Scaredy Cat

Marie DMarie D Member Posts: 6
edited 12 January, 2009 in Behavior & Training
When I first found my cat Dusty he had been chased by dogs and was very scared and timid. He kept tucking his tail between his legs and slinking low to the ground. After I brought him home and he got used to the place he was fine, no more scared behavior. Last night I had some friends over, and although Dusty gets nervous when other people are around, he is getting used to them since they are over often. I noticed that he wasn't around and I simply assumed he was nervous around the people again. However, this morning he is still hiding, and he won't go to his food or water bowl (or the litter box). When I found him, he had his tail curled up under him again and keeps staring wildly around like something is there frightening him. Since I am the only one home and there are no loud noises, I am puzzled! He's not scared of his brother because King will come near and Dusty does not cringe. Same with me, but as soon as he is no longer underneath some little hidey hole he becomes terrified! I am getting a little bit worried. Does anyone know what could have caused this and what I should do? The things I did when he was a kitten to calm him down aren't really working!

Comments

• Shelley CoxShelley Cox CarbondaleMember Posts: 2,752
    edited 22 December, 2008
    This is Delyte. Is Dusty any better since Friday? This sounds more like a kitty hiding because he feels sick rather than just scared. If he is not better today, you should consider taking him to the vet. I am the world's largest scaredy cat, and I sometimes behave like this if I am ill. Although more and more often now I seek out my person and want to cuddle with her for comfort. Purrs to you and hope you are better!:-h
  • Diane WallineDiane Walline Hamlin (suburb of Rochester)Member Posts: 500
    edited 22 December, 2008
    If he still is acting scared, i agree, and think maybe hes actually sick. Many cats are very good at hiding what is really bothering us. When i get sick i just curl up in a ball and refuse to move, eating and going potty less and less untill mom finally takes me to the v-e-t ( where i usually try to do my best kung fu kitty moves to get away).
  • Cathy ZCathy Z St LouisMember Posts: 2,511
    edited 22 December, 2008
    Hi Dusty I\'m a bit of a scardy cat too around strangers but I\'m different because I like any dogs and their smells. But I agree with Delyte and Jewel about the vet. Is Dusty still scared or better now? If she\'s better and it was only because of the visitors, try a bit of fabreeze spray in the house or boil a little cinnamon. It gets the visitor smells out. Is one or more of your guests around a dog? Some kitties are real picky about house smells. Hope this helps...good luck!
  • Marie DMarie D Member Posts: 6
    edited 12 January, 2009
    Dusty is much better now! He came out later that afternoon bit by bit. He had one more problem a few weeks ago and I finally figured out what he is afraid of. BALLOONS! The balloons I got for my husband's birthday terrify him, probably because he has no idea what they are! The naughty balloons have been popped and hidden away, never to be seen again. Thanks for all your concern and advice! ~a~