Dear Catster reader,

Almost two years ago, we invested numerous resources and rebuilt the Catster community. With new hardware, software and personnel, we did our best to satisfy the many users who shared their thoughts, pictures, questions, and love for and of their pets with us and friends. It was a thriving community with many users. We hoped, however, there would be more like you.

Times and habits have changed and we are sad to announce that the Catster community will be closing down on July 20, 2019.

Catster magazine, www.catster.com and the associated social media sites are NOT shutting down. We encourage you to continue reading the content found in the pages of the magazine and the web sites, commenting through the mechanisms provided and sharing your ideas and comments with us and your fellow readers.

Instructions for accessing pet profiles were shared with everyone in 2017. The instructions can be found elsewhere within the forum. AFTER JULY 20TH, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ACCESS THIS CONTENT. And, effective immediately, we are no longer able to answer questions about the community.

Thank you for your support and we look forward to serving you through our magazine and website.

Cheers,
Catster

Transitioning to Adult Formula?

edited 16 May, 2009 in Food & Nutrition
Hi all, Xerxes mom here with a quick question. I know right now it's too early to change him to adult formula food, but since it was on my mind I figured I'd ask recommendations before I forgot! Right now he's on Science Diet Kitten, I would like to transition him to Wellness at a year but for the life of me I can't decide between the Core or the Complete Health. I've heard good things on both, but really would like personal opinions =) Also, what is the difference between the indoor formulas and regular? I thought maybe it had less fat or calories, but Xerxes need all of that he can get since his metabolism is ultra-high, being a sphynx.

Comments

• Janet PlymireJanet Plymire IllinoisMember Posts: 344
    edited 11 May, 2009
    Wellness Core is a whole life food, so I think you\'d be fine to start slowly switching him over now and get him off Science Diet. Core is a grain free food and high in protein. Complete Health is also a good food, but has grains like rice and barely in it and is more appropriate for adult cats. Personally, I would start the transition to Core now, but I would also feed at least one meal a day of a quality canned food like Wellness too. It will help keep Xerxes hydrated which is ultra important since his skin is more exposed than cats with thicker coats. Plus there are numerous other benefits from feeding cats a canned food diet. If you\'d like to read more on this issue take a look at www.catinfo.org Xerxes, you are one cutie!
  • Tina BTina B Vancouver IslandMember Posts: 2,238
    edited 11 May, 2009
    Hi Xerxes you could start to change now if you are going to feed a high protein diet. The Science diet food is full of grains carbs and just really isnt needed for our obligate carnivores. Better yet switching to an all wet food is the best thing, Wellness and the Core ones are pretty good, also Evo grain free is good too. The site that Bandit suggested has some really good info.=; and dont worry you will not get fat on these high protein diets if you feed the proper amounts, after your kitten reaches about 8 months then feed the amount with this formula weight of cat x 13.6+ 70 = the amount of calories to feed a day. (The cans and bags are always overstated)
  • edited 11 May, 2009
    thank you both so much! great info, and much appreciated.. you've helped me out a bunch =)
  • Dawn HarmanDawn Harman SpeedwellMember Posts: 1,079
    edited 12 May, 2009
    I agree with what has been said Get him switched slowly. 75% of what he is on now to 25% of the new food, for two days. Than 50/50 for two days. Then 75% new to 25% old for two days and you should have no problems , such as diarrhea. That is what I tell people when they switch from an all grain and by-product food to Nutro Max or Complete Care. Yes I know some here do not like this food but my cats have been eating if for over 22 years and 3 have lived for 22 years and one for 19 years. No uti or vet trips for health reasons in the bunch. NOT looking to start a food war mol =^^= Good Luck
  • edited 15 May, 2009
    ok another question! Should I do the same mixing ratios with the wet food also? Should I wait until the dry is switched over completely to start switching over the wet, or vice versa?
  • Dawn HarmanDawn Harman SpeedwellMember Posts: 1,079
    edited 16 May, 2009
    No you do not need to worry about all that with the wet food. Most of the grocery store foods are about the same . With the ones you have talked about though, they are a better quality. But switching from a kitten to an adult wet is easy. I also found out what makes our "Indoor " formulas better for keeping the weight off our cats. It is L-carnitine which helps indoor cats convert fat to energy and build lean muscle mass to offset indoor cat's reduced activity and exercise levels. So I would not recommend an Indoor formula just yet. But if u notice any weight gain u may want an indoor food later on. Young kitties need extra fat for all there running around. Good luck and I hope this helps you =^^=