She won\'t play with me!

Anastasia OBrienAnastasia OBrien Member Posts: 15
edited 21 December, 2008 in Behavior & Training
Hi…my name is Sylvester and I’m new here. I was hoping some of you could help me with my mom. She starts to play with me but then stops. I love to chase my toys…my balls, my mice…so, she’ll throw them across the room, I’ll run after them, and then I’ll wait for her to come and pick them up and when she does, I’ll run to another spot until she throws them again so I chase them once more. But she says it’s not fun for her b/c I don’t play like I used to when I was a kitten. But I love it! I don’t get it, what else am I supposed to do? I’m, a cat, I like to chase things…it’s fun for me! But she gets bored and gives up...I don’t know what else I’m supposed to do…do you any of you have a problem getting your moms to play this way? She has tried other toys, but I prefer my old ones. I would really like her to play with me more…what can she do?

Comments

• Joy WaltersJoy Walters Member Posts: 9,276
    edited 17 December, 2008
    Welcome to Catster, Sylvester! You sure are a handsome guy! It\'s hard to know what advice to give your \"meowmie\" about playing with you. Maybe you never learned to play by yourself? Izzie, Delilah and Lily Rose all do play by themselves or with each other. I don\'t know if getting you a furrend would help or not. Since you are 11 years old, you might not like that idea much, especially if it was a young whipper snapper who\'d tend to tick you off with his enthusiasm. A lot of people complain because their kitties sleep all day and don\'t do much. The hoomins want to play, but the kittehs just want to sleep! Maybe you can compromise with your meowmie. She can play for five or ten minutes and then you need to go play by yourself for a while. If she can do that a few times a day, then she won\'t get bored like you said she does and you will still have your playtime. Hope this works! Love, Izzie and the Gang here at \"The Zoo\"
  • Stephanie DejanStephanie Dejan Des PlainesMember Posts: 4,239
    edited 17 December, 2008
    Hey Sylvester! Has your mom tried a Cat Dancer? It's a really fun interactive toy your mom can play with. You might like it. She can make it fly around in the air and you can jump around at it. It may take some prodding, but once you get into it you'll look really funny and have a great time. Yeah, sometimes moms just really need to do what we cats want and need - play is the greatest bonding technique I know! And as we get older we really need the exercise and mental stimulation or we get depressed and age faster.
  • Anastasia OBrienAnastasia OBrien Member Posts: 15
    edited 17 December, 2008
    I actually do have a fur-iend but she doesn't always like me - we just moved here - into her home - a few months ago. I like her a lot and try to get her to play but she isn't always interested in being my fur-iend. Sometimes, she'll play chase with me but she only does it for a few minutes and then she gets mad at me and hisses. Mom has tried everything...she likes the laser pointer a lot but I don't like to play with that for too long. I guess she'll just have to keep throwing my toys around the house if she wants me to play with her! When I was littler I did play by myself a lot but now that I'm older, that's boring...I want to play with mom or Zoey.
  • Stephanie JohnsonStephanie Johnson Member Posts: 556
    edited 17 December, 2008
    I\'d second Spooky\'s vote for the Cat Dancer! It\'s only like $3 at Petco and I gotta tell you, it\'s THE THING in our house. Isabelle likes it so much that she has anxiety issues when it goes away. Khina gave me a good idea to tie it to a chair or railing so kitty can play with it by himself. Try it!! =;
  • Tara WTara W St. PaulMember Posts: 939
    edited 17 December, 2008
    See if you can teach him to bring the toy back to you. Both of my cats play fetch up and down the stairs. I will play that with them for as long as they keep bringing it back. But once the mouse stops coming back it's game over. If I had to run all over the house I'd never get anything done! I sit and work and they plop the mouse near me and I throw it. I'd start by teaching him to come to you. Then try throwing the toy and once he has it in his mouth, call him back. Use treats and praise. Cats are really smart and he'll figure out how to get what he wants out of you.
    edited 18 December, 2008
    Sylvester's mom here... Yes, he knows how to fetch and bring toys back - he used to that when he was younger...but now, it's like he wants me to do all of the work so he can just chase things...lol. He also used to love the cat dancers but not so much anymore. I have spent so much $$$ buying new toys I think he'll love...interactive toys...but he doesn't care for them at all...even some of the catnip ones. It's tough b/c even though he's 11, he's healthy and vibrant and still very much like a kitten and loves to play, and I want to play with him but running back & forth throwing toys from one end of the house to the other gets old fast! Anyway...thanks for trying to help us out!!!!
  • Joy WaltersJoy Walters Member Posts: 9,276
    edited 18 December, 2008
    Wow, he sure has you trained! You mean you throw the toy for him and then go get it? Did I read that right? :))! I\'m just kidding. ;) Want an honest answer? I\'d stop stressing out about it and just let Sylvester do his own thing. Sooner or later, he\'s going to realize that Mom isn\'t at his beck and call any longer and he has to amuse himself. This time of year, I have lots of boxes around that UPS and FedEx have left. My cats LOVE them. I have to be careful when I throw one out that there\'s not a cat in it! Right now, they\'re destroying my Christmas tree. I can hear the ornaments hitting the carpeting! Cats are very good at amusing themselves. It\'s extreme, I know, and this is a big decision, but have you thought about getting him a friend? Maybe some of his \"old\" toys would be new again if you brought them out. My cats LOVED the laser light two weeks ago. Now...not so much. So I put it away and will bring it back out after the Holidays. If Syl likes to watch cat t.v., you can also get him one of those perches for the window. I\'m even considering putting the (fake) Christmas tree up in our spare room for my cats to \"have at it\" all year. (No ornaments or lights).
    edited 18 December, 2008
    Wow, he sure has you trained! You mean you throw the toy for him and then go get it? Did I read that right? LOL…yes, he does have me trained well! I throw the toy, he goes after it, catches it, and then, sits and waits for me to pick it up again, at which point he runs to the opposite end of the room/hall/etc. and waits for me to throw them his way again. have you thought about getting him a friend? He has a friend…sort of…I posted about that above. She plays with him sometimes but she’s a little moody with him most times…she prefers to play alone. At night, when I’m watching tv or on my computer in my bedroom, he’ll go out into the living and all of a sudden he’ll start meowing and howling for her or me to come and play with him…when no one does, he comes into the bedroom with a toy in his mouth and plops on the floor – and I will sometimes then get up & go play but it’s the “you throw it, I’ll chase it, then you throw it again” game. Maybe some of his "old" toys would be new again if you brought them out. Every toy I have bought him is out and all over the house – lol. My cats LOVED the laser light two weeks ago. Now...not so much. So I put it away and will bring it back out after the Holidays. If Syl likes to watch cat t.v., you can also get him one of those perches for the window. We have a sliding glass door in my bedroom that goes out onto the balcony and he sits in front of it all day…at night, he’s not as interested but I think mostly, that is b/c I am home and he would rather have my attention than do a solitary thing on his own. Sooner or later, he's going to realize that Mom isn't at his beck and call any longer and he has to amuse himself. That’s what I had hoped, but this has been going on for years…but you’re right, I should stop stressing – it’s just guilt – I’m gone all day and some nights and when I’m home and he wants to play, I feel guilty for not playing...I think he must be bored silly half of the time...I know I would be.
  • Tara WTara W St. PaulMember Posts: 939
    edited 18 December, 2008
    Every toy I have bought him is out and all over the house – lol. This might be part of your problem. Try collecting up most of the toys and just leave a few out. Put the collected toys somewhere where they could get an interesting smell... like out in the garage or the basement... somewhere he doesn't get to go. Then in a week or more swap out a couple of toys for the "new" stinky ones. They might become fun again.
  • martha ciatteimartha ciattei Member Posts: 3,158
    edited 19 December, 2008
    :-h My cats do the same thing! Toys ALL OVER THE PLACE!!! I wish they would fetch! My kitties play together with those nylon cubes you can buy at Target. Plus put a feathered toy in there or ball and they can play with it in the cubes. The cubes are my best investment ever!! :D
  • Allison Tuthill GaulAllison Tuthill Gaul Virginia Beach, VAMember Posts: 168
    edited 21 December, 2008
    Kali plays fetch and will even jump up and put the toy on the couch next to us. She also plays soccer. She's a dogcat, says our vet, but I am pretty sure she's at least part Bombay due to her nose and face shape, her unusual vocal noises, and her behavior (she has every single Bombay behavior trait). Tiger, on the other hand, will romp after a toy very enthusiastically and occasionally we've caught her playing soccer or putting the toys away, but she won't fetch. She WILL play chase games. I will make a Tiger noise and poke my head around a corner and play coy and run away and repeat and she will chase me. This is good exercise for both of us and more interactive. Kali doesn't play that game. You could probably teach your cat to play a chase game. It's actually fun. I really love my cats so much it's disgusting. What can I say? Allison