At What Age Do Males Start Spraying/Marking Territory?

Anita BrechlerAnita Brechler Boulder CityMember Posts: 51
edited 23 January, 2009 in Behavior & Training
I need to know before this begins and to get Truffles neutered. Thanks

Comments

• Lisa DaversLisa Davers SacramentoMember Posts: 3,642
    edited 9 January, 2009
    They tend to start spraying once they hit puberty/sexual maturity which usually happens at about 6 months but can be as early as 4 months. You can tell as soon as they hit puberty as their pee really starts to smell strong. The ASPCA did a lot of research and found that cats can be safely spayed/neutered as soon as they are more than 2 months old and at least 2 pounds. So Truffles is probably old/big enough to be neutered already but as long as you get him done in the next 2-3 months you\'ll avoid any issues with spraying.
  • Anita BrechlerAnita Brechler Boulder CityMember Posts: 51
    edited 9 January, 2009
    He\'s definitely over 2 months but not sure about his weight? I do have a new picture posted of him on the page. He has changed so much (as far as looks goes) in the last month since we first got him. No more so much of the cute baby face look. Could you see his picture and kinda give me an estimate of what you might think he weighs? Thanks, Anita
  • Sara KangSara Kang Member Posts: 403
    edited 9 January, 2009
    Hi Truffles, I have taken more than 14 rescued kittens in for early spay/neuter at about 3 months of age, when they exceed 2 lbs. Even if a kitten is 2.5 pounds, this is usually enough. Just make sure your kitten is healthy, and doesn't have lowered immunity b/c of FeLV, FIV, or even a URI. The vet will not recommend spay/neuter until Truffles is healthy! The caveat is this: You need to find a vet who has done early spay/neuter, and has experience with it. We take ours to a clinic that will spay/neuter after 2 pounds and they do such a great job. Don't just go to any vet, as it can cause complications w/an unknowledgeable vet. Early spay/neuter is great b/c the kitties never realize their gender, though I think Tabifa has a lot of feminine traits-- girly, picky, stuff like that. hehe They never spray, roam, or do any of that crazy pubescent stuff!
  • Laura FingerLaura Finger AustinMember Posts: 65
    edited 9 January, 2009
    Aw, Truffles- you're such a cutie!
  • Lisa DausmanLisa Dausman Member Posts: 5,216
    edited 9 January, 2009
    Not getting in the middle of this discussion, mol, as it is a real hot topic in CFA, just wanted to add, make sure which ever vet you pick, that they check his heart first, specifically ask for it, as a cat with heart probs, is a risk for any surgery. Seems like they would do that anyhow, some vets require a blood test, for the same reason, to see if there are any issues, that would require it be handled differently. But ya never know. Just as there are different degrees of car mechanics, and any profession, there are different degrees of vets. :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
  • Annalisa Conserti-JonesAnnalisa Conserti-Jones Member Posts: 5,234
    edited 18 January, 2009
    Sometimes cats don't mark because they are sexually aroused, they do it because they feel threatened by other cats. I see by your profile that you have two cats up for adoption, which I assume are rescues. Is it possible that Truffles feels like they infringed in his territory? That might cause him to react the way he did also. Then again, I think the key is what your vet says. I would take him in and have him checked out for UTIs, etc. The vet can also tell you if he seems physically big enough to go into sexual maturity. If the vet finds it is wholly behavioral, and neutering him does not curb the marking, then it is probably wholly territorial. I don't doubt that you are cleaning any markings with something enzymatic like Nature's Miracle (if not, you have to: otherwise he'll still smell his old marking sites and mark them all over again). So again, if the vet finds no physical causes for it, I'd also add feliway into the mix. It's a spray that mimics a cat's happy hormones. It can tell him "no need to fight over territory, this spot smells like good things". I've not used feliway for marking territory (my two get along pretty well), but I have used it with Boris for anxiety (he does get pretty anxious when changes with us occur, or if we are packing to go on vacation), and I've seen it work wonders and relax him (mostly made him content and sleepy).
  • Joy WaltersJoy Walters Member Posts: 9,276
    edited 19 January, 2009
    When I was doing animal rescue, I took our cats to a Spay & Neuter Clinic who did juvenile spays for us for $25 ($40 for \"outsiders\"). We never had a problem with the neuters because this was what the vet did all day, every day. Occasionally, the glue they used for the spays would release, but even that wasn\'t that often and was promptly taken care of. The advice about finding a vet who is very experienced at this is wise and excellent and right on. I\'d also like to say that not all cats mark/spray. Ernie didn\'t start until he became an outdoor kitty (he was neutered). And Izzie never has. It\'s like furniture shredding. Some cats do and some don\'t. But 8 weeks and 2+ pounds is fine as long as you get the okey-dokey from the doc. Rescue organizations know where these Spay/Neuter clinics are located locally so you might want to contact a few of them to ask.
  • Lisa DaversLisa Davers SacramentoMember Posts: 3,642
    edited 23 January, 2009
    I didn't see your question about his weight til today. You may have figured it out already but you can check Truffles weight using kitchen scales if you have some. He'll probably wriggle a lot but you should be able to get a reasonable idea. If you don't have kitchen scales try holding a 2lb bag of sugar or flour and see how it compares with Truffles. That should give you a good idea if he's already 2lb+.