Dear Catster reader,

Almost two years ago, we invested numerous resources and rebuilt the Catster community. With new hardware, software and personnel, we did our best to satisfy the many users who shared their thoughts, pictures, questions, and love for and of their pets with us and friends. It was a thriving community with many users. We hoped, however, there would be more like you.

Times and habits have changed and we are sad to announce that the Catster community will be closing down on July 20, 2019.

Catster magazine, www.catster.com and the associated social media sites are NOT shutting down. We encourage you to continue reading the content found in the pages of the magazine and the web sites, commenting through the mechanisms provided and sharing your ideas and comments with us and your fellow readers.

Instructions for accessing pet profiles were shared with everyone in 2017. The instructions can be found elsewhere within the forum. AFTER JULY 20TH, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ACCESS THIS CONTENT. And, effective immediately, we are no longer able to answer questions about the community.

Thank you for your support and we look forward to serving you through our magazine and website.

Cheers,
Catster

My kitty ate a bit of green onion...

Valerie DurhamValerie Durham Member Posts: 8,724
edited 9 May, 2009 in Food & Nutrition
I realize that onions are fatal to cats. She seems okay right now, but what should I do? It\'s Golden Week in Japan and no vet offices are open.

Comments

• Sheena WalterSheena Walter Member Posts: 799
    edited 4 May, 2009
    Is there not an emergency vet or a hotline you can call? I don't know where you are in relation to Tokyo, but I did a quick Google search for E-vets in Japan and found this: http://www.pet-hospital.org/en/index.htm Keep us updated. I hope your kitty will be okay.
  • Melissa FordMelissa Ford Santa CruzMember Posts: 3,914
    edited 4 May, 2009
    You could get what's called Heinz Body anemia. This is a condition in which the red blood cells are destroyed and this results in anemia. The specific type of anemia is called 'Heinz body anemia' because the red cells develop an abnormality called a 'Heinz body' which can be seen under the microscope. This anemia can occur as a reaction to certain medications and also in cats who eat onions. When your vet gets back into town, have a CBC run... Heinz Bodies can start to form in as little as 7 days or as long as 60 days.
  • Valerie DurhamValerie Durham Member Posts: 8,724
    edited 7 May, 2009
    Cabot died.
  • Jo YagerJo Yager ShenandoahMember Posts: 205
    edited 5 May, 2009
    Oh no, we are so sorry to hear about poor little Cabot. We sure are purring for you and your family. :((
    edited 5 May, 2009
    I am so sorry to hear about Cabot. Please, let us know if we can do anything at all for you. I know we are on the other side of the world, but we care about you. We will be praying for you, my friend.
  • Leanne FroebelLeanne Froebel Member Posts: 1,730
    edited 5 May, 2009
    So sorry to hear about the loss of Cabot! Purring for you and your family.
    edited 7 May, 2009
    It was my fault for letting Cabot eat a toxic substance.
    edited 5 May, 2009
    Can anybody make wings for Cabot?
    edited 6 May, 2009
    Don't say such things! It was not intentional --it was an accident. Don't be so hard on yourself. We care about you. When you say things like that, it scares us. Your life has so much value. Here's a thread for those who would like wings for their kitties: http://www.catster.com/forums/groups/thread/554062 We are here for you, friend. Please don't give up.
  • SammySammy Member Posts: 3,391
    edited 6 May, 2009
    Please don\'t blame yourself for this terrible tragedy :(( Your other kitties need you to be strong. We are saying prayers for you and your family during this sad time.
  • Leanne FroebelLeanne Froebel Member Posts: 1,730
    edited 6 May, 2009
    Please don't blame yourself! This was a very sad and tragic accident. Perhaps Cabot's death will save another kitty as others hear and share her sad story.
    edited 7 May, 2009
    My life does not have value. I killed a cat. I deserve to die.
    edited 7 May, 2009
    My life has no value. But I wil try to get wings for poor Cabot.
    edited 7 May, 2009
    That should have been spelled "will." I broke my shoulder and it is very difficult to type.
    edited 6 May, 2009
    I\'m sorry if I sound cold. I am in a state of shock. There is good news--someone wants Hilles, who is SO affectionate and intelligent. And I\'m going to keep Currier--her decision, not mine. She is semi-feral, but always by my side.
  • Vanessa BobackVanessa Boback TampaMember Posts: 3,149
    edited 6 May, 2009
    It's understandable to be upset, but please don't beat yourself up. You did not mean for this to happen. It is very tragic and we are all thinking of you. |:| So sorry for your loss.
  • Barbara HansonBarbara Hanson Member Posts: 1,232
    edited 6 May, 2009
    All life has value! Unfortunately accidents due occur in life. A very elderly friend once told me...What you cannot change...you must endure! You have to know that everyone on Catster is concerned about you at this time. This is one purrson who has learned from your misfortune...I did not know about onions and will be very careful in the future!
  • Shelley CoxShelley Cox CarbondaleMember Posts: 2,752
    edited 6 May, 2009
    It's Fluff. We didn't realize that it was your kitty who ate the green onion. We are shocked that it killed her, as Delyte and Peri have both eaten tiny bits of onion over the years and nothing happened to them. [Well Peri is dead but it was longstanding kidney failure.] This must have been a terrible over-reaction to the substance in green onion to kill her so quickly. Our deepest purrs to you at this terrible time. But you must not beat up on yourself for this. Accidents happen, sometimes cats eat things they should not and sometimes there are no repercussions and sometimes they are terrible ones. It is more like a twist of fate than direct causality. A few years ago there was a woman who turned on her dryer and did not know her kitty was in there. She felt truly horrible and no one could console her. You know from reading all of this on Catster that she is on the Rainbow Bridge now and she doesn't blame you and loves you for taking such good care of her all of her life. Our person feels very guilty because we are hiding under the sofa terrified while the man puts in our new bathtub. She wanted to catch us and take us to board at the vet with Delyte and Stella, but no, we were stubborn and didn't want to be caged. We didn't know any better--and we still won't go to be caged and get out of here, even though there is much ugly noise and drilling and thuds. We sure don't have much common sense and our person was unable to save us from the effect of our bad decision. This is a minor one though but sometimes they are major bad decisions. You'd think cats wouldn't like the taste of onion, but I guess they do. At least it is not like antifreeze, where people have made a poison that is alluring to animals and kills them. We are all purring for you, and all the cats and people at our vet's office--the vet says it is an unusual overreaction. Please pmail us and send us your phone # if you need to talk about this. We wish you had more people to support you in person, but know that we are all supporting you here. Gaint shaky purrs! |:|
  • nati bastidasnati bastidas CaliMember Posts: 470 ✭✭
    edited 6 May, 2009
    poor lil cabot... but now she is a rainbow bridge angel kitten. dont blame yourself...kittens are a handful and sometimes it is impossible to keep track of all of them. lots of purrs, michis
  • nati bastidasnati bastidas CaliMember Posts: 470 ✭✭
    edited 6 May, 2009
    I learned from this too...I didnt know about onions but maybe now one more kitty life will be saved in the future bc of this story. purrs, michis
  • edited 6 May, 2009
    Please don't beat yourself up for the loss of your dear kitten... it is not your fault, it was not intentional. She lived a good life while she was with you, and she was loved by all who met her. Please do not caption all of her pictures as "Dead." as I find this very disturbing and sad.
  • Lissa NicholsonLissa Nicholson SydneyMember Posts: 1,562
    edited 7 May, 2009
    Val, this was not your fault. This was a horrible confluence of circumstances. It was not deliberate, and you did not do this to her. Grief and guilt are powerful feelings, but they can also be misleading. As is so often said, everything is 20/20 in hindsight. I keep thinking that if I had been more aware, more focused, I could have saved Pablo and Daisy. The guilt I feel has me seeing them again when I wake during the night. But they're not really there. Just like you didn't really kill Cabot. The grief may make you feel that you did, but I promise you, you did not. You are not a killer or an animal abuser. You brought that little girl into this world surrounded by love, care and affection. She had a wonderful life with you, Spot and the MC crew. Please don't let your grief become her legacy.
  • edited 7 May, 2009
    Cats are curious creatures, especially as kittens. Consequently, there are many dangers throughout the house (electrical wiring, plastic twisty ties, rubberbands, etc.,.). I had a friend whose kitten was killed when it tipped over an ironing board that had been left standing. Now my friend is absolutely paranoid about leaving ironing boards up. Cats are also opportunistic eaters. Generally carnivorous, their curiosity will often lure them to play and/or nibble on dangerous things. Most animals instinctively avoid poisonous plants, but there are some plants that don\'t trigger that instinct. Accidents happen. Guilt is normal. Grief is normal. Self-flagellation, however, accomplishes nothing. The best thing you can do is learn and take the lesson forward. Do some googling and find out which plants are toxic to cats, then take measures to keep those plants away from your kitties. It\'s a hard lesson, we know, and our hearts ache for your sorrow. |:|
  • Stephanie DejanStephanie Dejan Des PlainesMember Posts: 4,239
    edited 7 May, 2009
    Cabot, I am so, so sorry. I didn't know how lethal onions are either until I read your post. What a terrible tragedy. We can't forsee everything. Kittens eat bad things, one of my cats got hit by a car, two have been attacked by dogs. All were preventable, but not foreseeable. Life can be cut short at any time. That is why we must value the present so highly. Take care of yourself in your pain. The grief will pass, but the love you have for Cabot will not. |:|
  • MrD_Sam_RazaMrD_Sam_Raza New ZealandMember Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭
    edited 9 May, 2009
    I too didn\'t realise how sever a reaction to a tiny piece of green onion would be. I\'m sure many a cat has eaten one of those, with out a second thought. There is onion flavour in Green onion potato chips and I know cats looooove to eat chips. Even though the human doesn\'t like us to eat them, we can be fast if one ever drops on the floor. I suppose you might be able to liken it to a peanut allergy the humans can get. Some humans can react so badly it can be life threatening and others don\'t even react at all. Thank you for letting us know as it is a lesson for us all. I can\'t believe how many dangers there are in one\'s home. You can\'t eliminate them all. Like dishwasher detergent, plants, not to mention the other things. The human saw a cool house on the internet that had ramps going up the wall for the cats. We would love to have those in our home but the human had second thoughts because…. When we were kittens we loved to climb up on a very very high window ledge ( the human was horrified, she would get a step ladder and bring us down ) Well one day we went up there, and before the human could get the ladder, Mr D decided to back up, well I was behind him. The human was screaming at him to stop but he didn\'t, and I fell off the ledge. I was sooo lucky I landed on the cushion on the chair below, but the situation could have been a lot worse. A little more to the right I could have hit the arm or the back, things could have gone so wrong. We read (on Catster) about a cat falling off their cat tree and he broke his back. I along with many here could tell you of many many stories were we have been so lucky. We can get up to so much mischief it\'s not funny. I think there is no way we can be protected from all that would harm us, or if we were, what life would we have. Locked in a padded room, with no toys as many of those could harm us too. It’s so scary how fragile life can be but how much ones life can touch our hearts. Many purrs to you and your family and you have taught us all something.