Male cat ran away..female to blame?

Barbara OrrBarbara Orr OhioMember Posts: 1,051
edited 8 January, 2009 in Behavior & Training
I have been told that male cats who are not neutered will get a female pregnant then the female will run him off becasue she will fear him killing her babies? Is this true? I have vouchers for both and had planned on getting them both scheduled to get fixed this week and now he\'s been missing for 4 days..:((

Comments

• Joy WaltersJoy Walters Member Posts: 9,276
    edited 6 January, 2009
    Oh-oh. Make sure you contact your local animal control officer, shelters, animal rescues, etc. and do the usual posting of flyers. Ernie was gone for two days once also and came back in with the dogs one morning. We\'ll hold good thoughts. A female who has kittens will run ANYONE off, not just the male. On the other hand, as the kittens get older, some mama cats are glad for the extra help and will let their father \"babysit\". The thought of male cats on the rampage hunting for baby kittens to eviscerate is not really true. The urge to mate is very strong, and the mating itself can be rather violent. A female can come back into heat right away after she has the kittens. Sometimes the babies just \"get in the way\" and are injured and subsequently die from their injuries.
  • Lisa DausmanLisa Dausman Member Posts: 5,216
    edited 6 January, 2009
    Being that he is a whole cat, he is just doing what a whole cat would normally do, and "wander" in search of female cats. One of my friends told me once, a male cat can wander up to 9 miles. Another thing, please check around your property, he may have accidently gotten closed in somewhere, a garage, shed, car, trunk, maybe gotten into someones car that was visiting. Talk to your neighbors, maybe they have seen him, post flyers around the neighborhood. Hope this helps, and hope he comes home soon. :):):):):):D:D:D:D:D:D:):):):):):)
  • Barbara OrrBarbara Orr OhioMember Posts: 1,051
    edited 6 January, 2009
    Our kids are going to take in flyers to their friends at school who live nearby tomorrow so they can keep their eyes open... I keep hoping he shows back up.. plus I am going to print some flyers and call the local vet... he was such a super SWEET kitty..poor thing...:( He would hug me and give me kisses on the ear...he loved to be held and cuddled...
    edited 6 January, 2009
    Sending Kramer to help you, he does crop circles, all by himself, and when in the next day or 2, you tell us Socks is safely home, I will tell you what this means. Just keep asking Kramer to help find Socks, he is listening. (((((((((((BIG HUGS)))))))) =;=;=;=;=;=;=;=;=;=;=;=;=;=;=;=;=;=;=;=;=;=;=;=;=;=;=;=;=;=;=;=;=;
  • Beastie_and_the_BoysBeastie_and_the_Boys Marquette, MI / ChicagoMember Posts: 17,806 ✭✭✭
    edited 7 January, 2009
    I agree that he's just doing what an unaltered male feels the need to do, which is roam in search of females to mate with. It's not necessarily because of his sis, but because he hasn't been neutered yet. *purring for Socks to make it home soon!*
  • Joy WaltersJoy Walters Member Posts: 9,276
    edited 7 January, 2009
    A good time to look for him is at night with a flashlight. Their eyes glow in the dark and the flashlight beam will pick it up. Yes, do look under things, behind things, inside things, etc. especially if it's cold where you live. Good luck and many purrs.
  • Stephanie DejanStephanie Dejan Des PlainesMember Posts: 4,239
    edited 7 January, 2009
    Does he normally go out and does he know how to get back home? I had a cat who disappeared several times for between 3-5 days. I'd be worried sick and then she'd come back, all hi Mom, I'm hungry, feed me and pet me! But just try to keep her in... Shelley got out once - she's an indoor cat - and I didn't realize it and locked her out. :r She is a timid cat, and the trauma of being outside made her too afraid to even come back in. I left food and water out for her overnight and waited for her to come eat it. It worked, thankfully. All to say, don't despair - he may just be off adventuring.
    edited 8 January, 2009
    Shelley's post made me think of something I saw in a post once, forget now if it was this board or another board. The person who lost their cat, put the cats, cat box outside, and the cat smelled it and came home. Anybody ever heard of this before? :-h