tips on maintaining maine coon coats

Khali DarkmoonKhali Darkmoon Member Posts: 1
edited 24 March, 2009 in Maine Coon
One of my girls (both are mixbreed coons) is having problems with her coat. When she was staying at my mother\'s house, which is typically much cooler than my own, she grew her full ruff back and lost the \'summer\' coat she had. We had to get her shaved because she lost it so fast she ended up getting mats in her fur where her \'dust ruffle\' grew in. The same thing is happening again now that she has moved back home. (I have to keep this house warmer because the hubby has arthritis and the chill makes it harder for him to get up in the am.) I broke down and bought some clippers so that I can give her the lion cut again. She is not please with the cut, but I can tell she\'s much happier. I will have to send her to my mother\'s again for a couple of weeks next year and I\'m hoping to avoid having to prune her the way I\'ve had to the last couple of times. (Her sister doesn\'t seem to have as hard a time, but her fur is longer to begin with and her undercoat isn\'t as thick.) I have several kinds of comb, but none seem to do the trick, even with daily brushings. Anyone have any tips?