep on top of my entertainment center amidst the snowmen and fake Christmas tree that she\'s rearranged to suit herself. Kudoes to you for keeping your cat\'s brains active by training them to do all that neat stuff!
  • Laura ToddLaura Todd Rocky MountMember Posts: 116
    edited 15 December, 2008
    :)) Christmas likes to catch flies on his own, but how did you train your kitties to do that?
    edited 16 December, 2008
    Well, I never really \"trained\" Izzie to do that. One day last summer when I let the dogs out, I felt something on my foot. When I looked down, there was a rather large spider on the top of the foot. Before I could even react, Izzie pounced on it, chased it under the mat, went after it and killed it! (Then he played with it and eventually, I think, ate it.) :-/ I never go down in the basement without taking him and the other 2 cats with me. Our house isn\'t infested with bugs, but one is too many for me! A cat who likes to kill indoor bugs is a gift from God to me. My son, who has Cole, says Cole could care less about killing critters in his house and once watched a spider crawl across Dave\'s feet on the blanket and went back to sleep. I guess it depends on the cat. As far as getting up on the entertainment center, Lily Rose and Izzie learned how to do that themselves. I think when you have one cat who does something, the other one follows along, whether it\'s good or \"trouble\".
  • Carol MartzinekCarol Martzinek New YorkMember Posts: 4
    edited 16 December, 2008
    Oh, I SO need a "Come here and kill this bug!" sound! It's been just over 2 weeks since I adopted Tigger & Gateway, but I've been working on clicker training them with mixed results. Gateway's 14 months old and totally "gets it". I've taught him how to "high-five" me for treats. Tigger is only 6 months old, so his attention span is a bit shorter, but, he DOES realize that "clicker sound=FOOD". This is good, because whenever I need to get them both to come wherever I am, I just click the clicker and they come running.
    edited 16 December, 2008
    It sounds like you are making good progress with both of them. Remember they are young and their attention spans are like those of preschool children. Food is a good reward and I know the professionals use it as do show dog people. I think it\'s great that you\'re training your kitties. So many people write and say their cats are tearing up their houses, biting them in the middle of the night, acting bored, etc. They think that getting another cat is the solution, and it does work somewhat, but playing with your kitty is very rewarding and a lot of fun as well. And, the LOVE you for it. My \"come here and kill this bug\" signal kind of just morphed out of that time when the spider was on the top of my foot (actually it would have made a very cool tatoo ;) ) I do believe that Izzie and Isaw it at the same time. He earned his Purina One for the rest of his life that night!!!