feline leukemia

Beverly HixBeverly Hix Osage CountyMember Posts: 48
edited 29 December, 2008 in Cat Health
My cat has been diagnosed w/feline leukemia and I am just sick about it. My vet tried to comfort me by saying that Lizy can live with it, maybe for several years. Lizy is three and came to me as a feral on a cold spring day trying to eat sunflower seeds from my bird feeder. I would really like to hear some positive stories about others who have cats with this disease.

Comments

• Tangee WilsonTangee Wilson glen burnieMember Posts: 12
    edited 22 December, 2008
    I have no experience with this. I just wanted to express my thoughts and prayers for you and your baby.
  • JANE STUTFIELDJANE STUTFIELD BERKELEYMember Posts: 2,203
    edited 22 December, 2008
    We are so sorry to hear that this beautiful girl has FeLV. She certainly can live a good life for several years. One thing I notice is that you have other cats in the household...is she in contact with them. FeLV is a contagious disease and even if your other cats have been vaccinated against the disease, the vaccine is not 100% effective. Check out this site for a brief description of the disease: http://www.vet.cornell.edu/fhc/brochures/felv.html None of my cats have the disease but the humane society where I volunteer with the cats has taken in several FeLV cats over the years. One, in particular, has lived for at least 2 years past the diagnosis and he is thriving. Diet and vet checkups are extremely important - read as much as you can about the disease and feed the highest quality food you can afford. Vet checks should probably be every 6 months, minimum. She should not be allowed outside to reduce her risk of getting sick or the risk of her infecting other cats. She is a lucky girl to have found you. Enjoy all your time together - we never have enough time with our beloved cats - and she could live a long, wonderful life. We purr for that. Oliver
  • Lisa BordenLisa Borden MedinaMember Posts: 13,210
    edited 23 December, 2008
    Hi Lizy! I tested positive for FeLV, too. My mommy is trying really hard to keep me healthy, and I'd love to talk to you about it! Furst thing to remember is, FeLV is not a death sentence! |:|
  • Beverly HixBeverly Hix Osage CountyMember Posts: 48
    edited 23 December, 2008
    Oh my, I feel so dumb! Lizy has feline FIV not feline leukemia. My daughter, straightened me out. That's not good, but better than having feline leukemia, or so I am told. Please excuse my mistake and mewy hugs to all who offered kind thoughts. Now you can offer suggestions on how I care for Lizy now. Mewy smooches, b
  • b wilsonb wilson Member Posts: 16
    edited 29 December, 2008
    I have FIV also, I got it from my mom when I was a kitten. I am four years old now and have had no health problems.|$| I don't get any of the normal vaccinations, since my immune system is suppressed and I am an indoor only cat. I live with non-FIV cats and we share food, water, and litter with no problems. I would suggest you join the FIVCats and FIV-healthscience groups on yahoo. They have lots of information on health and nutrition for cats with FIV.