Will cat claw the floor?

Ernest KwanErnest Kwan WinnipegMember Posts: 8
edited 17 December, 2008 in Behavior & Training
I'm planning on redoing the flooring in my house prior to getting a cat. I was wondering, anyone know if cats will intentionally claw at the floor? (I'm doing ceramic/marble tiles and hardwood).

Comments

• Joy WaltersJoy Walters Member Posts: 9,276
    edited 16 December, 2008
    We have both kinds of floor in our home and I can\'t say as there are any claw marks from the 3 cats in the floors anywhere. There are scratches from the dogs running through the house, but not from the cats. We do have some pulls in our carpeting, but when you have 3 cats I guess you accept that stuff. If you provide scratchposts and other activities for your cat(s) then you shouldn\'t have to worry about them clawing the floor. If they do this when they get out of the litter box, then you can always put down a large mat for them to claw at.
  • Toby_AragornToby_Aragorn Garden GroveMember Posts: 43,438 ✭✭✭
    edited 16 December, 2008
    I've never heard of cats scratching on tiles, or wood floors, probably because the wood is treated. I have known people who's cats did scratch on wood moldings though.
  • MaynrysMaynrys Member Posts: 172
    edited 16 December, 2008
    Three other cats and I live in a house with all wood and tiled floors. We never have scratched at the floors nor do we damage them unintentionally by walking on them. Our nails are kept trimmed, and we do have scratching posts. Kepler has been known to scratch painted wood moldings around doors when he bounds around crazily and tries jumping up them. He's not using them as a scratching post - no one is really sure what he is doing.
  • Annalisa Conserti-JonesAnnalisa Conserti-Jones Member Posts: 5,234
    edited 16 December, 2008
    No. Gracie and I lived as guests in a house completely covered with wood floors, and we never left any scratches. With wood floor, heels and shoes are more likely to scratch and scuff the floor than cats claws, even if they are only trimmed occasionally (mom says it's hard to keep my nails trimmed).
  • Stephanie DejanStephanie Dejan Des PlainesMember Posts: 4,239
    edited 17 December, 2008
    Smooth surfaces really aren't any fun to scratch. Mom keeps cardboard scratching surfaces around, plus sisal catnip mats. Of course I still love the chairs, but that's just me. Mom trims my nails but lets the others be. :-/ THEY don't scratch the chairs, little goodie four-paws... We do love to dig into the carpet though!