How to quiet a yowler??

Stephanie DejanStephanie Dejan Des PlainesMember Posts: 4,239
edited 15 January, 2009 in Behavior & Training
My new mom says I must have Siamese cat in me. My face is triangular, and, well, I guess I'm a little loud. I only talk when I'm lonely and want some loving. I think it's because I had other cats to play with at the shelter, and my new cat-sibs don't like me yet. So Mom has to give me all my attention. I give her lots of purring, rubbing, etc. as rewards for petting me. But Mom doesn't call it talking. She calls it incessant-demanding-yowling-and-I'm-going-to-do-something-horrible-to-your-vocal-cords-if-you-don't-stop. She usually picks me up though because she knows I've only been in my new home 9 days and am still adjusting. What can we do to get along better? I like this mom and want to please her.

Comments

• JL GrummerJL Grummer Member Posts: 24
    edited 14 January, 2009
    Spend a lot of time engaging the cat in play and cuddles. Feed it.>Give it treats that kittens can digest. Also, get some kitten stages toys for it. If you bond with your kitten correctly, then the yowling will stop.
  • Stephanie DejanStephanie Dejan Des PlainesMember Posts: 4,239
    edited 12 January, 2009
    Well, I've been moved around a lot, stray to shelter to shelter, but I take your point. Moving is very stressful, as is getting to know new sibs. I like that part, but they don't like me! :(( I'll charm them in time. Mom says the kits she used to foster didn't do this, but then they were part of a litter. Mom spends lots of time with me in her lap or next to her. I'm really mellow then. She's trying extra hard to be proactive in picking me up and cuddling so I don't have to yell. It's just hard when she has to take care of the others and spend one-on-one time with them as well, because they're very stressed too.
  • Thea PowellThea Powell Member Posts: 852
    edited 15 January, 2009
    Lurch creat a shcedual. Please do not give into the demands for attention when it is not schedualed. It will take some time but he will eventually calm down. Induglng him is creating a dependant kitten what you want is a loving indipendant one. Dependant kittens have problems all thier own. Schedual and consistancy by the end of month the yowling should have stopped.