Help I\'m driving my mom nuts!

edited 15 January, 2009 in Behavior & Training
I know I shouldn't be going this, but I just can't help myself. It is just so much fun to make confetti out of toilet paper. I know my mom is on a fixed income and toilet paper is expensive. Do you have any ideas for me to get my fixation with toilet paper? Confession of a toilet paper serial killer! Or do I have CATsute of limitations?

Comments

• Thea PowellThea Powell Member Posts: 852
    edited 23 December, 2008
    Lilly a Key trigger to going toilet paper nuts is when that little piece is hangging down. Is mom trying to be martha steward that way? If so she may want to try to just rein in that little piece it could be all it takes to help. Other than that I would suggest either having it wrapped in wax paper andputting some bitter apple on it (some people say tabasco sauce but I think that is just creul) after a week or so you facination should turn to discused. The only other thing would be to not let you into the bathroom. My brother Dessert is facinated with toilet paper but ONLY when mom is wiping. EEEWW. Mom has had to make sure that he is no were around when she goes to the bathroom otherwise she is in major risk of having her had ripped up as he tries to get the paper.
  • Tara WTara W St. PaulMember Posts: 939
    edited 23 December, 2008
    I am a former tp shredder. My people simply kept the roll in the cabinet under the sink. Luckily the bathroom is situated so that you can reach it from the toilet. After a while they put it back on the roll, but if I started shredding again they put it away. Soon enough I just forgot about the tp and found other things to do. I haven't shredded in a long time. There should be a TP Shredder Anonymous. "Hi. My name is Gordie and I shred toilet paper." The group in unison, "Hi Gordie!" "I first started shredding in May. You know... for something to do. I wasn't addicted or anything. I could stop any time I wanted." The group nods. "Anyway, it got so that every morning, very early, I would go down to shred." The group leader asks, "What made you stop, Gordie?" "My people did an intervention. They locked up all the tp. I admit, I went a little crazy. I sat in the bathroom looking at where the tp used to be. Then I just... went and did something else. And you know what? It was okay!" The group claps. "I'm proud to say that I haven't been a shredder for six months now!" The group erupts into wild applause and shouts of, "Good for you!" "You can do it!" "Keep it up, man!" :))
  • Stephanie ChangtuStephanie Changtu MiamiMember Posts: 1,175
    edited 23 December, 2008
    :))! Gordie! I love to shred toilet paper, too. They just put it where I can't reach.
  • michele guerreromichele guerrero Member Posts: 162
    edited 23 December, 2008
    wow I never heard of this before! I didnt know that some cats like to shread tp!
  • Joy WaltersJoy Walters Member Posts: 9,276
    edited 23 December, 2008
    Gordie is right. My daughter\'s kitty Sophie was an Olympic TP shredder and now my daughter just keeps it on the sink or under the sink and Sophie finds other things to chew... %:D%
  • edited 23 December, 2008
    Unfortunatley my mom has no cabniets in her bathroom. She thought moving it to the back of the toliet was going to keep me away from it, but I can spy the paper fluttering up there and go into shred mode. Sometimes I drag the roll out into the livingroom to shred it. This makes my mom upset. Personally, I think this addiction is my moms fault. Afterall she used to let me play with it or even empty rolls. Now she doesn't think it's funny in the least.
    edited 24 December, 2008
    Maybe your mom could just cover the roll with a little hand towel. Or keep the door to the bathroom closed.
  • Matt WyrickMatt Wyrick Member Posts: 1,116
    edited 24 December, 2008
    I haven't kept toilet paper on the roller where it's supposed to be since I got a cat. :)) Just take it off the roller and keep it up out of the Kittie's reach.
  • Christina FarmerChristina Farmer VictoriaMember Posts: 227
    edited 25 December, 2008
    We go nuts over a roll of toilet paper too. Mom usually gives us one roll, which will last a few months, and we're pretty good at not playing with the roll in the bathroom. I probably would not recommend putting anything on the toilet paper, like tobasco sause or bitter apple....think about it....you're wiping your behind with it....:-/ Like most kitties suggest, keep your bathroom door closed...or if kitty's place is in the bathroom, or your kitty is super smart (like me, of course ;)) and can open the bathroom door, just keep the toilet paper in a safe place like in the kitchen. Anytime you need to use the bathroom, take the roll in with you, and when you're done, put it back in a safe place...
  • Annalisa Conserti-JonesAnnalisa Conserti-Jones Member Posts: 5,234
    edited 25 December, 2008
    Like everyone else said, keep it locked up or away from view. There are these cute toilet paper roll covers that people knit, that mom wishes she could find. Since she can't, she's been locking TP up in the cupboard under the bathroom sink. In my case, mom also had to childproof that cabinet, because I know how to open cabinet, doors, and even drawers (I...uh...like to sleep in mom's sock drawer :r). People told mom that I would grow out of it, but I never did. I stopped for a while, long enough to fool mom into thinking I would never do it again, but of course I had to teach the kitten about it, and that had mom deciding that I could no longer be trusted, so mom started hiding the TP again. TP rollers anonymous sounds like a great support group.
  • Debora BaileyDebora Bailey CalgaryMember Posts: 1,076
    edited 26 December, 2008
    \"Hi, my name is Eeyore, and I am a TP shredder\" \"It all started when I was a young kitten. It was just fun and games, no one ever warned me of the possibility of addiction. After years of this cruel addiction, my family tried intervention. They tried to remove the TP to under the sink, but I just figured out how to open the cupboard, and continued. They tried to cover it wtih Foil, but that too was unsuccessful. Finaly they just closed the bathroom doors, and no matter how hard I tried to get in I couldn\'t. I have now been free from shredding TP for 6 months. Ocassionally I fall of the tolet seat and only partially shred the first 4-5 layers. Thank you everyone for the support group. It means a lot to addicts like myself. :D
    edited 26 December, 2008
    *supportive applause for Eeyore* =D>=D>=D>=D>=D>=D>=D>=D>=D>=D>=D>=D>=D>=D>=D>=D>=D>=D>=D>
    edited 30 December, 2008
    "Eeyore takes a polite bow"......Thanks you Gordie, and everyone, it means a lot to me. Would the next TP Addict like to step up and introduce themselves......... =D>=D>
    edited 30 December, 2008
    Well, I slipped up the other night. Khina and I were being kind of crazy and she dared me to shred. I said no, but she kept taunting me! So... I mean... I just unrolled a few sheets. It was no big deal. I didn't really shred. You know? I just unrolled it a little bit. It's okay. I don't have a problem. *shifts nervously in his seat*
    edited 30 December, 2008
    "Its OK Gordie,.....we're here for you. you'll do better this week. " Pats Gordie on the back gently......."We're all here for you!"
  • edited 7 January, 2009
    Hi my name is Lilly and i'm a TP Shredder. I've been giving mom a break for a little while now. Hopefully I'm over my addiction, but the paper is still there to tempt me. I'm trying to behave myself.. Let's see how long I can hold out. Thank you for letting me share.
  • Jill LarsenJill Larsen Member Posts: 76
    edited 8 January, 2009
    Hi my name is Sam. I too am a tp shredder. I also got my siblings to give in to peer pressure. Now we are all addicts. We know how to open the doors and drawers also. Now our mom had to put child saftely locks on.
  • Lisa DausmanLisa Dausman Member Posts: 5,216
    edited 8 January, 2009
    I vote we start a support group, TPSA. :-O Bumpurr did this too when he was a kitten, unrolled the whole roll, then when it was all over the floor in a heap, he shreaded it into a zillion pieces, which were then all over the house. Closing the bathroom door was not an option, as the cat boxes are in there, mol, so got a tall kitchen wastebasket, the kind with the lid on it, and put the TP in there. I do TP at the dollor store, 6 rolls for $1.00. Too expensive in the grocery stores. :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
  • edited 9 January, 2009
    Hahahah daddy came out of the bathroom and said I threatened him. He said I threatened him with bodily harm. Told mom I was going to turn into a kitty assassin and scratch him if he didn\'t give me some toilet paper. Of course daddy relented and gave me some. Sigh, it sounds like mom is fighting a loosing battle with daddy around.|$|
  • Ellie CarterEllie Carter SeattleMember Posts: 2,252
    edited 9 January, 2009
    MOL:))!:))!:))!:))! You guys are great! I too am a TP addict.... but my obsession doesnt stop there.... I shred paper towels too! Mom has to keep both of them away from me and lock them up, or I will have a heyday, MOL.... Needless to say, I have been very good and have not shredded TP or paper towels in a long time.....
  • Lisa DausmanLisa Dausman Member Posts: 5,216
    edited 9 January, 2009
    Anybody remember Bevis and Butthead? Remember when he got into too much sugar, mol, mol, and the trip to Wash DC, way too funny!! :)):)):)):)):)):)):)):)):)):)):)):)):)):)):)):)):)):)):)):))
  • JL GrummerJL Grummer Member Posts: 24
    edited 14 January, 2009
    Try putting child safe latches on cabinets. You can get them at toys-r-us or any drug store in the baby isle. Then cover the toilet paper. Tell the cat 'aint' loudly when you catch them doing it. Keep your bathroom door closed. Explain to the cat that isn't theirs...Give them enrichment toys to play with. Cats are as trainable as a dog are. Also, the cat might need a scratching post.
  • edited 11 January, 2009
    The problem is NOT money it's space. I live in a small 10X15 single. I am looking into new cabinets that have doors. I love my cats and take good care of them. I work 3/4 time and spend lots of time playing with my cats. They have more toys to play with then you know and they also have a beautiful cat tree
    edited 11 January, 2009
    Hey Behr! That sounds like a good plan..... but I also like the small trashcan idea that someone shared... I hadn't thought of that one:D I am not sure how your bathroom is set up, but mom bought a set of skinny, small drawers from Target (or someplace like that).... They are just wide enough for toilet paper. Anyway, that is where she keeps hers and I cant get in there....:-kJust another thought:-k
    I found one at Bed Bath & Beyond that I really like. It's about 2 1/2 ft in the air with a cabinet drawer, so they won't be able to get into it. Nice thing is it's on wheels, so it can be moved.
    edited 11 January, 2009
    Hey.... wheels are good! MOL!!!
    Hey mom found a toilet paper cabinet at Walmart. Pepper is locked in the bathroom because of her hurt leg. I came in this morning to a whole roll of toilet paper shredded.. hahahha not for long though.
    edited 12 January, 2009
    I shred....therefore "I am"! :)):))
    edited 13 January, 2009
    MOL :))! That's a good one!:))
  • Stephanie DejanStephanie Dejan Des PlainesMember Posts: 4,239
    edited 14 January, 2009
    One day at a time, TPSAs... Just for today... This one might be stupid, BUT... do you just like to unroll it? If so, what works with some cats is simply turning the roll over so it rolls from behind. If you'll shred the whole thing anyway, that obviously won't work. If you need to just get away from temptation for awhile - you know, stay away from slippery slopes - maybe Mom could use facial tissues for awhile. My hu-mom's mom used to walk around with a roll of tp when she had a cold (called it her roll of Puffs), so maybe the reverse would work!