manx keeps getting icky?

Amber SimmonAmber Simmon Member Posts: 2,703
edited 11 April, 2009 in Grooming
Princess keeps getting poo stuck in her fur. I brush her almost daily and almost every day I find it back there, little clumps. What can I do to stop this?? :? I've never had a long fur cat before

Comments

• Lisa DausmanLisa Dausman Member Posts: 5,216
    edited 2 March, 2009
    Are the poops real soft or diarea like, or are they normal, or are they rock hard. This should only happen on a rare occasion to LH's. :D
  • Barbara HansonBarbara Hanson Member Posts: 1,232
    edited 2 March, 2009
    It sounds like she needs a sanitary trim. We deal with a lot of abandoned and abused Domestic Long Hairs at the shelter and quite a number of them have the same problem. Check with a kitty groomer.
  • Debbie CormellDebbie Cormell Member Posts: 158
    edited 3 March, 2009
    I rescued a Manx kitten once and got it right into a rescue group that knew about this! They said it has something to do with the no tail thing, and special care is needed! Find a good vet or groomer (or maybe even breeders of manx cats) where they can tell you the special needs of having this kind of cat! It wasn't like just getting a rear end shaving, Manx also need something more... sorry I can't remember it was a few years ago and Meow-Mom is uhh forgetful? HEY don't forget MY food!!
  • Barbara HansonBarbara Hanson Member Posts: 1,232
    edited 3 March, 2009
    Lucky Streak is right. I spoke with a vet tech today. She couldn't remember anything except that Manx cats can usually keep clean...so check with a groomer or vet about this situation. Best of luck!!!
  • Gimli_TGMGimli_TGM HurstMember Posts: 29,929 ✭✭
    edited 3 March, 2009
    Gimli's always been clean. Even though his tail is only a half an inch long, he hasn't had any problems. Even though K.C. (Gimli's littermate) , is shorthair, she has had a little bit of "dingleberries" lately. I just comb them off with the furbuster. She's only been with us since August (we gave her away when she was a kitten and we got her back), so I'm not sure if she had any previous problems. I read about the tail thing too. I read somewhere that [rumpy] Manx get "poopy butt" because they don't have a tail to help dislodge the poop, so it gets stuck in their fur.
  • Valerie DurhamValerie Durham Member Posts: 8,724
    edited 4 March, 2009
    Manx cats are prone to anal problems. I know almost nothing about them, but there may be a relationship to their also being prone to spina bifida. Google \"Manx anal problems\" and you\'ll get LOTS of information. By the way, I was always under the impression that Manxes are short haired cats. But your cat is long haired. Is your cat a real Manx, or just have a truncated tail? That may or may not have a bearing on this problem. Personally, I\'d consult with my vet to see if a physical abnormality is causing this. And then, yes, it does seem that some kind of groomer care is needed. I have nine Maine Coons, and they almost never have any of those nuggets in the back--I mean, like around once a year. See your vet, figure out if there\'s a birth defect involved, and also, as another poster suggested, figure out if it\'s soft stools that are the problem, or just--hard nuggets. Oh, and there\'s also the possibility that a change in food might work. Good luck.
  • Lisa DausmanLisa Dausman Member Posts: 5,216
    edited 4 March, 2009
    Yup, they have LH Manx's, here is a link on the Manx. :D:D:D:D:D:D http://www.cfa.org/breeds/profiles/manx.html http://www.cfa.org/breeds/grooming/manx.html
  • Amber SimmonAmber Simmon Member Posts: 2,703
    edited 4 March, 2009
    my.space.bar.broke.lol i'll.google.this.thanks.for.all.the.info. shes.def.manx.fits.the.breed.description.perfectly.personality,lookslol
    edited 5 March, 2009
    Well, then, get a vet check, and good luck with your nuggets.
    edited 5 March, 2009
    By the way, we were intrigued to learn that Manxes can be long haired. Learn something new every day...
  • MaynrysMaynrys Member Posts: 172
    edited 6 March, 2009
    Hi, I am a rumpy and have problems with my cleanness \"down there\". It is a good idea to have your Manx checked for health issues as there are problems that can arise from our tailless state. Mommy did this with me, but I checked out to be healthy in that area. However, I still get dirty around my bum. The vet said, and after observations my folks agree, that the fur around where the base of a tail would be is normally held away from the actual **** by the tail. Without a tail, the fur folds around the **** area. When I have a bowel movement, by bum area becomes dirtier than my tailed step-siblings. The vet recommend that some trimming of that area would help. Mom and Dad have also noticed that my very round, barrel shape impedes my from reaching down there very well. Are you able to reach there well? Perhaps this is an issue with you, too. If it turns out you are healthy and a trim of your fur doesn\'t help, there are pet wipes that can be used to help keep that area clean. Good luck!
  • Manxsters 4Manxsters 4 Manx MansionMember Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭
    edited 11 April, 2009
    Mom says it\'s more than likely a diet issue. She\'s had Manx for 30 years and not one could eat regular cat food. Guess they know they\'re special so insist on special food! :)) We\'ve never had a Cymric (long haired) though. We\'re hoping the problem gets resolved soon. =;
  • Amber SimmonAmber Simmon Member Posts: 2,703
    edited 11 April, 2009
    I think it was the food. I switched the cats food because petco didn't have wellness for some reason. I gave them Natural Balance instead (They love it a lot more) and I noticed she hasn't had a problem since.
  • Gimli_TGMGimli_TGM HurstMember Posts: 29,929 ✭✭
    edited 11 April, 2009
    That's great Princess! K.C. and I love Natural Balance too! :D~a~