10 week old kitten still urinates outside the box...

Valerie DurhamValerie Durham Member Posts: 8,724
edited 3 January, 2009 in Behavior & Training
I originally had trouble toilet-training the Magnificent Seven, since I had been told that Momcat teaches them herself once they start eating kitten food, and I foolishly left it up to her--and she did nothing. I ended up with cat excrement all over my apartment. Then I learned to put them in the box after meal time, AND started keeping them in their kitty playpen, and it seems that all have mastered the fine art of \"thinking inside the box.\" However, Leverett, who has never struck me as the brightest of the bunch, continues to urinate outside the litter box--sometimes NEXT TO the litter box, sometimes on the bed. I\'ve confined him to a cage (it\'s three stories high and big enough for a full-sized cat toilet), but he still occasionally goes on one of the cage shelves. He does go in the litter box more often than not; but he doesn\'t seem to have the usual instinct to always do it where he should. I suppose I should get him checked out for a urinary infection, but he\'s been doing this consistently since he started walking, and I don\'t see any of the other tell-tale signs of a UTI--frantic pawing at the cat sand, etc. (Spike is prone to UTIs and I know when he\'s got one.) Assuming it\'s behavioral, what should be done? This is a case slightly different from an adult cat who suddenly starts refusing to use the toilet; his behavior has been consistent since he became ambulatory, and he simply doesn\'t seem to understand that urine goes in the box the way bowel movements do (he\'s okay in that department, at least). Any ideas on what I should do? I have a feeling that I\'m dealing with a cat who is not, as they say, the sharpest pencil in the box. Cute as a button, but no contender for the Nobel Prize in quantum mechanics. I\'m less worried about the bother of cleaning up after him than about this habit making it hard to find him a good home. Any advice is appreciated.

Comments

• Annalisa Conserti-JonesAnnalisa Conserti-Jones Member Posts: 5,234
    edited 21 December, 2008
    Aww, poor Leverett. The only solution I can think of is putting him in the box as he pees (of course, in a cage that would be impossible), to maybe give him a better idea of that. Barring that, some cats do not like to mix their pee and poo, so maybe you could try giving him two litter boxes one next to the other and see what happens? Really, really scratching our heads here. Boris and Gracie
  • naomi codynaomi cody Charm CityMember Posts: 537
    edited 24 December, 2008
    we concur with boris. also maybe they have kitten attract in japan? i've been told that helps.
  • Pat GilePat Gile Member Posts: 3
    edited 25 December, 2008
    When I got Lester he was too little to jump in the big box so I gave him one of those little storage boxes until he got bigger. Seeing I have 2 cats I got 2 cat boxes. Needless to say they poop in one and pee in the other..sure makes cleaning easier. Try putting a 2nd box in.
  • Thea PowellThea Powell Member Posts: 852
    edited 25 December, 2008
    Because he sometimes uses the box to pee this is my theory. He's palying, He's palying, He's palying, He's palying, oh my body says to go pee hmmm I can hold it for just a bit more, He's palying,He's palying,He's palying oh I really gotta go now I can't make it to the litter box. ACCIDENT!!!!!!!! He is a kitten after all, and just like some kids it may take him longer to realize the necessaty of listening to his body. That's just my theory.
  • janice lancasterjanice lancaster temple gaMember Posts: 2,505
    edited 26 December, 2008
    Maybe you could try a smaller cage, with about enough room for the kitty, the litter box(es), and that's about all, until he seems to be getting the idea. I've seen it work on adult cats who had nothing wrong with them, just no big desire to use the box. otherwise, maybe the light will just come on one day. Let's hope so! Oh, and if you do see him peeing in the box, make a big fuss and givehim a treat as soon as he';s done (keep some in a jar on top of the cage, so you won't have to go looking)
  • Penny BergPenny Berg EnglewoodMember Posts: 76
    edited 3 January, 2009
    Have you tried using a litter additive for behavior modification? There are several different ones on the market and can be found in pet stores. Good luck!!