Help identifying my cat...

braxton davisbraxton davis Member Posts: 1
edited 24 April, 2009 in Maine Coon
When I bought Gwen last year, the owner brought photos of her parents, and both of them appeared to be the standard Maine Coons I had previously researched online. Yet Gwen was only about 6 weeks old. After seeing her in person, even unsure about her breed, I couldn't help but adopt her anyways. I've been told and read that it takes a VERY long time for Maine Coons to mature to their full size, but still find it hard to believe she's so small, being a "Maine Coon". She's very active, vocal, and affectionate. Her tail is about equally as long as her body. The thing that really throws me off is how short her hair is. She's pretty small, she had a severe case of worms when we got her and it took a few months to completely cure. The picture in my profile of her next to an alarm clock is the most recent, about a week or so. I am in Iraq and those are the only pictures I have right now. The other pictures are all about 3 or 4 months old. If you don't think she's a Maine Coon, any idea as to what breed she might be? Thanks.

Comments

• Valerie DurhamValerie Durham Member Posts: 8,724
    edited 24 April, 2009
    Sorry to say this, but I can\'t see ANY Maine Coon in Gwen. Not all Maine Coons have long, shaggy fur, but they always have fluffy tails--the tails get fluffy at about age 5 months. Gwen\'s facial structure looks nothing like a Maine Coon. I would consider her a domestic short hair. Did the owner tell you that she was a Maine Coon? Then I think you got scammed. Or, the parents had some MC heritage mixed with DSH, and Gwen got only the DSH genes.