Removal of Feral Cats Backfires

Monique ReeceMonique Reece CoronaMember Posts: 775
Vindication for feral kitties! http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090113/ap_on_re_au_an/as_australia_rabbit_infestation I think you'll have to copy and paste the link. The story is about how these people in Australia removed feral kitties because they thought they were a threat to the bird population. Well, with the ferals gone, the other populations went unchecked and wreaked havoc on the ecosystem and the birds are still threatened. As a former feral kitty, i'm all about this vindication.

Comments

• Kerry CookKerry Cook Lindenwold /Cherry Hill/ ClemeMember Posts: 14 ✭✭
    edited 17 February, 2011
    :)) Serves them right! My human was literally sick over watching a documentary showing the Aussies going out & shooting & poisoning feral kitties to "save the birds!" When will the rest of the world finally realize that the only way to "help" ferals from being a nuisance is by instilling the TNR programs? There's a local feral community that is being culled by the county (I live in southern New Jersey) & those who were caring for them are being fined & threatened with legal action. This area's animal control laws are screwy. Humans can be fined & have other legal actions put on us for even feeding the birds! I used to love watching the birds at the feeders & in the baths, but the big, bad animal warden made it so my humans can't even put out empty feeders. Goofy, huh?
  • terri echolsterri echols kalamazooMember Posts: 4,758
    edited 17 February, 2011
    when humans killed off the cats in europe in the middle and dark ages, the rat population soared. with rats, came fleas that carried the Black Plague...you'd think Humans would learn...:?
  • MouseMouse Near Camborne,Member Posts: 43,591 ✭✭✭
    edited 17 February, 2011
    Humans never learn, they always think that they know best. HUMMMFFFFFFFF