Social Eating

Jason YoungbergJason Youngberg WheatonMember Posts: 251
edited 22 January, 2009 in Behavior & Training
My Foster Daddy has to put me in the bathroom to feed me because the other kittehs want to eat my food! FD leaves me in there long enough for me to finish. When he opens the door, I'm sitting on the sink waiting to get out. But lately when my foster brother comes in to gobble up the left overs, I jump down and join him in a few bites. Why would I go back to eating after I finished? Do I like eating with others?

Comments

• Joy WaltersJoy Walters Member Posts: 9,276
    edited 7 January, 2009
    It could be that you are showing your brufur that it's really YOUR food and you are just being "social" by not fighting him for it. You might also think that something "better" has magically appeared in the bowl and brufur found it. And, if you ever saw lions eating, not many times will you see them eating alone, so you might just be keeping brufur company.
  • Lisa DausmanLisa Dausman Member Posts: 5,216
    edited 7 January, 2009
    I feed my cats in their carriers. They only eat what they are fed, nobody else can eat their food, nobody can bother them, and its a good way to keep track they are eating, or not eating. Its also a good way to teach them to load. Hope this helps. :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
  • Stephanie DejanStephanie Dejan Des PlainesMember Posts: 4,239
    edited 7 January, 2009
    We all like to take little breaks from eating and then return. And we're willing to eat out of the same small bowl at the same time, even though we're not very affectionate with each other! Well, that is, except for Frodo. She eats separately because she doesn't like us and we don't like her. :-/
  • JL GrummerJL Grummer Member Posts: 24
    edited 10 January, 2009
    Perhaps this cat likes eating with friends..>Social nice kitty, she likes to share and has no food/agression issues..Try letting the cat she likes, eat with her in the same room with their own food and own bowls. You might find that both cats might eat from both bowls.
  • Jason YoungbergJason Youngberg WheatonMember Posts: 251
    edited 21 January, 2009
    Today when Foster Daddy came home from work he saw where I had another accident :r He was hoping he could wean me off the kitten food onto the adult food like the other cats (or at least help me tolerate it a bit more). He tried put me in the bathroom with my kitten food but I escaped and ran to where the forbidden adult food was. He tried again and succeeded in putting me in there to eat for over half an hour. When he let me out, I only at half my food and the other cats charged right in and began eating my food. I got a few bites of the yummy adult food before FD took it away. He says we have a little problem. I want the adult food which gives me runny poo and the adults want the kitten food which is expensive (and the foster agency buys for ME, not them). Even when I can eat the kitten food in peace, I seem to like eating with the adults more. What can FD do?
  • Lisa DausmanLisa Dausman Member Posts: 5,216
    edited 22 January, 2009
    Bumpurr eats in his carrier, he gets adult food. The kittens eat in their carrier, they get kitten food. Bumpurr cannot eat the kitten food, it makes him sick. The kittens cannot eat the adult food, gives them diarea. So, they eat in their carriers. Bumpurr cannot get to the kitten food, the kittens cannot get to the adult food. When everybody gets done eating, then they all come out of the carriers. Put them in the carrier, then put the food in. Thought I already posted this. :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
  • Jason YoungbergJason Youngberg WheatonMember Posts: 251
    edited 22 January, 2009
    We HATE our carriers (I get put in one every week and go to the adoption show) and we can out-wait Daddy in the morning so we can get the food we want. We're stubbron, and it's 3 against 1.
  • Annalisa Conserti-JonesAnnalisa Conserti-Jones Member Posts: 5,234
    edited 22 January, 2009
    I think your only solution is to pick up the leftovers as soon as they stop eating, and stow them away. I don't have a problem with either cat and the food (they are both on an all age formula, it does solve that kind of problem), but one of mine tends to eat from the other's bowl, but not vice-versa, which means the elder one got a disproportionate amount of food. I've found that the only way to prevent the whole social eating thing is to stick to timed feedings, and leave no left overs.