Have you tried clicker training?

moet kobayashimoet kobayashi Santa Cruz, CAMember Posts: 93
edited 1 February, 2009 in Behavior & Training
Mommy wants to try it, but I'm not so sure...Savannahs are supposed to intelligent and highly trainable, but mom's got it in her head that she can train me to sit, lay, stay/wait, and heel. Have any of you done clicker training? :^: Kinako

Comments

• Tara WTara W St. PaulMember Posts: 939
    edited 31 January, 2009
    That is going to be my next project after I clear off a couple other things on my plate right now. My main goal is to try and teach them to actually walk on command when they're on the leash. Right now I can coax them to walk for short distances, but then it turns into "Okay I'm done following you. Now you follow me!" Which is fine. I don't expect them to behave like dogs on the leash, but I would like to occasionally go somewhere with them instead of doing a giant circuit around the house and next door park. They both know their names and can sit on demand, but I'd like to try to teach them to stay. I'm pretty sure I could teach Gordie to play dead because he already plops heavily at our feet when he wants us to notice him. And Khina is very dexterous with her paws and can catch balls and pick up treats and eat them like a chipmunk, so I think I could come up with a cool party trick for her. I think it'll be a fun adventure for everyone! Good luck to you and let us know how things are progressing.
  • moet kobayashimoet kobayashi Santa Cruz, CAMember Posts: 93
    edited 31 January, 2009
    Awww! I think its wonderful they know how to sit on command...I'm going start training in about a week or so. Are you going to try the "heel" command for walking? I'd love to know how you trained them...thanks so much for the reply! :^: Kinako + Moet
    edited 1 February, 2009
    You know... I don't know that I care so much about them heeling. In my perfect world (where there is no ice and snow, by the way :( ) I would leash up the cats and we'd all go outside. Spend a little time exploring, climb a couple trees and then once in a while I would say "walk" and they would walk. In the same direction. At the same time. Without taking opposite "shortcuts" around trees and fence posts and such. And then be in a different area. Explore. Climb a couple trees. Ambush each other in the tall grass. And then walk somewhere else. Sure it seems like a simple dream, but I don't expect miracles here. The neighbors are already plenty amazed that I have both cats on leashes, so I already feel like a minor crazy cat lady celebrity around here. My darling man, bless him, is a saint. He goes out with me and the cats and is only slightly embarrassed to be walking a cat on a leash. We often end up on opposite ends of the park because we're each following our charge. It would be nice to have all four of us walking along is all. I think it can happen.
    edited 1 February, 2009
    Oh yeah. The sit command. I didn't use a clicker for teaching that, just a hand motion and the command. Treat in fingers, with palm upwards flick the wrist up and say "sit". Their head follows the treat and the butt goes on the ground. "Good kitty!" Give treat. It's pretty easy. Gordie is fairly "simple" if you know what I mean and he caught on after just a couple of tries.
  • Lisa DausmanLisa Dausman Member Posts: 5,216
    edited 1 February, 2009
    Clicker training is very big in the horse show world. I use voice commands with my cats, but if ya need it, can try to find a link on it, seems like it would work the same with cats, as horses. :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D