Still Sucking at 11 Weeks

Anita BrechlerAnita Brechler Boulder CityMember Posts: 51
edited 30 January, 2009 in Behavior & Training
Here lately I have been wanting to suck more and more each day. Yesterday my mommy went to Petsmart and bought me a bottle and kitty formula mixed it up and tried to let me suck on the bottle. Well it didn't go according to plan. You see in less then a minute I chewed the nipple in half and milk went all over us. Does anyone have any suggestions to help us? The package came with more weird odd shaped nipples. when is the best time to try this again? My mommy can't afford to waste money as these things aren't cheap.

Comments

• Annalisa Conserti-JonesAnnalisa Conserti-Jones Member Posts: 5,234
    edited 30 December, 2008
    Is this little Truffles who was taken from his mom at 6 weeks? If so, this was part of the reason why some catsters told you that you might want to wait to take him home until he was older. Many cats who are weaned from their mothers too early (read: before they are 8 weeks or older) have issues with suckling, and in some cases it turns into life-long behavior. Basically, they've never had a mom show them that it isn't acceptable behavior for a kitten to suckle beyond a certain age, and so they continue doing so. I'll let catsters who have sucklers give you more advice, but usually with suckling, you want to redirect the behavior to a safe object, like a baby blanket.
  • Beastie_and_the_BoysBeastie_and_the_Boys Marquette, MI / ChicagoMember Posts: 17,806 ✭✭✭
    edited 30 December, 2008
  • Anita BrechlerAnita Brechler Boulder CityMember Posts: 51
    edited 30 December, 2008
    Hi Boris, Truffles was brought home at eight weeks old. I had to convince the lady to let him stay another week and she agreed to that but when it was time to come pick him up she was very insistent that he had to go. No matter what.....So I didn't want to take any chances, went and got him. And no I didn't feel that he was ready to be away from his cat mummy. But what can you do? But he's a Cutie Pie and we just love him so much. He has been here over 3 weeks now and has (looks like) he's doubled in size. He's gonna be big.
  • Yailen AbrahantesYailen Abrahantes TampaMember Posts: 6
    edited 30 December, 2008
    Hes absolutely adorable :) !! Ruby does the same thing and shes 6 months old. I\'ve tried everything to get her to stop, but it seems useless. Shes scared to death of bottles lol :)) Unless you\'re lucky enough to find a solution, I think its just something you\'re gonna have to get used to. To me its just something that adds to rubys personality so I don\'t mind it anymore :-/ best of luck to you ;)
  • Marta GasperMarta Gasper FairburyMember Posts: 636
    edited 30 December, 2008
    I lost my mom when I was abt 3 weeks old so for a few more wks I was a bottle baby though I'd lap and eat from a dish. When I was tired from the bottle I did what you did. My foster mom gave me the bottle and the nipple to play with (while she watched me)..I got tired after a while and haven't seen it since (no regrets)
  • Valerie DurhamValerie Durham Member Posts: 8,724
    edited 30 December, 2008
    My kittens are 11 weeks old and they are still nursing on Momcat AND her sister (who\'s never been pregnant!). Momcat comes into the room and gives out a tiny Maine Coon trill, and they all come running. But since it\'s now more of a bonding ritual than a nutritional thing, she shakes them off after around 5 minutes and goes into another room. Some of them seem to prefer their Auntie because she lets them \"nurse\" longer! Anyway, apparently kittens will nurse for comfort well past the age when they are usually separated from their mother. Generally this behavior eventually resolves itself, but you could try substituting other things for Kitty to suck on, as other posters have said. Since your kitten is a purebred, that should mean you got him from a breeder or pet shop. Could you ask them for advice on what to do?
  • Stacey AllenStacey Allen Atlanta/Georgetown/eufaulaMember Posts: 21
    edited 30 December, 2008
    i hate to say it, but i'm 2 years old and i still suck, grammy doesn't like it but momma doesn't mind. mommy is locking at that catsifier thingy, wht do you think about it
  • Roxann RobbinsRoxann Robbins Member Posts: 3,268
    edited 30 December, 2008
    I'm almost 13 years old and I've nursed the tip of my tail since I was 5 weeks old. I only do this when I;m relaxed and purrring happy :-$ *blush* Patrick
  • Lisa DausmanLisa Dausman Member Posts: 5,216
    edited 31 December, 2008
    The milk kitten formula, is for kittens that need to be bottle fed, for what- ever reason, kittens that lost their mother, kittens that are under 8 weeks old, that do not have a mother, or for other medical reasons, and this should only be done, on advice of a vet, a knowledgeable breeder, or a person knowledgeable in the care of very young kittens. An 11 week old kitten should be on kitten food, and stay on kitten food until they are 7 months old. They should stay on the kitten food, the breeder fed them, when they started them on solid food. Kittens systems are very very sensitive, and you can't be changing foods on them, and they should not be getting adult food or kitten formula, unless a vet tells you to. As long as the kitten is eating and drinking, using the cat box, is active and is healthy, there is no reason to worry about them wanting to suckle something. I got Prowler when he was 6 weeks old, somebody threw him away, he continued to suckle and kneed, until he was almost 8 months old. I got him a couple of soft squashy teddy bears, about his size, and they became his security blanket. When I brought the 2 kittens home, they immed tried to nurse Bumpurr, and he let them, and they were 8 weeks old. Now he is their "mommy", they sleep with him, he puts his paw over them, when they sleep, and he cleans them. He is their security blanket. The kittens eat like truck drivers and play with Bumpurr like crazy boys, lol, and are very healthy. What your kitten is doing is normal for a kitten, she just needs a security blanket, like some soft squishy teddy bears her size. Please don't give her anymore kitten formula, or any milk, it will upset her little system then you will really have probs. She is just beautiful! :):):):):):):D:D:D:D:D:):):):):)
  • Anita BrechlerAnita Brechler Boulder CityMember Posts: 51
    edited 1 January, 2009
    Truffy's mom, I just want to clear up any mis information here. We love Truffles very much and certainly wouldn't do a thing to harm him or his health. However all of you don't know is, at 6 weeks old the lady wanted us to come get Trufles because he was eating dry food. But after reading what some of you guy's posted here, I convinced her to keep Truffy with his meommy for another 2 weeks and she agreed. We got him at 8 weeks old. What I am doing is re-learning about kittens. I haven't had one close to 20 years. Truffles is special to me, it was like a "Love at First Sight" thing, don't believe me ask my husband. We are bonded and I let him suck on my soft t shirts while kneading (his claws kill me thou) Tried to stop him from doing that but gave up, he's persistent. I will have to get a soft baby blankie for him. He sleeps on my pillow above my head every night. What's funny is , sometimes he plops down right in my face to sleep and his fur starts tickling my nose then I can't breath because he's right in my face so I have to move him. Sorry I kinda got off topic , my point is.....we're all still learning that's why were here. I too believe that kittens need to be with meommy til 12 weeks. But if they can't then it's up to us to help them. So please don't be so harsh. And if some get carried away, take them with a grain of salt and move on. Nothing more you can do. I an so thankful to all that has helped me so far. May I return the favor one day
  • Toby_AragornToby_Aragorn Garden GroveMember Posts: 43,438 ✭✭✭
    edited 1 January, 2009
    Not sure how this will help, but here goes. When I was just 3 weeks old I came to meowmy. She used an itty bitty bottle and I LOVED it! I wasn\'t in any hurry to get off the formula/cereal mix, even though meowmy tried and tried. Finally, one day, I started eating kibble. I is now 14 and still wants my bottle (water only now). Some of us never \"wean\" completely, I guess. :? If you checks my page, meowmy even has a video of me and my babba! Every cat, like every person, matures at their own rate. Don\'t try to rush it.
  • Lisa DausmanLisa Dausman Member Posts: 5,216
    edited 1 January, 2009
    Didn't think I was being harsh, lol, but if you took it that way, then I apologize, thats just how I write, and, thats why I put lots of smiley faces. :):):):):):):D:D:D:D:D:D:):):):):):)
  • Thea PowellThea Powell Member Posts: 852
    edited 2 January, 2009
    Hi Truffels, I was taken from mommy @ 6 weeks old and spent one week @ a petshop befor mommy broght me home. I suckled too. Mommy new I was very little when I was taken from mommy so didn't worry too much about my drooling. I also would do the pillow thing. The only thing mommy did was steer me away from the places she didn't want me suckling. Eventually I chose the mat in front of the front door as my favoite suckle spot. As the front door is in the living room I was able to relax while mommy would watch TV or read. When I was about one I stared to slow down. Then Mommy got Forest and I eventually gave it up for ever (well at least mommy hasn't seen me suckle in about a year). So I encourage you to find one good spot for a suckle and not worry about the rest once your ready you too will give it up. The only thing I do now that involves spit is DROOL, I do this ALL the time and never plan on giving it up. :-h
  • Anastasia OBrienAnastasia OBrien Member Posts: 15
    edited 18 January, 2009
    Sylvester was taken from his mommy a little too early too - up until about the age of 8 or 9, he used to love to cuddle up with me and suck on clothes...especially at night when I'd go to bed, he'd sit on my tummy or my chest and suck on my pj's and fall asleep. He is now almost 12 and doesn't do it nearly as much - almost never, but on a rare occassion, he will. It never really bothered me but if you don't want him to do it say, when he's on your lap, a couple of gentle pushes of his mouth away and a "no" should do the trick...or, you could just pick him up and move him next to you or something. It's just something they do when the aren't weaned properly which is something you can't really fix. I think it's a behavior tht they either grow out of or not but I was never able to stop Sylvester from doing it completely.
  • edited 30 January, 2009
    Me and my sister still love to suck and make biscuits on my mommy\'s hair. I was taken away from someone at 2 1/2- 3 weeks old and my sister was found at 8 weeks, so we don\'t know what happened to her. Mom just lays there and pets us till me are satisfied.