Knee problems, Luxating Patella, need advice

Karon AtenKaron Aten BelvidereMember Posts: 2
edited 18 April, 2009 in Maine Coon
Hi, I'm 3 years old, and am a pure bred Maine coon. I weigh 22 pounds and am now on a diet to loose 2 to 3 pounds to help with my knee problems. I have been diagnosed with Luxating Patella's,grade ll, both hind legs are affected. This means my knee caps slips out of the groove and dislocates. It makes walking or running hard to do. This doesn't happen all the time, but if I try and run real fast and go through the house like a mad man, it might happen and I stop real quick and cry, I hate this. Now I'm scared to go upstairs, and don't play real hard like I use too. The doctor said I should loose some weight as it would help my knees, also I might have to have surgery. Has anyone else had to have this done? My mom is real upset and needs someone to calm her down. Any thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated. Oh, I almost forgot I"m on cosequin daily and will be for my whole life, and I do have pain pills my Mom gives me if I seems to be hurting. Thank, Leo the Lion