Thrown out of the groomer\\\'s

Laura FingerLaura Finger AustinMember Posts: 65
edited 15 December, 2008 in Behavior & Training
Oh, I am so embarassed! My cat, Beverly, is obese, and she\'s gotten mats around her hindquarters. So I wanted to take her to professional groomer to get the mats cut and get a good bath since it\'s no go on letting me wash her at home. At the groomer\'s she hissed and fought so much that they put her in her carrier and called me to pick her up. They suggested that I take her to a vet so that they could give her something to calm down first and them give her a good grooming. We\'re both so frustrated and miserable with the problems she\'s been having grooming. I\'ve been switching her over very gradually to a Wellness diet this week, and now I\'m glad I did. The stress from a grooming and new food would just about do her in. I\'m going to take her to the vet this week to get them to groom her, but I\'m wondering if there\'s any chance that she\'ll learn to like getting a bath given by me. Or if I\'ll have to get her a standing appt at the vet to get a good grooming until she loses enough weight. :((

Comments

• Lisa DausmanLisa Dausman Member Posts: 5,216
    edited 14 December, 2008
    How old is Beverly and can you get someone to help you, who not be afraid of Beverly. I can tell you how to do this, but your going to need help and alot, alot of patience, and then you will be able to groom and bathe her. Its the same basics as starting show kittens, let me know. :) :D :)
  • Laura FingerLaura Finger AustinMember Posts: 65
    edited 14 December, 2008
    She's five. And I don't know about the getting someone who's not afraid of her part. lol Any advice would be welcomed.
  • JessicaJessica Long Island, New YorkMember Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭
    edited 14 December, 2008
    Generally, when vet hospitals groom not-so-happy kitties, they sedate them. Makes it easier on both parties.
    edited 14 December, 2008
    That's what they advised me to do when I picked her up at the groomer's. They told me that the bath was just stressing her out and she'd need something to calm her down. So now I'm going to call her soon to be new vet's office and ask if they can groom her. She really needs it and I wished I knew how to at least get the mats out of her hindquarters.
  • Joy WaltersJoy Walters Member Posts: 9,276
    edited 15 December, 2008
    Delilah is the same way. She was so matted this summer I knew I had to find a groomer. Check in your city to see if there is someone who deals with just cats--they\'ve usually seen it all and it doesn\'t phase them. Delilah still looks good months after being groomed. The groomer told me exactly how to care for her coat. And, the groomer didn\'t give her the \"lion cut\" even though I gave her permission to. Her vet will at least be able to take care of the mats--mine did before I found this groomer. They may be able to recommend an groomer who does just cats, also.
    edited 15 December, 2008
    When I called the vet, they said they didn't do grooming per se, but they'd cut the mats off of her hind quarters. And I really want them to recommend a good groomer to us. The one we went to supposedly is one of the best in town, but I heard that there's one up north that is good with meowing buzzsaws.