Cat Food Dilema

Michelle MayoMichelle Mayo New LiakeardMember Posts: 276
edited 15 May, 2009 in Food & Nutrition
Hello everyone. Me and Rodney used to eat Eagle Pack Holistic Select Fish Variety and Natural Balance Green Pea and Duck variety. When we moved with Mommy and Daddy we discovered that the only pet store around does not sell either of those. Mom and Dad started feeding us Royal Canin Indoor variety. We liked it alright i guess, but it was never really a favourite of anyone\'s. Due to some financial difficulties we have had to switch our food yet again. We had heard some good things about Iams Healthy Naturals so Mom and Dad bought some. OMC it made me soooo sick. After a trip to the vet and throwing out the Iams the vet recommended their home brand. It\'s called Nutrition First Class. We eat it but don\'t really like it. There is nothing wrong with it really. It is about the same class as Royal Canin, we eat it, the ingredients are ok, but it\'s not the best. Basically Mom and Dad want to get us on a good quality food again. Since we can\'t get EP or NB Mom wants to know of suggestions of top quality foods your cats like. We tried Wellness and Mom liked it but me and Rodney hated it. The only pet store is Pet Valu and they will not order either EP or NB. We tried their Performatrin Brand and threw it up. We need ideas of good quality food to feed. The only other Pet Store is a 2 hour drive from us too:(

Comments

• BROOKE LOWRYBROOKE LOWRY TampaMember Posts: 6,037
    edited 1 May, 2009
    Sabre, sounds like you have had a rough time lately, and I\'m really sorry. Financial difficulties are no fun for the humans, and I\'m sure it is doubly stressful for them given the difficulties you have had with your food. I\'m not familiar with the two foods you mentioned last, but Royal Canin is NOT worth the money, and Iams is not great, either. Are you talking about kibble or wet food? How do you feel about raw?
  • Michelle MayoMichelle Mayo New LiakeardMember Posts: 276
    edited 2 May, 2009
    Hi there. I am talking about Kibble Food. The only Wet Food I will eat is Merrick and I get that every Friday in Place of Supper. I am not sure how I feel about raw diet. Do you mean like cooked hamburg and rice? I think my humans would be worried it would be really expensive.
  • Rebecca NowakRebecca Nowak Orange County, NYMember Posts: 1,397
    edited 2 May, 2009
    Hi Sabre. I know that you are in Canada, are you able to order from petfooddirect or onlynaturalpet? If so, you won\'t have to worry about what the local store has. (Oh, and raw means uncooked meat.)
  • Kerri ZimmermanKerri Zimmerman WinnipegMember Posts: 448
    edited 2 May, 2009
    From my experience raw feeding is way less expensive. I am talking like half what I used to pay for their commercial pet food. It is a little pricey in the beginning for stocking up on meats, etc. But well worth it in the end....I try to buy everything on sale and freeze it. For the month of April I spent a total of $10 for my one cats raw diet. I had most everything in the freezer. I feed my other cat higher quality grainfree canned food and I can tell you it is so much more expensive....if you can do raw it is definately the way to go in my personal opinion :) Our Pet Valu's here in Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada carry Natural Balance. It surprises me that your store does not carry it. What brands do they carry? Do they carry EVO 95% meat or Merrick Turducken? There also is an online pet food store called Petacular here in Canada that you may want to check out. I ordered from it a few weeks ago and it arrived a few days later. Can you get a canned food called "By Nature Organics"? The price per can is comparable to NB.
  • Annalisa Conserti-JonesAnnalisa Conserti-Jones Member Posts: 5,234
    edited 2 May, 2009
    If your cats like Merrick's wet, you might want to try Merrick's Before Grain Dry if that store near you carries it. I've heard good things about it, and was even thinking of switching to it before our cats lost interest in Merrick's wet (they are Wellness Core kitties through and through, they love both dry and wet). Our cats like Avoderm wet too, not sure about their dry food, though. It's worth a try.
  • Stephanie JohnsonStephanie Johnson Member Posts: 556
    edited 2 May, 2009
    I second Boris' suggestion on the Merrick Before Grain dry foods. Also look for Taste of the Wild - high quality grain free, and very reasonably priced. =;
  • Eva viezelEva viezel MontrealMember Posts: 3,008
    edited 3 May, 2009
    Hi, We are also in Canada. There is a Canadian dry food called Orijen (no grain dry) My guys love it. Although it is high in fat. I will be trying Core from Wellness which is also grain free but half the fat. (Ultimately the guys will decide) As for wet, my 3 love Wellness. Have you tried all the flavors? Chicken and herring is the preferred one in this house. Evo is available in Canada. My guys hated Before Grain but it is a good food and comparatively less expensive. Good luck!
    edited 3 May, 2009
    Hi everyone and thanks for all your help. Because we live in such a remote Northern Ontario Community the local Pet Valu only carries a small percentage of brands. I am definetly going to look into having food mailed here if I can;t get them to order something. Bishop...they do carry Natural Balance but only the original and low calorie flavours. I have tried both but neither seemed to hit it off. The sell no Evo or Innova Products at all. Boris...They do carry the Before Grain and we loved it. But they only order. 2 1 pound bags a week and sometimes not even that. I have asked them if they will get it regularily but again they don\'t know. Peter J...they do not carry any Orijen or Acana products here. I know of them and they are great foods but they just don\'t carry them. I haven\'t tried the wellness wet because they get Merrick wet once a week and they love it, but thanks for the suggestion. I am going to talk to the store owner and see if they can start ordering the Natural Balance Green Pea and Duck or the Before Grain more often and in larger sizes. Even if they only order 4 or 5 bags once a month, I would buy them all. Thanks for all your help. I hope everything works out ok.
    edited 15 May, 2009
    Well we went to pet valu to see if they would order the food we requested...they didn't. We decided to go into the feed store to see what they had. The only sell Purina, Nutrum and now cat food. We tried they now and our boys are eating it really nicely. We asked if they get it all the time...they said they can continue to order it if we continue to buy it. And it is fiarly cheap...10 pounds for 35 canadian dollars.
  • Kerri ZimmermanKerri Zimmerman WinnipegMember Posts: 448
    edited 15 May, 2009
    That's wonderful that you found something they like ;c; I have to ask - I always hear people saying "feed store" and have always wondered what that is???
    edited 15 May, 2009
    MOL Where we live is a very rural area with alot of farms. A feed store sells feed for livestock. Huge, 100 pound bags of chicken feed, grain, etc. Sometimes, like in our case, they sell dog and cat food.